PDA

View Full Version : starting new business

tedfrk
08-10-2008, 02:48 PM
my dad and i are starting a lawncare business in new jersey and noticed some of you are licensed,how do i get licensed?and what legallities are some of you meaning llc. sole proprietor,or so on,what is the best choice?any other help would be much appretiated.i tried searching this but nothing came up.

12Valve
08-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Bump wondering the same thing

Alpha Property
08-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't cut any lawn that i couldn't walk to from my front door without being licensed and INSURED! lol deff not worth doing if your not going legit. and remember in Ontario anyway its around $1000 for every 1mill of liability insurance coverage, and if ur going to become licensed and insured i sure hope ur good at keeping track of money and receipts cuz if the government ever comes knocking you had best be prepared. Also if ur gunna become legit, don't forget the commercial or business usage insurance on ur truck, i've gotten pulled over for "not securing my 1000lb lawn mower to the trailer floor" while the ramp's up and parking break's on and it never rolls around, anyway, the police check for proper vehicle insurance.
For my it worked out best to become sole proprietor and hire my dad on as an employee, this way if he ever loses his job at the paper mill i can keep him on as an employee, low paid advisor or assistant, and then lay him off for the winter months

jwalker17
12-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Alpha!
Good to see another "local" - could you message me your policy providers name? Also what coverage you have. I am goin into fulltime solo now (as sole-proprietorship)!

Any insurance help would be great!

Thanks!

Puddle of Oil
12-30-2008, 04:31 PM
go to your secretary of state website or legalzoom.com, search this site again. its on here!

Buddy Buds
01-01-2009, 09:05 AM
All you have to do to become licensed is go to your county inspection department and fill out the application. Since I'm a sole proprietor and solo it cost me $116. I bought my insurance from an independent carrier who handles Liberty Mutual's Montgomery label. For $2000000 aggregate liability and a marine policy to cover my equipment it cost between$800-$900 a year. This does not include my truck insurance.:walking:

DLAWNS
01-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I would call an accountant and discuss it with them. That's what I did. He set me up with an S Corp. It worked out really well and it was well worth the money. I also have my insurance through Brauer, Hansen, and Izdebski. They find me the best rates and are always on the ball.

Where are you located at in Jersey? I might be able to get you some more localized info. Hope this helps a little bit.

jwalker17
01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
we're located up in toronto! thanks for all the advice. Quick question - equipment is insured under marine equipment? Even plow/season items or larger (stand-on) mowers>

DLAWNS
01-01-2009, 05:19 PM
we're located up in toronto! thanks for all the advice. Quick question - equipment is insured under marine equipment? Even plow/season items or larger (stand-on) mowers>

I have no idea why (and either does any insurance agent I've ever met) that they call equipment insurance...inland marine. It's very weird...but important!:)

jwalker17
01-01-2009, 05:39 PM
hahaha thats ******ed - im am going toj start calling people landfishes.

thanks for all the help clearing that up! much appreciated!

DLAWNS
01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
No problem, man.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
01-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I have no idea why (and either does any insurance agent I've ever met) that they call equipment insurance...inland marine. It's very weird...but important!:)

Yeah, I've wondered the same thing, mine says inland marine as well, maybe its just the classification of the engines or engine size? Not sure?

DLAWNS
01-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I've wondered the same thing, mine says inland marine as well, maybe its just the classification of the engines or engine size? Not sure?

I don't know. It's very weird to me.

jwalker17
01-01-2009, 06:09 PM
realistically; there are more in-land small motors than on the waters... it should be a small-motorsinsurance.

are snow plows under the same insurnace (in-land marine)?

thanks

DLAWNS
01-01-2009, 06:13 PM
realistically; there are more in-land small motors than on the waters... it should be a small-motorsinsurance.

are snow plows under the same insurnace (in-land marine)?

thanks

Sorry... I don't plow so I don't know that answer..hopefully someone else does.

Alpha Property
01-01-2009, 09:11 PM
i believe the plow itself can be listed for theft replacment like that but "plow insurance" is a ryder added to your policy which insures you for any incidents caused by your truck and plow as a combination when the plow is hanging on the front of your truck, theres also a slip and fall waver that must be added when plowing

jwalker17
01-01-2009, 09:17 PM
great info, thanks alpha.

i've never owned my own plow truck (always worked for people until this coming 2009 season) or equipment.

Im excited! I hope to god I get enough clientele!

Alpha, what area you serve? Are you going to be plowing/salting tonight? I think im going out around 3-4am :(