PDA

View Full Version : reclaimed water meter reading too high

zliminator
08-09-2008, 11:25 AM
got a call from customer to come out and find what must be a leak because of a high water bill. Could not find anything wrong with the system. (meter not running when system is off - everything else seems fine). His bill last month was for 100K gallons. He only sets it for 2x a week - and it only runs 2 hours at a time so I figured it couldn't be > 500gal/week. The only thing I could tell him was to have the water co. put in a new meter. He is going to get me copies of all the bills since the reclaimed water meter was put in (the reclaimed water meter only runs the irrigation). Just wondered if anyone else has encountered the same problem.

Dan

Waterit
08-09-2008, 11:35 AM
got a call from customer to come out and find what must be a leak because of a high water bill. Could not find anything wrong with the system. (meter not running when system is off - everything else seems fine). His bill last month was for 100K gallons. He only sets it for 2x a week - and it only runs 2 hours at a time so I figured it couldn't be > 500gal/week. The only thing I could tell him was to have the water co. put in a new meter. He is going to get me copies of all the bills since the reclaimed water meter was put in (the reclaimed water meter only runs the irrigation). Just wondered if anyone else has encountered the same problem.

Dan

We see bad meters all the time. Also see HO's that wash cars with reclaimed, leave hose running overnight, and can't figure out where the went.

Our local reclaimed purveyor charges a flat $5 per month, use all you want. Although they have recently started an odd-even watering restriction on the reclaimed (not enough people pooping or showering???).

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Meters do have a habit of going bad, but they usually fail in your favor. Does the
system have a master valve?

zliminator
08-09-2008, 04:45 PM
there's a valve ahead of the meter which I shut off.

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Is it a electric valve or a normal gate or ball valve?

jimmyburg
08-09-2008, 07:47 PM
check the controller, homeowners tend to play with it. or do a consumption reading of each zone.

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 08:39 PM
check the controller, homeowners tend to play with it. or do a consumption reading of each zone.

One would assume the controller was checked. My "consumption reading" is hauling our 125cfm compressor over, capping the heads, leaving the water on, add air, you'll find the leak. Might want to know how to adjust the compressor before you blow the entire system up, though. :nono:

baddarryl
08-09-2008, 10:51 PM
One would assume the controller was checked. My "consumption reading" is hauling our 125cfm compressor over, capping the heads, leaving the water on, add air, you'll find the leak. Might want to know how to adjust the compressor before you blow the entire system up, though. :nono:

What PSI you use when doing that?

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 11:01 PM
What PSI you use when doing that?

I had my compressor modified so as to winterize small & large systems.
When looking for a leak, we'll start slow, 40 psi or so with the water on.
That should give 90 or so, walking the zones should give air bubbles at the
leak. If no effect is noticed, we'll crank it to 125 psi, with water. & blow
the break through the roof. Might as well at that point.

AI Inc
08-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Is that 100k for a month , or for a 1/4 of yr? Ive never heard of a monthly water bill.

Tom Tom
08-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Dan

So 4 hours a week = 240 minutes.

So the system runs at about 2 gpm? Are we talking drip here?

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-10-2008, 10:46 AM
So 4 hours a week = 240 minutes.

So the system runs at about 2 gpm? Are we talking drip here?

Owned...

my system runs roughly 360 gals a zone on 5 rotor zones and about 200 on a spray zone.

Waterit
08-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Is that 100k for a month , or for a 1/4 of yr? Ive never heard of a monthly water bill.

Our water guys here bill monthly. They can't wait to get their hands on our $$$.

We have 4 different water cos. servicing our metro area (they don't overlap).
My water co. does not have a sewer plant, so we only pay for water. Next area east does, so it's water and sewer. To the west it's water, sewer, reclaimed, and garbage all on one bill. Further west is water, sewer, and garbage, and includes recreational meters, which are only read November-Jan. The bill for them is based on those historical months. Someday they may wise up and read recreationals June-Sept and see how much $$ they're losing with the present method.