PDA

View Full Version : Advertising by vehicle?

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 10:10 PM
ok, so i want to have my truck lettered soon. my true goal is to look like i landscape for a living, i mean there are tons of white p/u trucks in town w/ mowers that cut grass. i want my truck to look like thats what it is dedicated for. i got a price to get my entire truck done today, and im wondering if it's going to be worth it. i wouldnt mind getting some calls, but thats not my reason behind it, i want to look like an LCO not a weekend warrior. i need some feedback though before i pull the trigger. i want to do this right not just get magnets that can be taken off to make it my personal truck, we're talking entire truck. so this is a large investment and i need help. want all feedback, does it work or not? is it worth $513 for the ENTIRE truck? let me know.

thanks

MOturkey
08-08-2008, 10:22 PM
If it floats your boat, go for it! As far as whether it is worth it or not, only time will tell, but $513 doesn't sound unreasonable.

mississippiturf
08-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Go for it. That is a reasonable price. The only negative I can forsee is the resale value if and when you decide to depart with the truck.

FromtheGroundUp
08-08-2008, 10:26 PM
sounds like you've already made you decision. if you feel that is important to get your name out there in the grandest way, then spend the cash. But if your strictly looking for new business this is not going to make you phone ring more. i run my bussiness to capacity with only my sign on the back of my trailer. after scrapeing lettering/glue off my old truck to sell it. i wont make that mistake again.

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 10:29 PM
thanks, but i really want some experience. like i said, the biggest thing is looking like a pro. so im thinking i want to do this, but i wanna know if anyone thinks im being stupid. i want my bottom line to increase, but i also want to invest money back into my company. i think this would make me look that much more professional and give people a better 1st impression as well as giving me more credibility.

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Go for it. That is a reasonable price. The only negative I can forsee is the resale value if and when you decide to depart with the truck.

the truck is a w/t edition and will probably be driven till the wheels fall off. when i looked at kelley blue book it didnt even say a price, it just said haul it for scrap, jk. but it aint worth much b/c its older and the miles are getting up there. but it has been taken care of and will go another 100k i would imagine. so resell isnt really an issue.

MileHigh
08-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I think that would be a great investment....

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 10:41 PM
I think that would be a great investment....

i see some hesitation in your reply? am i right? and if so how so?

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-09-2008, 12:34 AM
My truck is badged front to back, tailgate and all. I only paid like $350 for mine, but it's mostly just text.

Works great, though you have to drive well b/c your phone #'s right there for everyone to see!

I have people roll down windows at lights and give me their address to come bid, etc. I also hear "I see you around town all the time" type comments - meaning that I am HIGHLY visible and recognizable...

Go for it, but maybe shop a bit more on the price. And make SURE whoever does it guarantees their work. Vinyl doesn't always stay on like it should. It's a big help to be able to call them up and have them fix a problem they created...

Daily Lawn/Landscape
08-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Letter it up! I get calls from people that see my truck in the neighborhood and around town. I picked up a very large landscape renovation because the customer saw my truck at McDonalds at lunch time. I track where all of my calls are generated and since I have had the truck lettered, 3yrs I have gotten 27 calls from people seeing my name and number on the side of my truck. Some other things to think about with a lettered truck is commercial insurance, DOT if your over 10,000 GVW. So it's not just looking like your a pro. Hope this helps.

James

Clapper&Company
08-09-2008, 08:45 AM
we letter our trucks, and have got some calls off of them!

I got a call to plow a parking lot last winter and it turn out to be a good gig, were now taking carew of there whole place

Mostly we get, I see your trucks every where so we called you

ALC-GregH
08-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Works great, though you have to drive well b/c your phone #'s right there for everyone to see!
I see this as a problem with me, I have a heavy foot. LOL I try to act civil most of the time. :D

MAD87
08-09-2008, 09:33 AM
As far as the cost is concerned, if you get ONE account from it the lettering is paid for! Right now I have a sign on the back of my trailer and door magnets, but I too was thinking of having my truck lettered. I decided against it when thinking of the resale value though. Since you are planning on driving it to its grave, that won't matter!

DT Lawn Care
08-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I got some magnetic signs, that you can take on and off. They're pretty big, and easily readable. Probably about the size of lettering. I got a pair of them (one for each side) for about $25 I think shipped to me!

Don't know if you'd want em, but here's the link to the place I think I got em...

http://www.vistaprint.com/car-magnets/car-door-magnets.aspx?pfid=050&xnav=TsrItem&xnav=TsrItem

:)

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I got some magnetic signs, that you can take on and off. They're pretty big, and easily readable. Probably about the size of lettering. I got a pair of them (one for each side) for about $25 I think shipped to me!

Don't know if you'd want em, but here's the link to the place I think I got em...

http://www.vistaprint.com/car-magnets/car-door-magnets.aspx?pfid=050&xnav=TsrItem&xnav=TsrItem

:)

i'll look at them, but im wanting the entire truck lettered

Metro Lawn
08-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Advertising is always a good idea. We have 14 trucks and spending over $500 per truck isn't in the budget. Here are some pics of what I have stuck with. The decals are under $100 per truck and I install them myself. It isn't too flashy but gets the point across. It also gives a "fleet" look. Even our magnets that we use until the trucks are painted are done this way as seen on the spray truck.

hockeypro1411
08-09-2008, 03:14 PM
got a thing for dodge, eh? lol whatever works for ya man. and the trucks all look great!

Metro Lawn
08-09-2008, 03:15 PM
got a thing for dodge, eh? lol whatever works for ya man. and the trucks all look great!

Yeah, guess you can say that. 12 Dodges, 1 Ford, and 1 Chevy.

Az Gardener
08-09-2008, 03:24 PM
I have applied that type of decal for my old boss (about 20 years ago) but only for the p/u's, did you do the trailer the same way? How much are the decals for the trailer? What quantity did you have to buy to get the price? I am looking at 2-k per trailer to get my rigs done with a wrap, and that is just too much $$$ for me. I had forgot all about the decals. Great inexpensive alternative. Thx for the reminder.

Metro Lawn
08-09-2008, 03:36 PM
I have applied that type of decal for my old boss (about 20 years ago) but only for the p/u's, did you do the trailer the same way? How much are the decals for the trailer? What quantity did you have to buy to get the price? I am looking at 2-k per trailer to get my rigs done with a wrap, and that is just too much $$$ for me. I had forgot all about the decals. Great inexpensive alternative. Thx for the reminder.

I had my sign guy do the trailer only due to the size of the decals and I didn't want to screw them up. Trailer cost me just under $400 for both sides and the rear door. I buy the decals as I need them, he keeps my info in his system so he can make them again and again. A pick up costs about $60 for 2 fenders, 2 beds, 2 doors, and tailgate. If they have a full glass back window, add $15 for a full size ( M-E-T-R-O ) to put on it.

Lawnut101
08-09-2008, 06:00 PM
thanks, but i really want some experience. like i said, the biggest thing is looking like a pro. so im thinking i want to do this, but i wanna know if anyone thinks im being stupid. i want my bottom line to increase, but i also want to invest money back into my company. i think this would make me look that much more professional and give people a better 1st impression as well as giving me more credibility.

I think that you will look more professional. And people will see your add, then see your truck in front of one of your jobs and call you if they want something done.

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I think that you will look more professional. And people will see your add, then see your truck in front of one of your jobs and call you if they want something done.

this is what im thinking exactly. not going to generate tons of income, but worth it in the long run.

howierd3866
08-09-2008, 07:19 PM
heres what some of ours looks like...also its just looks more prof. our equipment is mostly the same so everybody just thinks that one machine is all over town...all our work is from our well known good services we provide...so it not some much as an ad but just like to keep the name out there and at the same time look prof.
As for Metro Lawns those are some very good prices it cost us $400.00 per truck and $125. per tractor

KrayzKajun
08-09-2008, 07:23 PM
DO it! $513 is a an awesome price. do you have a pic of wht the truck is gunna look like?

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-09-2008, 08:02 PM
I have a 7 x 16 Enclosed Trailer That I would love to get done. But never have time to drop it off!!

brucec32
08-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Anyone worth a darn gets all the business they want with basic advertising and signage. There are plenty of companies, but way too few good ones. From your icon there it looks like you perhaps ARE a weekend warrior and you're trying to overcompensate. If you've got another job so what? Don't be ashamed of it or try to fake otherwise. If you have what it takes and do good work reliably it won't matter how flashy your rig is.

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Anyone worth a darn gets all the business they want with basic advertising and signage. There are plenty of companies, but way too few good ones. From your icon there it looks like you perhaps ARE a weekend warrior and you're trying to overcompensate. If you've got another job so what? Don't be ashamed of it or try to fake otherwise. If you have what it takes and do good work reliably it won't matter how flashy your rig is.

im not a weekend warrior, im a volunteer FF. it doesnt interfere w/ landscaping at all. and im not ashamed of that, or if i needed a 2nd job, i just want my first impression to be one of professionalism from the truck to me. everyone has a mower on the back of their truck, if my rig looks like im dedicated and in this long term (as having the entire truck done would) then more people would consider me. this is my opinion, i just want feedback from others.

JHLC
08-09-2008, 11:31 PM
I just had this done a few weeks ago. Everyone I talk to tells me they see me all the time. I had my last trailer done with just vinyl letters, I guess it just blended in with the rest of the traffic. This one really stands out.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/jhlc_2006/photo-1.jpg

Az Gardener
08-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Now thats a wrap, how much? I'm guessing about 2-K

DuallyVette
08-10-2008, 01:39 AM
I just had this done a few weeks ago. Everyone I talk to tells me they see me all the time. I had my last trailer done with just vinyl letters, I guess it just blended in with the rest of the traffic. This one really stands out.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r180/jhlc_2006/photo-1.jpg

I've seen several trucks & trailers "wrapped" with colorful advertising. They usually have lettering ON a colorful photo that is way too "busy" and hard to read. Yours looks great ! Separating the lettering from the photo works really well.

CustomKare
08-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Dually...........Awsome grafix. One of the best congrats

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-10-2008, 09:34 AM
If you really want to know if it;s a good idea then look at any one bringing in really big money.It's called branding.TruGreen,Valley-Crest,Scott's,Brickmen,and many not even that big are a few that come to mind.How any one may feel about any of these guys personaly does'nt change the fact that they know business.Any one who cant see that probly should'nt be in business.That dose'nt mean this is right for you,but it is most certainly not wrong or a bad move business wise for any of us

mowerbrad
08-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Around here I see no LCO that has graphix covering their trucks. All the companies includeing the very large and well known ones just have text and the company logo. They have the company name and phone number on the doors with the logo, and the name and number on the tailgate. Thats all they have, it is simple yet effective. It will give your truck the professional look that you are going for.

Genlandscape
08-10-2008, 01:09 PM
We do only windows, I won't keep a fleet vehicle one it hits 100,000 miles we sell them off and replace them. Just my mentality. Our trailers are done in vinyl decals and this represents some size. If you think it will help you grow, go for it. Gotta love the old school Dodges, nice looking fleet.

dura to the max
08-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Around here I see no LCO that has graphix covering their trucks. All the companies includeing the very large and well known ones just have text and the company logo. They have the company name and phone number on the doors with the logo, and the name and number on the tailgate. Thats all they have, it is simple yet effective. It will give your truck the professional look that you are going for.

sorry, when i said graphice i meant logo/name/number, but using as much space as possible. use as much as possible w/o having clutter, and trying to keep it all proportional.

CustomKare
08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Just lettered my truck last Tuesday.....today I got 2 jobs because of a neighbor across the street from a job I was at today said "I see that you offer black dirt....Come see what I need. Another next door to another job today said I see you do landscaping....I have some bushes that need attention. A lettered truck does give you a sense of legitimacy and professionalism. It's also my rolling billboard. I will park it at high traffic areas also to get more biz when I feel ambitious.

Just my 2 cents

dura to the max
08-10-2008, 11:08 PM
thats what i'm hoping for...^^^^

TXNSLighting
08-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I only paid $213 bucks for my graphics...both doors, the bed, and tailgate...

Here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=240492

steve m
08-12-2008, 04:03 AM
got two lawns this year because of them thats 1800 more a year

dura to the max
08-12-2008, 10:45 PM
pulled the trigger today

got the entire truck done for $250. rear window, 4 doors, bed, front quarter panel, and windshield. ill get pics soon.

mississippiturf
08-12-2008, 10:47 PM
pulled the trigger today

got the entire truck done for $250. rear window, 4 doors, bed, front quarter panel, and windshield. ill get pics soon.

OKAY, you're holding us in suspense. We want pics and we want them NOW!!!!:laugh::laugh:

dura to the max
08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
soon...

ill probably start a new thread in the picture forum though...be watching

bone1
08-12-2008, 10:56 PM
pulled the trigger today

good price! where did you get it done? i was wanting to do mine also! post some pics soon!

dura to the max
08-12-2008, 11:03 PM
your in wr aint you? give me a call, 478-284-6230

TXNSLighting
08-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Comeon man put the pics on here!! or atleast a link here... i dont want to search for it

dura to the max
08-12-2008, 11:39 PM
i aint got the pics yet, ill do my best tomorrow.

TXNSLighting
08-12-2008, 11:50 PM
alright just remember were all waiting with anticipation. you can pm me when you get em. ha!

dura to the max
08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
got the pics finally!

heres the link!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=2466596#post2466596