PDA

View Full Version : Liriope or Mondo for shade?

OKSooner
08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Client has a shady area between two houses and he wants to plant liriope in it. I think mondo would be a better choice for the shade. What do you guys think? (Not dwarf mondo, tall mondo. This is a spot where no one goes; we just want ground cover for color and to stop an erosion problem.)

Plant Buyer 83
08-11-2008, 09:15 PM
No problems at all using liriope in shade at all. All liriope (var, big blue, etc) can take full sun to nearly full shade.

As far as mondo yes it doesn't like full sun - filtered to full shade as you know.

I see no problem giving the client what they want. But if erosion is a major issue then try both or something else vinca, hostas, ferns, heuchera if they will work in the design.

barefootlawnsandlandscape
08-11-2008, 10:47 PM
I agree with plant buyer. Liriope will not solve your erosion problem. Vinca would be the best choice with liriope planted on the edge of the bed. Have used the vinca and variegated liriope combination many times with great results. Provides a great contrast in colors.

JimLewis
08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Yah, Loriope seems to do very well in shade. I have had some in my back yard for a few years now in full shade.

As for erosion, I agree that it's probably not the BEST thing and it wouldn't prevent erosion as well as a groundcover would. BUT, that being said, any plant or shrub prevents erosion compared to a hillside with nothing on it. And long term, Loriope spreads like crazy. It almost becomes like a groundcover in itself. I had some in my front yard I finally had to remove because it was just becoming a thick mat of little loriopes everywhere. They seem to easily replicate and fill in pretty well. So once they started to do that (which only takes a year or two) they'd do a great job at helping control erosion.