PDA

View Full Version : Hey Walker guys-learned a new trick today

KS_Grasscutter
08-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Ok, so we've all got them: the lawns with a gate that is just a little too small. Well, if you know me, you know that I despise using any mower that I cant ride on a seat. I found a solution.

I have this lawn with a sizeable back yard, and a gate the Walker with deck on will NOT go through. Solution? Take the deck off. Sure, I dont gain that much time, but by taking the deck off, I can run the mower through the gate, then put the deck back on, and cut the lawn from the comfort of my Walker seat, instead of following around the stupid 21" mower.

This works well with a 42" deck...but a 48" may be heavy enough that it may not be as simple as just carrying the deck through the gate.

punt66
08-09-2008, 12:39 AM
I would pass on it. Thats too much of a pain.

hockeypro1411
08-09-2008, 12:46 AM
make some kind of quick-disconnect for the deck and you'll be in business.

KS_Grasscutter
08-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Really it comes off as quick as it needs to. Undo the springs, pull 2 pins, undo the PTO shaft and it slides right off. Off-On takes maybe 2 minutes at most.

tlb9596
08-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Really it comes off as quick as it needs to. Undo the springs, pull 2 pins, undo the PTO shaft and it slides right off. Off-On takes maybe 2 minutes at most.

Bet you'll save more than 2 minutes riding vs walking, plus you'll be alot more productive towards the end of the day because you didn't wear yourself out walking all day.

If the gate isn't terribly elaborate, offer to install a larger gate for a nominal price to make life even simpler.

dishboy
08-09-2008, 01:44 AM
I found pulling the deck a PIA , I just use the 36 WB if the walker won,t go.

Turf Dawg
08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I have thought about doing that before, but just could not make myself do it. Instead I have my son use the 21's on them. Child labor is great. :laugh::laugh:

ed2hess
08-09-2008, 08:54 PM
I would pass on it. Thats too much of a pain.

I definitely agree that will bite him eventually....been there tried that and one day I was in a hurry and didn't follow the exact process and couldn't get the darn deck on or off. I can hardly get them on/off on flat concrete.

dwc
08-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Been there done that. The hardest part for me is getting the pto shaft lined back up while holding the 48 ghs deck. I did this one day on a back yard that is about 3500 feet when it was about 100 degrees....never again! When it's cool its not as bad but still feels like I have wrestled a bear when I am done.
You also have to take it off and put in on to go in and take it off and put in on to come out!

iseegreen
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Thats why i run a 36in ghs walker. I can get through all the gates!

dura to the max
08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
never used a walker so i dont know anything about removing the deck, but the problem i see is bagging. most guys use walkers for the bagging capabilities, and if you have to haul off the clippings you would have to remove the deck more than once if the lawn was larger than one hopper full. like i said, never touched a walker, but my $00.02.

MJB
08-10-2008, 01:57 AM
I hated doing that with my Walker and I was fast at it, but it was a pita in 100 degree heat. I used the mulching deck too which was the esiest to take off an on. The bagging deck was a pain lining up the chute to the blower , and lining up the drive shaft coupler... Now if they say there is a fence I ask them to measure their gate before I even aggree to look at the job. However, I would be to busy if I mowed fenced back yards.....maybe I should look into that if business ever slows down.....What mower to use?

bigclawn
08-10-2008, 08:43 AM
I think many of us tried this very early on our Walker careers and realized it was much simpler to have a good 36 as back up! The 36 will also climb slopes, ditches, etc that your Walker can't.