PDA

View Full Version : Embarrasing question but need to ask

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-09-2008, 11:59 AM
I help some seniors with foundation watering. I use a real easy to set hose timer but it is failing way too fast. Anybody had good success with a hose timer they can recommend? I'm afraid I'll have to go digital.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-09-2008, 12:07 PM
i have an old battery operated 4 station hunter remote time i can send ya pete..

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 12:17 PM
I've used these for years, I like their products.

irrig8r
08-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Some people I know like the Dig...and they have a couple to choose from...

http://www.diy.digcorp.com/drip_irrigation/products/cat/2

http://www.diy.digcorp.com/images/retail_products/9001D-L.jpg?1200075571 http://www.diy.digcorp.com/images/retail_products/9001EZ-L.jpg?1200075573

And Irrigation Direct makes one...

http://irrigationdirect.com/products/db.asp?id=DD-HEDT

https://www.irrigationdirect.com/products/images/pdf/HEDT_Cvr_lft.jpg

Wet_Boots
08-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I know there used to be a spring-wound timer that took the place of a solenoid, so watering was like setting an oven timer.

Mike Leary
08-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I know there used to be a spring-wound timer that took the place of a solenoid, so watering was like setting an oven timer.
About as simple as it could get.

DanaMac
08-09-2008, 02:06 PM
You're a hack!!!! Just kidding. I have the Dig one Gregg shows on the left. I use it for MY "yard". 5004 on a stand, move it around. I like the Dig valve/controller.

bblawncare
08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
I've used Gilmour (from Lowes) and Melnor (from Home Depot). They are both digital (easier for me to set and more flexible) and both around $40. I use them all the time for new landscape plantings and new sod. I "rent" them to my customers since most of them have those glorious index valves which do not allow me to set an individual zone to water the new plantings. I set them up on the hose with sprinkler or soaker hose and they can forget about it. After a couple/three weeks I take it home and it awaits its next job. Been very reliable.

bicmudpuppy
08-10-2008, 12:29 AM
I used and sold a bunch of Home Depot Melnor timers for some builder specials I put together several years ago. CR500 rotors w/ .5 and .75gpm nozzles on garden spikes. I had real good luck with them, but they don't sell them anymore. The area the guys were building in, had very poor pressure. About 4gpm was the most we could run on a bib and still get the 25-30psi to raise the heads.

I broke down and bought a Hunter battery operated controller and 1" valve last year and that is what I use for myself, but that is the pricey answer. (Almost a C-note as I recall)

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-10-2008, 07:39 AM
I've used Gilmour (from Lowes) and Melnor (from Home Depot). They are both digital (easier for me to set and more flexible) and both around $40. I use them all the time for new landscape plantings and new sod. I "rent" them to my customers since most of them have those glorious index valves which do not allow me to set an individual zone to water the new plantings. I set them up on the hose with sprinkler or soaker hose and they can forget about it. After a couple/three weeks I take it home and it awaits its next job. Been very reliable.

That silver one with the knobs from Lowe's and gilmour is what I used to use but it has been failing me a lot lately. I try to stay away from the digitals since these are elderly folks and I try to keep it as simple as possible. I'd like to find that Gardena in Mike's first post and that Dig on the right in gregg's post to try out.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-10-2008, 08:14 AM
i ended up ordering the Dig mechanical and the Direct connect to compare. While at Direct Connect I got 5 valves to get free shipping and try out. I will give feedback on them. Hopefully they will be swap outs in parts for the WM nitro valve.

irrig8r
08-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Those Irrigation Direct valves should work fine for you. Remember that they use a different solenoid (same threads as the Irritrol.)

I had to swap diaphragms on three this past week that were not opening. They tell me they were from the first batch, and they changed suppliers.

The new diaphragms have a hollow center portion, the old ones had a hole that went through, as if they were considering a metering rod and changed their mind, and it was sealed/ filled with some kind of epoxy-ish material.

They were softer and flimsier and had bad cracks in them. The new ones are thicker and stiffer and hold their shape along the bead much better.

Take yours apart. If they don't have the newer style diaphragm, give Bill a call and ask for them.

He can probably tell you about retrofitting WM valves too.

There was an earlier issue with pinhole leaks of water from solenoids...:dizzy:...but they changed suppliers on that too.

Each time they send me extra parts to make up for my troubles.. I've stuck with them because I like their customer service, and it just seemed like growing pains...

Started with a box of 10 valves and installed them as replacements for some plastic 1" Buckners and Richdel jartops on a couple of jobs. I've just been watching to see how they perform before I order more.

Seems like they've worked the bugs out now, so your timing is good.