PDA

View Full Version : Pro Tech Pro-48; Is this a good purchase

baddarryl
08-08-2008, 11:41 PM
So I am just learning about the electrical side of things (diagnosing) and was wondering if this would be a good purchase for me? Or any other suggestions you might have. I do mostly installations, but am getting the occasional repair. I want to be more prepared and I think this could help me reduce diagnostic time. Thank you.

https://yard-boss.com/store/store.php?crn=258&rn=626&action=show_detail

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Don't ask me about locators, :dizzy:

bicmudpuppy
08-09-2008, 01:04 AM
A good multi-meter would tell you more if you learn how to use it.

Waterit
08-09-2008, 02:18 AM
ML, we all have our bad days - you just had more of them all at once than normal people do.

Baddarryl, listen to bic, he KNOWS. My 2nd purchase would be a tone generator/tracer and an inductive amplifier probe.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-09-2008, 09:00 AM
I just bought one with the toner. Needed it more so for the toner. I can use a voltmeter (multi meter). I will give feedback in time.

baddarryl
08-09-2008, 09:41 AM
So I am thinking all these functions they claim is more and easier to get with a Multi (abeit I am the novice level of using one). I like the idea of being able to find solenoids and some of the other things they claim. Here is their list for convenience:

"Activates and Holds Solenoids Open.-Generates and Traces 1Khz Tracing Tone.-Checks Clock 24v Power Output.-Tests for Open or Shorted Wiring.-Uses 2 9v Batteries (not included).The Pro48 Tech Tool Sprinkler Solenoid and Clock Checker is a new low cost test set for irrigation contractors and maintenance personnel. The Pro48 performs a series of simple procedures to test, verify, and identify solenoid, wire, and clock problems. Sprinkler solenoids can be checked using either activation or chatter modes. Lost or buried solenoids are quickly found as well by listening for the chatter. Wiring can be verified and tagged with the built in tone generator function. Clocks also are tested for proper 24v transmission with a simple LED power check. Made from a grommited, thick walled plastic case, the highly visible yellow Pro48 Tech Tool Sprinkler Solenoid Activator is designed for rugged use in the field. Item: Pro-48 Actuator"

Waterit
08-09-2008, 09:46 AM
So I am thinking all these functions they claim is more and easier to get with a Multi (abeit I am the novice level of using one). I like the idea of being able to find solenoids and some of the other things they claim. Here is their list for convenience:

"Activates and Holds Solenoids Open.-Generates and Traces 1Khz Tracing Tone.-Checks Clock 24v Power Output.-Tests for Open or Shorted Wiring.-Uses 2 9v Batteries (not included).The Pro48 Tech Tool Sprinkler Solenoid and Clock Checker is a new low cost test set for irrigation contractors and maintenance personnel. The Pro48 performs a series of simple procedures to test, verify, and identify solenoid, wire, and clock problems. Sprinkler solenoids can be checked using either activation or chatter modes. Lost or buried solenoids are quickly found as well by listening for the chatter. Wiring can be verified and tagged with the built in tone generator function. Clocks also are tested for proper 24v transmission with a simple LED power check. Made from a grommited, thick walled plastic case, the highly visible yellow Pro48 Tech Tool Sprinkler Solenoid Activator is designed for rugged use in the field. Item: Pro-48 Actuator"

All that sounds great, kind of an all-in-one gadget. Chattering is great if the solenoid still works, you have really good hearing, and the valve isn't covered with a foot of mulch, dirt or sod.

Still recommend you get a multimeter to go along with it.

irrig8r
08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Contact the manufacturer, who has changed their name to Armada Technologies to get the most current model. They also have their own ebay store where you might find a good price.

http://www.armadatech.com/temp_gen.php?pageid=home

bcg
08-09-2008, 01:21 PM
The chatter box and valve activator features are nice to have. The toner is also pretty useful. I have the Greenlee version of this but, I also have a multimeter and a 521. This is a good tool but it won't replace the other 2.

Don't expect the chatterbox reature to sound like a Weathermatic clock chatter does though. It's really only useful for picking out a single valve in a manifold, not finding a lost valve in the lawn.

irrig8r
08-09-2008, 01:26 PM
I beg to differ. I've found lost valves under a foot of Algerian ivy using the PEI Chatterbox.

bcg
08-09-2008, 02:19 PM
The PEI is the one that goes between the clock and the valve and uses the valve as a power source, right? That's going to be getting 25 - 30 VAC from the clock so it'll be louder. These little handheld deals only have 18 VAC when the batteries are brand new and quickly drop to 15 - 16 VAC so they are nowhere near as loud.

irrig8r
08-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Correction. My Chatterbox was made by RCo parts.

My Station Master 24AK is from PEI/ Tempo. There is a newer 24B that includes a chatterbox. Not sure what the VAC output is... (Tempo site doesn't show it)

http://www.tempo-textron.com/prod_list.cfm?cat=800&subcat=801

bicmudpuppy
08-10-2008, 01:16 AM

"Activates and Holds Solenoids Open.
Same function as a station master. Three 9v batteries connected together does the same thing and won't go bad or eat a single battery near as fast.

-Generates and Traces 1Khz Tracing Tone.-Checks Clock 24v Power Output.-Tests for Open or Shorted Wiring.-Uses 2 9v Batteries (not included).
This is what a toner does, 75A/212B combo is all I've ever used, but it has never let me down. The sending unit will test continuity and power via the LED.

The Pro48 Tech Tool Sprinkler Solenoid and Clock Checker is a new low cost test set for irrigation contractors and maintenance personnel. The Pro48 performs a series of simple procedures to test, verify, and identify solenoid, wire, and clock problems. Sprinkler solenoids can be checked using either activation or chatter modes. Lost or buried solenoids are quickly found as well by listening for the chatter. Wiring can be verified and tagged with the built in tone generator function. Clocks also are tested for proper 24v transmission with a simple LED power check. Made from a grommited, thick walled plastic case, the highly visible yellow Pro48 Tech Tool Sprinkler Solenoid Activator is designed for rugged use in the field. Item: Pro-48 Actuator"

I've never used a chatter box of any kind. My hearing is poor from years of running equipment, etc. I doubt I would ever hear it. Back before progressive stopped being progressive, many suppliers sold the "progressive bundle". Was the 521 with toner and station master all together. Back in '95, I remember Longhorn in Dallas selling them for under $600.

The price isn't bad if the toner actually works as a toner. Just don't let the LED's and gadgets get you away from using and trusting a good meter.