PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Rebuild!

TomberLawn
08-09-2008, 04:58 PM
My truck has 108k miles (had 103K when I got it) and has had a fifth wheel in the bed at some point. Being a Laramie SLT (top of the line in its day), I figure it has probably pulled a camper or something big and fancy like that. The turbo was making a shrill growling noise, so it's probably been shut down hot and baked the oil and bearings.

I had been contemplating getting a new or reman turbo for my truck, but the cheapest ones are almost $800. I found a rebuild kit for $90 and decided to give that a try first. My friend and I rebuilt the turbo last Saturday and it sounds a lot better. It whistles instead of growling. I snapped a couple pictures of the engine without the turbo and of the turbo sitting on the table. The rebuild went well and I consider it a good $90 and 3 hours spent. We found out that the wastegate is frozen shut, but that's not a problem--it'll actually build a couple more pounds of boost.

There is still a noise that doesn't sound quite right, but my friend and I think it may be a charge air leak somewhere (hopefully not the intercooler). The next thing I'll do is replace the rubber boots that connect the turbo tubing to the intercooler and the intercooler to the intake tube. That'll be about another $100 and a few hours.

Sorry if the pictures are a little dark.

davis45
08-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Leave the silencer ring out so it really whistles. Hope everything works out well with it.

TXNSLighting
08-09-2008, 06:37 PM
yeh definately ditch the silencer ring.

TomberLawn
08-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I've had the silencer ring out for a few months. It does sound a lot better. What helped out with power and sound the most was a 4" performance muffler. I put a 90 degree turn down right in front of the axle and angled out. It sounds awesome, like big truck but without the drone like a straight pipe.

TXNSLighting
08-09-2008, 11:57 PM
mmm bigger turbo....well thats what i woulda done.