PDA

View Full Version : compost analysis

Keegan
08-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I ran across someone who sells pelletized compost and the salesman gave me an analysis sheet on it. I don't know what it is made from but some things surprised me.

It has arsenic, mercury, nickle, lead, & cadmium in it.

Maybe it's me but that should not be in there. :dizzy:

ICT Bill
08-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Keegan, You may be looking at the heavy metals analysis, it is a must on almost all products that go down on lawns or farms. We have them for our products too, it should have minimums on one part and then you can tell if the product meets the standard

Every state requires that you test any soil amendment or fert, whether there is any in there or not it is still required

It started from the biosolid industry they were selling stuff that you put down on your yard that was toxic, and most of them just build up and stay in the soil, aresnic, cadmium and lead through the roof

You should see the ones for synthetic fertilizers, some of them are YIKES, inert ingredients RIGHT ! CRAP

treegal1
08-11-2008, 08:44 PM
heavy metals, are we talking about mulch to??? that is the real offender in my area. also one time we looked at chain-link fence, that stuff should be outlawed, they use heavy metals to coat the stuff. the metals are going to be in almost every thing, canned tuna, paint, tap water. its the levels that are important to me. compost is just another thing we also have to be careful of and ask, what why where when and how?????

Keegan
08-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the info. I did not know that. They have listed 2 columns "analysis result" & "dry base unit"

Is the dry base a standard? everything is listed either as ppm or a %.
ie arsenic ppm analysis 1.751 dry base 2.575

ICT Bill
08-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Our results are all mg/Kg or milligram per kilogram. we are a liquid, I am not familiar with solids testing

Go here they should have some info on testing with mins and maxs this is the association that controls fert and pest testing, part of that is the heavy metals parameters
http://www.aapfco.org/

Our arsenic level is 0.25 mg/Kg so there is .25 1000th per kilogram (2.2 lbs)

treegal1
08-11-2008, 10:13 PM
as I have been violated by movers recently, my soil tests and limits paper work is missing, so when I find it some where I will try and post it, or maybe some one has the rodale standards to post???

ICT Bill
08-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Our arsenic level is 0.25 mg/Kg so there is .25 1000th per kilogram (2.2 lbs)

It is probably all from the humic and fulvic acid