PDA

View Full Version : 2005 6.0 Powerstroke losing coolant

YellowDogSVC
08-10-2008, 01:42 PM
2005 6.0 Powerstroke losing coolant.

In just three weeks my overflow reservoir is empty again. Three weeks ago I was alerted to overheating. Never had a problem before. Just had the truck serviced about 3k miles before and much to my surprise the overflow bottle was empty. I added coolant and didn't have any problems until I decided to check it yesterday. No coolant in overflow. I refilled, started motor, and looked around. Can't see where it may be coming from but there is some buildup of dried coolant under bottle but not enough to justify a big leak there.

My truck runs okay just has no power on takeoff even empty but I chalk that up to major turbo lag.

Any thoughts on where the coolant could be going? Didn't see any in the oil...

twj721
08-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Time to take it to the shop and get them to check outt he EGR valve and possible repalce headgaskets a common thing on the Ford 6.0 hope that you are under100,000 miles and you are the 1st owner other wise sell it and buy a Dodge it will be cheaper .twj

Gravel Rat
08-10-2008, 02:33 PM
It sounds like your EGR cooler is leaking so check your exhaust pipe for white dust or you will smell a coolant smell. Headgaskets would blow the coolant out and if the engine has coolant in the oil you would notice.

You are essentially steam cleaning the inside of the turbo burning the coolant but its something needs to be replaced.

bobcat_ron
08-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Yup, you've got a crack somewhere.

TXNSLighting
08-10-2008, 03:56 PM
yep prob cracked head. get it to ford if its still under warranty.

BigGreen1
08-10-2008, 04:15 PM
How about the water pump? Wifes Turbo diesel beetle loosing coolant. I never saw puddle on garage floor. We finally took it in and the water pump was leaking and needed replacement. Hope it is something simple.

Tim

YellowDogSVC
08-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I hope it is something simple too. I have seen the white "dust" around the overflow bottle but haven't seen anything anywhere else. Have had EGR problems before. Geez. Just spent 6 weeks down because of no machine now the truck. What luck.
Thanks for the suggestions.

IA_James
08-10-2008, 08:06 PM
How about the water pump? Wifes Turbo diesel beetle loosing coolant. I never saw puddle on garage floor. We finally took it in and the water pump was leaking and needed replacement. Hope it is something simple.

Tim

"Something simple" and "Ford 6.0" don't generally go together. Ford managed to make not one but several hugely expensive casualties built into the 6.0s. Turbos, cracked heads, head gaskets....