PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a lift gate?

Chicago Landscapes
08-08-2008, 08:56 PM
We're doing a good amount of hard scape jobs in the city where using a skid steer for removal is impossible because of accessibility. We've been using our dumping trailer when we can find space to park it , and also have been ramping the wheel barrels into the truck. Each method is a real pain a**, but it gets done. I've been toying with the idea of getting a lift gate installed on our f-450to lift to lower the wheel barrels in the truck. Getting compactors and sod cutters out of the truck seems like it would be made a lot easier as well. Does anyone have one on their truck? Thanks for any imput

LB1234
08-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Have you looked into any of the walk behind skid steers?

PaperCutter
08-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I worked for a company in Ohio that had them, ten years ago. I just felt like the lift gate took forever to get to the top, and it was narrow- you had to shove the wheelbarrow up over the lip, turn sideways, and position it perfectly. Otherwise, on your way up you'd clip the dump bed with the edge of the wheelbarrow and tip over. I'd get anxious watching my hourly guys slowly riding the lift gate to the top, thinking "man, there goes my production % bonus."

On the positive side, we were attached to a nursery- the lift gate was THE only way to get a 4" caliper tree on a ball cart to the ground with two men for a $100 planting job.

Ajax
08-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I used a lift gate a lot when I worked for a company that did mostly natural stone. If you don't have machine access, you can roll a large boulder on to a lift gate to get it in and out of a truck in a pinch when the rock is too big or akward to wheel barrow or ball cart. You can also get a large tree out of a truck and down to ground level with a lift gate if a machine is not available. Otherwise, using ramps for the usual wheelbarrow load seemed easier and faster to me.

scenicexcellence
08-11-2008, 10:50 PM
wheeling without the lift gate will be quicker
Time is money.

Chicago Landscapes
08-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Thank's for the feedback guys. I went to a couple dealers with our standard wheelbarrow yesterday and tested them out in action. What I found was they raise in about five to six seconds, lift between 1,600- 3,000 lbs. and beind that the platform was 42" deep, I was able to turn the wheelbarrow from the gate into the truck without a problem ( I loaded it with stone to be completely sure). It was better than I thought. For what this lift will be doing two to three times a week, it's what I'm looking for. I'm gonna have one installed one a truck we're buying this winter. If they made city lots wide enough for skid steer access, things would be easier. Oh well.
Thanks again-