PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" Drip Line Quality among manufacturers?

BigTree
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Subject: Pressure Compensating Drip Line quality among manufacturers?

I plan to install a Ĺ inch (nominal) pressure compensating drip line (nominal 0.5 gpm emitters pre-installed every 12 inches) irrigation system in planter areas and am now ready to purchase the supplies. The dilemma is quality among manufacturers. I am willing to pay more if there is an incremental increase in quality (or features) that would be of benefit. For example, it will cost 60% (up to 100%) more for me to buy Rainbird drip line as compared to DIG drip line but I donít know if there are any substantial quality differences between these two manufacturers. Is there any difference in drip line quality among manufacturers and if so, what? Does anyone recommend specific manufacturers of drip line? Or ones to avoid? Many thanks.

Waterit
08-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Use Netafim.

Kiril
08-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Use Netafim.

ditto ........

AI Inc
08-11-2008, 05:31 PM
In case no one mentions it. Use netafim.

Mike Leary
08-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Those guys are all liars and pikers, use Netafim.

Wet_Boots
08-11-2008, 06:03 PM
If you can't find any shrubblers, use Netafim.

Dripit good
08-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Home Depot has high quality sweat pipe. If they happen to be out get Netafim.

DanaMac
08-11-2008, 06:52 PM
I'll go out on a limb here and say..... try the Netafim.

hoskm01
08-11-2008, 06:58 PM
A newer product out that you might try, heard its good, is called Netafim. Mayhaps you give it a try, let us know what you think.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-11-2008, 07:00 PM
BEttafim- B +N=?

Waterit
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM
I feel like the Pied Piker:laugh:

BigTree
08-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks to everone for your quick (and consistent!) response. You opened up a whole new product line for me to consider.

Regards,

Jerry

Waterit
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Another satisfied customer, and he didn't even get flamed. ML, start taking your meds again, people are getting away with murder here!

Mike Leary
08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Another satisfied customer, and he didn't even get flamed. ML, start taking your meds again, people are getting away with murder here!

It balances out; there'll be some lameo soon enough looking to up their
post count. :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

phareous
08-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I am just getting ready to start with drip irrigation. What products do you recommend for the emitters, etc.? I've stubbed out my drip zones (manifolds, mainlines, etc.) but haven't ordered any parts for them yet (drip line, emitters, stakes, etc.). And while netafim might be the best drip line, are DIG and Rain Bird pretty bad?

Mike Leary
08-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Other brands may work just fine, but most us prefer Netafim.

phareous
08-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know some decent online stores to buy Netafim? I searched the netafim site for local suppliers but they all seem to only sell to contractors (at least the few I tried).

Wet_Boots
08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Aside from Netafim, there is the much more arduous drip method of individual emitters installed into thin-wall tubing. More precise, because you select an emitter, install it, add some small-diameter distribution tubing, a support stake, and a bug cap. Repeat at least once for each additional plant. For all that work, you get to actually watch the dripping when a zone is on, and to make adjustments/alterations as needed. Rainbird is a premier player in this version of drip.

koster_irrigation
08-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Rainbird is definitly proud of their dripline, Ive used Agrifim on dozens of jobs with no problems. And Agrifim is def. cheaper probably by 20%

Netafim is a great product and is also priced less than rainbirds dripline.

allinearth
08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Anyone tried hunter drip line? It may be re-badged netafim.

rockee
08-19-2008, 11:02 PM
I wanted to experiment with dripline so I picked up some Toro blueline 1/2" drip at HD. The drawback is that the emitters are spaced 18", and it comes in 100" coils. Toro also makes a "contractor" line of orange stripe drip which is slightly larger diameter and comes has emitters every 12 or 18", which is supposed to be sold at supply houses.

For comparison i used some Netafin also. Fittings and drip are slightly smaller than 1/2". I did find that netafin was prone to kink more than the Toro, but possibly if installed correctly kinks are avoided. The Toro did seem to be more durable, while the Netafin does have CV line of drip, which supposedly is more advanced and has checkvalves which prevent water from backing into the drip.

With both Toro and Netafin emitters are available which can be installed to more precisely be where they are needed. Also, both Netafin and Toro make microdrip line (1/4") which can be attached to thelarger line.

Waterit
08-20-2008, 12:22 AM
I wanted to experiment with dripline so I picked up some Toro blueline 1/2" drip at HD. The drawback is that the emitters are spaced 18", and it comes in 100" coils. Toro also makes a "contractor" line of orange stripe drip which is slightly larger diameter and comes has emitters every 12 or 18", which is supposed to be sold at supply houses.

For comparison i used some Netafin also. Fittings and drip are slightly smaller than 1/2". I did find that netafin was prone to kink more than the Toro, but possibly if installed correctly kinks are avoided. The Toro did seem to be more durable, while the Netafin does have CV line of drip, which supposedly is more advanced and has checkvalves which prevent water from backing into the drip.

With both Toro and Netafin emitters are available which can be installed to more precisely be where they are needed. Also, both Netafin and Toro make microdrip line (1/4") which can be attached to thelarger line.

Did you gauge their efficiency, effectiveness, performance, (you know, the important stuff)?

phareous
08-20-2008, 02:07 PM
I think I am probably going to go with Netafin. I originally was looking at Rain Bird but all of you have converted me

BigTree
08-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know some decent online stores to buy Netafim? I searched the netafim site for local suppliers but they all seem to only sell to contractors (at least the few I tried).

I too have been searching for online sales of Netafim. There seem to be very few; however, here are a couple (only one of which carries a decent selection).

1. www.evergreensprinkler.com They are located in Houston. They have a fairly broad range of Netafim products - but you have to carefully search their site to find all of them. The nice thing about this site is they use the same product numbers as Netafim so that you may be better assured of getting what you want. They only seem to sell 'Techline CV' (not Techline) dripline. The cost is approximately $87 per 250' (12" spacing) vs a list price of approximately $115 per 250'. This is the only site (among dozens) of online irrigation suppliers I have reviewed that seems to carry a decent selection of Netafim. Maybe there are others - but I have not been able to locate them.

2. www.sprinklersuperstore.com They are located in MN. They carry the Techline (not Techline CV). Cost is approximately $100 per 250' (12" spacing) vs $134 list. The selection of Netafim is very limited.

Assuming that you have no shipping charge and no sales tax you will save about 1/3 over list dealer price. For a small job this may be down in the noise level but for a big job it will add up. Rainbird prices (list and online) seem comparable to Netafim. DIG (online) seems to be about 2/3 the cost of Netafim/Rainbird. I have never purchased anything from these online sites nor do I have any references (good or bad) regarding these sites. Netafim (www.netafimusa.com) has a web site with their product data, design aids, and list prices that I have found quite useful. Good luck with your project.

Regards, Jerry.

Mike Leary
08-20-2008, 03:06 PM
The Techline CV (check valve) is what you want.

phareous
08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I too have been searching for online sales of Netafim. There seem to be very few; however, here are a couple (only one of which carries a decent selection).

Regards, Jerry.

I also found:

http://www.wateright.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25

The only one I've seen that has the starter kit is sprinklersuperstore, which has a 250' kit for $199. I'm wondering if it might be cheaper to order the components individually...I haven't priced it out yet. I know the starter kit has a video and some design info.

phareous
08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Oh I just saw what you said about sprinklersuperstore only having techline...I guess that nixes the starter kit from them

BigTree
08-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I also found:

http://www.wateright.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=25

The only one I've seen that has the starter kit is sprinklersuperstore, which has a 250' kit for $199. I'm wondering if it might be cheaper to order the components individually...I haven't priced it out yet. I know the starter kit has a video and some design info.

Hello Phareous,

I checked out the Wateright.com web site for Netafim products and offer the following. The prices are not that great - in fact, some of the their prices are MORE than Netafim list prices. Usually, I don't buy products online unless there is some big driving force to do so (e.g., great prices/savings, great selection, great convenience, not in a big hurry to get the product) and I see (my opinion - yours may differ) no real benefit to buying Netafim products from this supplier. Regards, Jerry.

phareous
08-20-2008, 04:42 PM
I agree...so far it looks like the only viable option to local would be www.evergreensprinkler.com

phareous
08-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Here is another...I don't know anything about them but they seem to carry a lot:

http://www.sprinklermart.com

rockee
08-20-2008, 10:28 PM
Did you gauge their efficiency, effectiveness, performance, (you know, the important stuff)?

They both seem to be similar in effectiveness - i see the water dripping and not clogging. What else should i be looking for? Should I see if the drips are dripping the correct gph and measuring them?