PDA

View Full Version : Spots on hosta plants

Lawngopher
08-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I have couple small hosta plants in my personal yard I planted about month ago that looks like bugs have been eating at the leafs is there anything that I can put on them?

Lawngopher
08-09-2008, 09:07 PM
come on.... I know someone has had a customer that has asked them this question

heritage
08-10-2008, 09:50 AM
come on.... I know someone has had a customer that has asked them this question

LG,

Likely Slugs.

You can d 2 things I know.

1. Snail and Slug Pellets.

2. Buy some Dietamaious Earth (sp)/pool filter powder, and make a Circle around each plant with it. (it is tiny glass, and sharp so slugs will not crawl across it....It's the organic approcah I use in my veggie garden for the Basil.

Pete

Lawngopher
08-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks I will stop by my local hardware store and pick some up wont hurt to try it I guess Thanks again for your reply

heritage
08-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks I will stop by my local hardware store and pick some up wont hurt to try it I guess Thanks again for your reply

Sure thing,

Pete

G.M.Landscaping
08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
I had the same thing happen to my 1 year old hosta's at my house. Put slug and snail bait around them and made no difference??? This was going back a month or more ago.

I'm thinking maybe they just needed some Miracid?

Kate Butler
08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I had the same thing happen to my 1 year old hosta's at my house. Put slug and snail bait around them and made no difference??? This was going back a month or more ago.

I'm thinking maybe they just needed some Miracid?

MirAcid on hostas?? No, no, no - MiracleGro if you must, but not MirAcid. Slugs and snails are abundant in the NE this year and an ongoing problem. It's also possible (if they have too much sun) for Hostas to spot or even 'melt" (deliquesce for the botanists among us). Many just can't tolerate hot summer sun.