PDA

View Full Version : help getting business

travolta87
08-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Hey guys

My approach to start and get new customers is going to be the door to door gig which i have alot of experience with in other industries

was wondering if anyone else has tried it and what the success rate was

If you have done it i would love to hear your pitch to people, intro, close etc also would like to know what the negatives are that people throw at you and how you overcome them

I think Dago said he did some of it when he started and would love to hear from him as well

Green and growing
:canadaflag:

MowHouston
08-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Hey guys

My approach to start and get new customers is going to be the door to door gig which i have alot of experience with in other industries

was wondering if anyone else has tried it and what the success rate was

If you have done it i would love to hear your pitch to people, intro, close etc also would like to know what the negatives are that people throw at you and how you overcome them

I think Dago said he did some of it when he started and would love to hear from him as well

Green and growing
:canadaflag:

Not a lot of people do this. You see some new guys talk about it every month or so in this forum, but I never see anyone with results.

Most guys will tell you that door to door sales is frowned upon. One of the best general ways to do it is post cards or door hangers. But it is pretty late in the season. Not to say that you cant do it.

I'd say give it a try then get back here and let us know how it went. It just seems to me that door to door salesman is a thing of the past. Many neighborhoods around here will have signs as you enter saying "No soliciting"

CALandscapes
08-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I'd go for the flyer/door hanger idea.

If someone knocked on my door, interrupted my dinner, and proceeded to pitch a lawn service to me, I'd be a bit perturbed. :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Puddle of Oil
08-09-2008, 11:57 PM
ive had someone come knocking on my door early this year, and i asume the rest of the neighberhood, havent seen em sense. and door flyer things dont work. why u ask? cuz only newbs do that. dont waste ur time and money like i did 5 years ago. mmmmk

kayeproperties
08-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Id be pissed if someone pitched me a lawn sales pitch. I have heard of a lott of ways to try but I do not think the door to door is the way to go. But ya never know. I do think its a thing of the past. I do see in most of the places I cut they have no soliciting signs so ya better check to be legal.

ambersLawnmowing
08-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Door to Door is NOT what you do. I personally get more business from Craigslist then anything else. I also hang flyers at other Businesses. The other big one is teh Phone Book, for me it costed $200 for the first year. Seems like alot when you just start, but if you have a nice straight forward ad they do call.. Off that first $200 i made about 12 times that in sales.. I did alot of advertising, but when i got the place to work i generally asked. "Where did you get my name and Number" to feel it out to see where the ad's are paying off. Just my 2 cents.

Door to Door....LOL or even Cold Calls....LOL It is just like SPAM>>>> DELETE...

mowerman2u
08-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Phone book has worked for me

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
08-11-2008, 08:57 AM
well the phone book here is like $130 a month so I will pass LOL.
But I started last year and got %90 off of craigslist but now It's half word of mouth now!\But I did get some shirts made up too !!
I think the door to door thing only works if you are a girl scout selling cookies :)

Big C
08-11-2008, 11:02 AM
An ad in the local paper has worked great for me, then craig's list would be second....that door to door stuff is not worth the effort..plus it makes you look desperate for business.

Jay Ray
08-11-2008, 01:24 PM
When I'm home at the end of the day (today it is raining and the ground is soaked), I don't want to talk to someone about carpet cleaning, pressure washing, floor replacement, new curtains, etc. They are quickly dispatched. Like the wizard says, "It's family time."

Lawn-Sharks
08-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Knocking on doors is a no! no! in some areas and its called soliciting work (not advertising) and doing it door to door talking to people will only get you in trouble when some on calls the police on you! (check local laws first) also do not put your flyers in peoples mail boxes that a no! no! also..The post master will have a chat with you and if he is being a prick you will not be having a good day after is is done with you.....Stick to door hanger ans post cards...Good Luck!

NickWilson
08-11-2008, 04:37 PM
We have had some luck with the flyer route. Most of our business comes from word of mouth. We also do some freebie work for the city. That has helped us with gaining some name recognition around town. We help maintain some of the green space in our city and also work on graffiti removal around town.

iseegreen
08-11-2008, 08:50 PM
I would never do door to door sales but disagree with those who say its a thing of the past. Sure some areas you cant do it and alot of people don't like it but if your good at it you can pick up alot of work. I know pest control companies and home security companies get most of there business this way. Some of those door to door salesman make six figures in a short amount of time. It is alot of hard work though. I have got most of my high end and best paying customers through direct mail. It is expensive but pays off in the long run.

david shumaker
08-13-2008, 08:31 PM
My first few jobs came from leaving flyers at houses in the neighborhood while I was walking my dog. I would also give people a business card if they were in their yard. Now most new business is from referrals. I still put out a few brochures if I'm walking my dog, but I've gotten more selective at which houses I leave them at. I've gotten some jobs from people while I was getting gas or parked in a shopping center. I've learned that you need to screen them first. They might live 50 miles from you or want you to do yard work for food or a soft drink.