PDA

View Full Version : Low Pressure in Zone

baddarryl
08-08-2008, 10:38 PM
1 zone with low pressure. With the solenoid opening it it has low flow and pressure. If I turn it on by hand it sprays at full pressure. Going over there with a volt meter and new solenoid Monday as I suspect that is the culprit. Any other ideas? Valve is a 1" Richdel 205 S. Are these good valves? They look to be. Thank you. Sorry it has been so long, somehow forgot about this superior forum.

Wet_Boots
08-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Replace the valve diaphragm.

bicmudpuppy
08-08-2008, 11:10 PM

You mean actually REPAIR something? Someone might call you a TECHNICIAN then. Can't have any professionalism in this industry.

Wet_Boots
08-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Okay, check the blinker fluid first. Then replace the diaphragm assembly. :)

DanaMac
08-09-2008, 08:41 AM

Ditto. Very common with that valve

baddarryl
08-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Yup, it was the diaphragm, but I learned something today. The replacement diaphragm looked different than the existing even though the valve was the same model and look. I called my supplier and told him about the difference and he said it would work. Wrong. Many of you may know this, but both the solenoid and diaphragm are different. I don't know how many years ago they changed it, but from now on if I come across one of those older styles I will just replace the whole valve. Pain sometimes, but I don't see a way around it. Learned that one the hard way. Fortunately it was alone in the field so no rebuilding a manifold involved. Thank God. Thanks guys.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-12-2008, 09:33 PM
You didn't have a 205 or whatever. We repair 205s all day here. Never a problem. Great valve.

baddarryl
08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Yes it was actually, but the actual body of the valve was shaped different on the inside than the new one as well as the diaphragms were different.

Mike Leary
08-12-2008, 10:24 PM
:::falls over:::

Mike Leary
08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Yes it was actually, but the actual body of the valve was shaped different on the inside than the new one as well as the diaphragms were different.

Welcome to the head scratching world.

hoskm01
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
:::falls over:::
boxed wine'll do that to ya!

HA. Hi Mike!:)

txgrassguy
08-13-2008, 12:16 AM
I don't repair valves anymore with the crappy soil and extremely harsh water common to my area of operation.
Yank the defective assembly and replace with a new valve.
Had way too many warranty call backs for just replacing defective diaphragms so never again.
Solenoids are a different matter as long as the existing valve assembly appears undamaged.
Found this to be common enough following power surges/lightening strikes.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-13-2008, 04:11 AM

I'm telling you the new one was not the 205 we know from many years of dealing with it. Take pics. They sold you the wrong repair valve/parts.

bicmudpuppy
08-13-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm telling you the new one was not the 205 we know from many years of dealing with it. Take pics. They sold you the wrong repair valve/parts.

A new 204/205 is identical to a new 205 in respect to parts swapping. You either didn't have what you think you had, or the parts guy didn't know what he was doing.

Go ahead and replace valves guys. It is your profit margin and time you are wasting. If you have excessive call backs from repairing good valves..............yep, that's what keeps good repair techs in business. Industry is full of yank and replace it wannabee's anymore. If that sounds harsh and abrassive, it was meant to be. The one thing I don't miss about working a res/com repair truck is the competition out there digging up yards because the guys doing the work are "experienced". BTW, experienced seems to mean they once ran the clock at the football field while in H.S. to help the janitor out.

Waterit
08-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Had a guy call yesterday, told me he had "years" of experience with repairs, especially controllers. A little further along in the conversation I learn his experience was gained swapping out controllers at his parents' house because they could never figure out how to get the system going. Turns out he was trying to control a pump with a 24V timer and no pump-start.

I hired him, gave him my job and a signing bonus.

DanaMac
08-13-2008, 08:27 AM
irritrol has a valve (not sure of number) that looks like a 205 from the outside, but uses a 2400 diaphragm

baddarryl
08-13-2008, 11:31 AM
irritrol has a valve (not sure of number) that looks like a 205 from the outside, but uses a 2400 diaphragm

Thank you.

To clarify, a 205S was in the ground and I used a 205T's guts to repair it. My understanding of the difference between T and S is slip vs. threaded. The inside should have been the same, but is wasn't. Sorry no pics, but trust me on this one, yes I am learning, but I double and triple checked the model numbers.

Point is lesson learned. Replace the frickin valve!

Wet_Boots
08-13-2008, 11:48 AM
You will have zero chance of convincing anyone of anything without photos. One of the absolutes in the sprinkler biz is the repairability of the original Richdel R204 valve (R205 was their part number for the flow-control version) The original had a flat diaphragm with nine holes along the edge.

Now, if someone is selling diaphram assemblies for an Irritrol 2500 valve as repair parts for the old R204, you will be looking at something different. No holes, and a 'beaded' edge.

By the way, the diaphragm for the 2500 is slightly different than the diaphragm for the 2400, since the first works against the pin in the bonnet, and the second works against the tube in the body.

baddarryl
08-13-2008, 11:59 AM
My greatest need right now seems to be a digital camera!

Wet_Boots
08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
There has been a bit of confusion over the part numbers used for these valves, and Richdel didn't help when they introduced their jar-top with R204A (or something like that) as the model number.

Mike Leary
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I hired him, gave him my job and a signing bonus.

If he ever wants to relocate, we'll take him.

Waterit
08-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I'll airmail him to you, unless he lasts one full day on that your-self-propelled trencher I'm going to hand him in the AM. Of course, that's IF he then shows up on Friday.

AI Inc
08-14-2008, 06:22 AM
He will show up, its the ones that you actualy want to keep that dont come back.