PDA

View Full Version : Toro Dingo reliability of various engines and such questions?

Shady Brook
08-08-2008, 11:01 PM
I got to fool around with a tx420 yesterday for a few minutes. I was afraid the visibility may not be great, but found it just fine. I loved the controls! The controls were vastly superior to the Ram Rod I tried out a couple weeks back. I have talked to several people, and read some stuff where the 20 hp Kohler appeared to fail quite early in it's life. Is this what you fellas have observed? Is the 25 hp motor vastly superior? I do not want a unit that will not even last 1000 hours before a major failure.

What other kind of expenses can I expect other then the tracks?

Are there any other mini skids with a smilar control setup, that are also reliable units?

Boy if the motors are ok, I think I will add one to my crew. I just wish it had a bit higher lift height with the loader.

Thanks a bunch
SB

Superior L & L
08-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Used a 420d for four year. It worked great with no problems that i can think of. After two years the harley rake started to have some break downs. But i would for sure go with diesel

Lawnworks
08-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I have a 425. I have about 1100 hours on it so far... pretty much zero problems. I had the carb cleaned out a couple weeks ago. Tracks last about 600-700 hours if you keep them tentioned, aligned, and don't run them if you have a bearing go out. I have not been able to justify a diesel... 20k, no thanks. I paid less than 5k for dingo 700 hours ago.

You should check out ironplanet.com. The last two weeks they have had about 3 tx525 narrow tracks w/ about 200 hours go for $7500-8500. Not a bad deal.

I think most all of the mini-skids are pretty good... the only ones that suck are the boxers, controls on wheeled dingos, and ram rods... everything else pretty good... vermeer, ditch witch, toro, boxer, etc.

CALandscapes
08-09-2008, 11:46 PM
I paid less than 5k for dingo 700 hours ago.

You paid under $5k for a 425 w/400 hrs?

Where?!

PerfectEarth
08-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I just bought a 525 wide track diesel and it's great. Of course, it was significantly more, but I really wanted the engine life and power of the diesel. I've had it a month and have actually barely used it! (slow month...) But I have some good work lined up now, and it'll be going the next couple months.

It was hard to bite the bullet and buy one (had 40 hrs on it, it looks BRAND NEW, not a mark on it) but as a solo landscaper, I really need some compact lifting power. I'm really hoping it saves my body... no more struggling with larger b&b stuff!

TPendagast
08-10-2008, 03:50 PM
The ditch witch sk series is superior to all.

I would suggest demoing an SK650.