PDA

View Full Version : getting license to use roundup?

mowisme
08-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I never had enough work to bother spraying weeds..I just mow part time but now I got a chance to get a commercial buisness that could lead into there other places in town. But weeds in the wash stone is a must. I really don't know what or where to begin. cost or anything. But looks like might be a plus to get just for this contract. Not a done-deal but if I am to do it..I must deal with weeds..so I want/need to get proper certification and traing so I know what I'm doing. ( Children are present there too from Monday- Friday) Thanks- Gene

Jason Rose
08-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Frankly I would not bother getting licensed for one property. Your expence per year for the license is going to be almost a grand, between the license itself, liability insurance with polution coverage, business license, recertification costs, and I'm not sure what all is required by your state.

Either sub out the spraying to someone who is certified, or take a sprayer over there after hours and do it without the lic. Wait, did I say that?

mowisme
08-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Shame on you..you said that. I won't do it if I can't afford to or go thru the hassle. The big guy in the sky watches my every move..So legality is a must. This could lead into there other franchises in town (3) but..I'm not going to drop a grand just on assumption that I may get the others. Time in training isn't really a problem thou. Thanks on advice. Geno

lawnman_scott
08-10-2008, 11:23 AM
look in the fert/spraying section. There is a thing there about requirments for each state. Or post a thread there. All states are different, the federal government hasnt got inot this yet, I guess they havent figured out how they can make money off of it yet, but they will.

Genlandscape
08-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I would sit down and determine the cost ratios for contracting your spraying, versus obtaining licensure. Then make your decision. Here all we have to do is take a six hour course and testing for the "Commercial Landscape Contractors Limited Spray Applications Certification" ( wish they would have called it something simpler). this license allows us to apply anything with a caution label in bedding areas. It is $300.00 to take the test, and free to keep the license if you know where to get CEU's. My insurance went up $150.00 a year.

David Haggerty
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
OMG!!! This thread is so full of misinformation I hardly know where to start!

First of all pesticide application is controlled by the federal government thru the US Dept of Agriculture. It's administered thru your local state dept of agrigulture.

I was recently investigated by the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture. These folks are serious as a heart attack!

The investigator told me a story about an LCO who didn't "have the time to get licensed". He warned him once, watched him, then had him arrested.

"Applying Pesticide Without a License" can amount to as little as having an empty pesticide container in your truck!
You'd better notice too that this law doesn't say Applying "Restricted Use" Pesticides., It's ANY pesticide applied to someone else's property. Even if you're applying no more than household ammonia! If it's killing weeds, it's a pesticide.

I was found to be to be applying pesticide without proper certification. That amounted to applying roundup to weeds in the shrub beds, when I was only certified for turf application. I got a warning. I got the proper license within a month! Got certified in a spare catagory for good measure!

But I'm still not certified in "aquatic weed control" which is needed to control weeds in a waterway. Like in "wash stone".

To get certified contact your county extension agent.

If you think I'm nit picking, I'm not! The Dept. of Agriculture is LOOKING for the small fry. Because they know that's who is misapplying pesticides. Doing dumbshit stuff like using pure undiluted pesticides in cracks in the pavement, or applying roundup for aquatic weed control when it's clearly not listed for that application.
Pretty soon that crap is leaching into the water and then there's hell to pay.

Genlandscape
08-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Haggerty is correct..... The feds lay out a set of rules, a minimum standard. Each individual state usually makes adjustments to those rules, an elevated standard. Contact your county extesion office or your state's dept. of ag. to find out what you need. I am not a fully licensed operator and only hold my limited to apply "roundup" in my residential clients beds. We contract all of our commercial lawn and ornamental apps. Don't screw with chemicals unless you are certified in that category, or oyu will get burnt.

david shumaker
08-10-2008, 01:07 PM

First of all pesticide application is controlled by the federal government thru the US Dept of Agriculture. It's administered thru your local state dept of agrigulture.

I was recently investigated by the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture. These folks are serious as a heart attack!

The investigator told me a story about an LCO who didn't "have the time to get licensed". He warned him once, watched him, then had him arrested.

"Applying Pesticide Without a License" can amount to as little as having an empty pesticide container in your truck!
You'd better notice too that this law doesn't say Applying "Restricted Use" Pesticides., It's ANY pesticide applied to someone else's property. Even if you're applying no more than household ammonia! If it's killing weeds, it's a pesticide.

I was found to be to be applying pesticide without proper certification. That amounted to applying roundup to weeds in the shrub beds, when I was only certified for turf application. I got a warning. I got the proper license within a month! Got certified in a spare catagory for good measure!

But I'm still not certified in "aquatic weed control" which is needed to control weeds in a waterway. Like in "wash stone".

If you think I'm nit picking, I'm not! The Dept. of Agriculture is LOOKING for the small fry. Because they know that's who is misapplying pesticides. Doing dumbshit stuff like using pure undiluted pesticides in cracks in the pavement, or applying roundup for aquatic weed control when it's clearly not listed for that application.

In Richmond, VA area they check your trailer or truck if you are in lawn care. I haven't been checked yet. I've got my certification for turf applications and I'm reading the manual now to take the test for "Right of Way" certification. I have to have a different license for control along fences, etc.

Insurance is required (which you should already have) and will probably be asked for if doing commercial work. Mine cost about $600.00 a year through State Farm. The cost of the test and manuals is worth it if you are doing enough chemical applications.

ed2hess
08-10-2008, 03:51 PM

And what is the governments position on use of vinegar?

Jason Rose
08-10-2008, 04:36 PM

I've heard that these "organic" methods are a little sketchy. Look at the vinegar label... I don't see a weed control listing on the label, nor where it can be used. So techinacally it's NOT LABELED for such use. That means if you are applying it you are not legal.

Also, I hope the person that posted about all the "misinformation" in this thread wasn't talking to me! I did my best to keep it short and sweet, and said what I'd do in the situation. However I'm not worried about a man in the sky watching over me... It's the state inspector that issues the $5,000 fines. I've NEVER even heard rumors (till now) of anyone being "arrested" for applying without a license. They much prefer to hit you in the wallet and make money, that's what they are out there to do anyway, make money. That's just my opinion though...

DLCS
08-10-2008, 08:55 PM
In Richmond, VA area they check your trailer or truck if you are in lawn care. I haven't been checked yet. I've got my certification for turf applications and I'm reading the manual now to take the test for "Right of Way" certification. I have to have a different license for control along fences, etc.

Insurance is required (which you should already have) and will probably be asked for if doing commercial work. Mine cost about $600.00 a year through State Farm. The cost of the test and manuals is worth it if you are doing enough chemical applications.

You had better check your insurance policy because State Farm doesn't insure pesticide use. They use to insure for only granular but that change several years ago. My sister has worked for State Farm for 25 years thats how i know this.

OrangeToys
02-04-2010, 11:37 PM
if its not to much trouble can someone show me the link to where i need to look for what license I need to have (don't worry i haven't put anything down)

David Haggerty
02-05-2010, 07:04 AM
http://mda.mo.gov/plants/pesticides/commnonpub.phpif its not to much trouble can someone show me the link to where i need to look for what license I need to have (don't worry i haven't put anything down)

fl-landscapes
02-05-2010, 08:09 AM

If it for a salad, no problem. If its to control a pest.....you need a lis. Does not matter what product you use. If you are charging for control of a pest on someones property you need a pesticide lis.

JayD
02-05-2010, 08:50 AM
I knew a guy who was spraying round-up on a church parking lot that he attends. He said that if he is not getting paid for doing it, then he can not get fined. Is this right?

dishboy
02-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I knew a guy who was spraying round-up on a church parking lot that he attends. He said that if he is not getting paid for doing it, then he can not get fined. Is this right?

Depend on which state. In some states a Maintenance guy can apply non-restricted pesticides if it is in the normal maintenance of a property, he uses non motor driven equipment and does not advertise as a applicator. This is not the case in most state though.

JJS
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
If it's only one property, try to find a licensed applicator that you feel is honest, and sub it out to him. I'm sure you'll find someone you can make a deal with

fl-landscapes
02-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Depend on which state. In some states a Maintenance guy can apply non-restricted pesticides if it is in the normal maintenance of a property, he uses non motor driven equipment and does not advertise as a applicator. This is not the case in most state though.

In fl you can get a lawn and ornamental lis. to apply pesticides on a property in which you work. Like a school or a church or college ect... there is also an old law called the "yard man" clause in which someone with no lis. can apply chemicals to a private property if you do not charge for it and the owner purchases the chemicals as well as the equipment to apply it.

Young Bros
02-08-2010, 02:04 PM
I would sub contract out the round up to a company like ours that does not do mowing. That way they won't take your account.

Ric
02-09-2010, 09:11 AM
I would sub contract out the round up to a company like ours that does not do mowing. That way they won't take your account.

Young Bros

Being Pragmatic there is no way my Chemical Application Company can spot spray Roundup at a competitive price and make a profit. The person or company doing the mowing is best suited to spot spray weeds. They are already on the Property once a week and that type of weed control is generally expected from the professional mowing contractor. If you are going to do professional mowing, then spot Spraying Roundup is part of the job. Get a Roundup license and sell the idea that you offer professional service.

BS1190
02-11-2010, 01:56 PM
in some states you only need a license if you spray pesticides for hire. If you are spraying a non restricted pesticide (like roundup) and you are not doing it for hire, you don't need a license.

So if you talking about just spraying a few weeds in the sidewalk cracks and a few in flower beds, then just make that a "free" service you offer. Don't list it on your invoice. Chances are you are making up the cost in the other services you are providing.

If you are spraying more pesticides than that, then get licensed and then you can expand your business.