PDA

View Full Version : The Point of a Gorilla Lift...

Cashio13
08-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Maybe its just me because i don't have one or have never used one...but what is the deal with a gorilla lift? I'm sorry but it just doesn't sound appealing to me to drop 200 bucks on something to help me lift the trailer ramp. I just feel like it is a waste of money...we are landscapers here i think we should be able to lift the gate? Let me know if they really are worth it...i would love to hear everyone's input. And before everyone jumps down my throat who likes it, because that's what seems to happen on this website, i am simply voicing my opinion to let others voice theirs. I just want to know what people think about it.

fixer67
08-11-2008, 12:46 AM
How much does your gate weigh? The Gorilla Lift is made for heavy gates. If you have a gate that is 6 feet wide and 6 feet tall and weighs in at 300 lbs then you need one. If you have a lite weight gate you can lift easy than you do not need one. Also a woman or weak or old person may need one even on a lite weight gate. It all depends you and your gate. Not everyone needs one.

And now about your comment
"And before everyone jumps down my throat who likes it, because that's what seems to happen on this website,............."

I too have noticed this trend and all the fussing going on on Lawnsite. Some have got feed up up it and left Lawnsite because of it. I do not post anywhere near as much as I did just because of this. I have PM the MODS about this and they are looking into it. I see some memebers getting ban from Lawnsite if it keeps up. As for me I am thinking about leaving my self.

GravelyGuy
08-11-2008, 12:55 AM
I know the gate on my big trailer really starts to suck after lifting and lowering 20 times a day. I don't think I would spend $200 on a lift though.

mower&more1986
08-11-2008, 01:09 AM
I had a 6.5x10 that wasnt very fun for me to lift in high school.
Would of been nice back then. would i drop $200 for it? If i had that kind of money back then lol.
I agree on it depends how much you use your trailer.

bryant lawn & landscape
08-11-2008, 01:50 AM
On our 6 x 10 trailer, there's a dovetail making the gate only 3 x 6 - no gorilla lift.
On the 6.5 x 18 trailer, the gate is 6.5 x 6. We've got the Gorilla lift on it, and I can't imagine not having it. The way I see it, our job is labor intensive enough. If a lift assist makes your life easier - go for it. Beats making trips to the chiropractor.

pclawncare
08-11-2008, 02:18 AM
I dont have a gorilla lift but a similar lift system and i honestly cant imagine not having it. My triler is a 16 x 7 1/2 or 8 foot its the widest one i could by. It has an extension on it so that i can easily load my walkers its 5 1/2 tall. I had the original gate which was 4' and added 1 1/2 ft and 4 additional full legnth supports to the gate basicly with the extension i added an entire 20' stick of 2x2 and some expanded metal i have no clue what the gate weighs on its own but i lifted it for one day and will never do that again and im 21 yr old and in pretty good shape not that i couldnt lift it but i just choose not to. Im my eyes anything that can make my job easier on me which makes me more efficient is worth it plus if i hurt my back or sholders straining to lift the gate then it would potentialy cost me more in down time.

Tharrell
08-11-2008, 07:01 AM
I homebuilt a similar system on my first trailer for a lot less.
My second trailer has leaf springs underneath both side and rear gates, a much better system. Do a search and you'll see all the pics of mine.
Needed? Well, not if you have a good chiropractor in the family.
Besides, tools and trailers are tax deductible business expenses. Tony

Cashio13
08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
alright thanks everyone. i just didn't realize that a gate on that big of a trailer could be that heavy.

pjtrailerguy
08-11-2008, 09:20 PM
alright thanks everyone. i just didn't realize that a gate on that big of a trailer could be that heavy.

I have some springs here in my shop that might interest you. PJ uses them standard on all their 4' gates. You would have to redo your entire gate mounting (via torch and welder) but these springs mount directly into the pins that would hold the gate onto the trailer. I don't know the exact cost but they couldnt be more than 50 bucks for a pair. If you are interested pm me and with your email address and I can send you a couple pics of how they do it and some prices.