PDA

View Full Version : Mustang skidsteer?

wellbuilt
08-11-2008, 09:18 PM
I need a skid steer for back fill and moving dirt around the job . I had a bobcat753 but wanted a new s175 with heat & cab . lately i have seen some really nice used skids for sale .I was looking at a used mustang 2041 (4600lb)with 115 hours? 13100 asking price .It looked new . I sold my 753 for 10000 and it had 3700 hrs. There was a mustang 2054 with cab & heat (6000lb) with 526 hours. for14500 asking . I dont really need Any gadets they have a yanmar motor . Is the mustang Any good? Ive only used bobcats in the past . thanks

bobcat_ron
08-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Normally, I'd say go for anything but the Bobcat, but being that Mustang's have very poor resale value and I've had nothing but the worst luck with them in my youth, maybe the Bobcat will give you less emotional and financial pain.

Have you tried Cat?

Junior M
08-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Normally, I'd say go for anything but the Bobcat, but being that Mustang's have very poor resale value and I've had nothing but the worst luck with them in my youth, maybe the Bobcat will give you less emotional and financial pain.

Have you tried Cat?
and this is when ron tries to talk you in to a crapapillar!! haha but like he said anything would probably be better than a mustang..

mow king
08-12-2008, 10:32 AM
and this is when ron tries to talk you in to a crapapillar!! haha but like he said anything would probably be better than a mustang..

I beg to differ. Not to be a dick but if you haven't had personal experience with it, I wouldn't comment on it.

If you want a heavy duty reliable bare bones unit, the mustang is perfect.

Just don't plan on much for resale.

I have a old one I keep around with 7000 hours. Up to 6900 hours it was problem free, I've had a few major things go since then.

Junior M
08-12-2008, 10:37 AM
I beg to differ. Not to be a dick but if you haven't had personal experience with it, I wouldn't comment on it.

If you want a heavy duty reliable bare bones unit, the mustang is perfect.

Just don't plan on much for resale.

I have a old one I keep around with 7000 hours. Up to 6900 hours it was problem free, I've had a few major things go since then.
i was joking around.... and i didnt comment on anything but what ron said... i have never ran one so i didnt say anything.. i have looked at them and they do look like very heavy built units and they would seem to be a good machine..

wellbuilt
08-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi thanks for the reply. I do like the cat , what is there not to like, but i only have bobcat , mustang, money . I wanted to buy new but since no one wants to pay to do Any work around here this summer I dont want to drop 30gs and i hate having the equipment sitting in the yard . I use my min EX about 200hr last year and i think half that time would be put on a skid if i had one . both mustang owners have gone out of business .They are both willing to drop there price buy 2500 dollars and the 2054 comes with a trailer now . I do have a good dealer that i have been working with . Do you think i could trade the mustang back to the dealer for a fair price on a new unit in 500 hrs or so ? I could rent for the rest of the year and buy new in the spring.

Junior M
08-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Hi thanks for the reply. I do like the cat , what is there not to like, but i only have bobcat , mustang, money . I wanted to buy new but since no one wants to pay to do Any work around here this summer I dont want to drop 30gs and i hate having the equipment sitting in the yard . I use my min EX about 200hr last year and i think half that time would be put on a skid if i had one . both mustang owners have gone out of business .They are both willing to drop there price buy 2500 dollars and the 2054 comes with a trailer now . I do have a good dealer that i have been working with . Do you think i could trade the mustang back to the dealer for a fair price on a new unit in 500 hrs or so ? I could rent for the rest of the year and buy new in the spring.
there is nothing wrong with a cat.. i just like messing with cat lovers like ron... sorry for the confusion.. like others have said if you buy a mustang you wont sell it for a high price... but if you take care of it and grease everyday and keep it in good condition appearence and mechanically they might give you more than a normal trade in price on it..

Superior L & L
08-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I used a Mustang 2070 for four or five years. That thing was a tank. The only thing i can remember was the arms to lock bucket needed work once a year. Since you would be stealing the unit from someone i dont think you need to worry about resale value

Mowingman
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Mustang has been around for many years. Way back, I believe they actually made skidsteers for J.D. Or, they had some sales agreement where J.D. dealers sold Mustangs.
Mustang has been owned by Gehl for quite some time. Other than rather low resale prices, I do not think you would find any problems with the Mustang machines.

wellbuilt
08-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Well i have my truck fueled up and the trailer is locked on .I have a wad of cash and im going shopping tomorrow .I have seen two out of three skids and i think im coming home with one . I think it will be the stang2054 500 +hrs I have some work to do in the next few weeks and i think i will have my money back. The guy told me he would take 250 off if i picked it up it 100 mils away . sorry ron no cat for me . I hope you wont be saying I told you so Thanks

wellbuilt
08-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Well i came home with a mustang 2050 with 800 hrs with dirt bucket and forks . I wanted the cab & heat but this unit had more hours & went for less money 12000 i needed the forks . The mustang seems real easy to work on ,and its a big step up from my 753 with lots more power and a much better ride . Do you think i could dig with the bucket ? I never had teeth .My 753 couldent really dig. This mustang feels much more stable on a hill & loading the trucks. It pulls to the lift a bit but i think it needs air in the tires I will keep you posted . thanks No cat for me ron

bobcat_ron
08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Just don't post pics of the 'stang, I don't need any more bad memories keeping me awake and ruining my late-night fantasies.

larryinalabama
08-14-2008, 10:52 AM
12K for a 800 hour machine sure beats 35k for a new Bobcat

tallrick
08-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I have an early Mustang 1700 that was given to me over 20 years ago and it's tougher then my Bobcat M610. Now I have a friend who has a Mustang 2042 at work and that thing has been extremely reliable. If the Mustangs are not worth much in resale I might pick one up to fix up for my friend. He has always wanted one for farm use. I have been a Bobcat man by accident, already I have the M610, an 843 and picked up an 863 project for a new challenge!

Digdeep
08-14-2008, 07:16 PM
You can't really say anything negative about a Mustang or Gehl skid steer other than they don't have the best resale for some reason. They are very very dependable and tough as nails. As far as specifications go they stack up very well with everyone out there. I never did like the T-bar though.

Junior M
08-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Just don't post pics of the 'stang, I don't need any more bad memories keeping me awake and ruining my late-night fantasies.
ahhhhhhhhhh forget ron and his "late-night fantasies" lets see some pics!! hahaha i would like to see some pics if you dont mind....

wellbuilt
08-14-2008, 11:43 PM
I dont have much time for pictures but ill see what i can do .I dropped the skid at a job last night but cant get it in the yard much two steep .I have to pull it in with my Ex on Saturday . I need a driver , my son is helping me now and he is only 13 years old . I would love to smooth this job out its been sitting since January .I was froze out, and in may my HO had NO money . Hes got the money now and Ive got the time . I hope im done on Saturday I hope we keep the skide with the rubber down , The yard is very steep

Junior M
08-14-2008, 11:44 PM
whats the problem no traction? tipping over?

wellbuilt
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Well if we try to back up the slope i sink in a drainage ditch and my back motor cover hits the slope . If i go up front first I can start up the slope but the wheels start to come off the Ground and its all uneven at the top and i would like to stay shine side up .I'm would be better off with some tracks . If i had more seat time with this skid it would be better . The ditch is on the neighbors property so i don't want to make a dirt ramp or fill in the ditch . I'm thinking about dropping a pipe in the ditch with stone to raise it and digging the crown off the top of the slope. I slide the EX out of there in 6 " of snow in January it was hairy . I think a chain on the front would hold me down so i could creep up the slope . I have some help on saterday .