PDA

View Full Version : Getting Paid in Cash

JimLewis
08-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Wow. Landed a pretty big job today. I won't say how much in public but it was a big job. As we signed the contract and it was time to collect our typically 50% deposit, the customer handed me a large envelope filled with cash. Like hundred dollar bills sorted into stacks of 10.

Gotta love those kind of customers!!!!

:walking:

PSUturf
08-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Was his last name Soprano?

White Gardens
08-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Let me guess. He was a business owner skimming cash from the till and using it to pay suppliers. Ultimatly I'll venture to say that he isn't claiming it on his taxes either.

TforTexas
08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Say hello to my little frien'!!

Lawnworks
08-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Didn't have to worry about that clearing!

richallseasons
08-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Im sorry, what customer? I never worked for them............

ProLandscapes
08-13-2008, 03:35 AM
At least the illegals wont be getting any of it through welfare. Unless you hire them of course.

Mike33
08-14-2008, 10:21 PM
yes but sometimes that can be a pita, like going 6 different places to pay bills. Then do you keep the rest in your dresser drawer?
mike

dfdsuperduty
08-15-2008, 12:27 AM
i love how the pictures of dead presidents fit so nicely into my hands

Clapper&Company
08-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I get the same thing, Had a client had me $4500 in cash for there 50% down not to long ago

EagleLandscape
08-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Not impressed Jim. I try and keep my integrity. I could do the same and never get caught, but that's not how I want to run my business. I get paid in cash all the time, the customers think they are doing me a favor. Still record it.

JimmyStew
08-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Where in his post did Jim say he was not going to claim this money as income??? Seems everyone is making an assumption that all cash sales are under the table sales. I get paid in cash many times during the year, some get receipts, some don't want one. Either way, I record the sale in the books.

irrig8r
08-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Wow. Landed a pretty big job today. I won't say how much in public but it was a big job. As we signed the contract and it was time to collect our typically 50% deposit, the customer handed me a large envelope filled with cash. Like hundred dollar bills sorted into stacks of 10.

You know, cash transactions over a certain dollar amount at banks are recorded and then reported to DHS if they suspect it could fit some kind of money laundering profile... all in the name of preventing terrorism.

That said, I know of someone who rents a house to a guy who owns a strip club, and gets paid the rent in cash every month.

EagleLandscape
08-15-2008, 06:43 PM
10k is the alarm limit at monetary transfers. I just assumed that CASH customer was associated with not claiming it. That's the only reason why it would be more "prized" than a check made out to your company.

sildoc
08-15-2008, 06:57 PM
10k is the alarm limit at monetary transfers. I just assumed that CASH customer was associated with not claiming it. That's the only reason why it would be more "prized" than a check made out to your company.

I don't know about you but cash clears every time.

JimLewis
08-15-2008, 06:58 PM
You know, cash transactions over a certain dollar amount at banks are recorded and then reported to DHS if they suspect it could fit some kind of money laundering profile... all in the name of preventing terrorism.

Exactly! That's why it's better that the bank just doesn't ever see the cash. Don't want to create problems or make myself look suspicious! :laugh:

PROCUT1
08-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Ahh the lawnsite morality police.

I love these posts. Thousands of members who are all 100% to the T, perfect, law abiding honest businessmen who make sure they claim every $5 tip they have ever received from a customer.

80% of the lawn guys in my area dont even have a registered business and only accept cash. I talk with other business all around the country and they say the same thing. MOST of the industry are under the table operations.

Its just a good thing none of those 80% have joined lawnsite...ha

PROCUT1
08-15-2008, 08:46 PM
P.S...

Jim, my last post is not questioning what you did with your money....

Lawnworks
08-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Not impressed Jim. I try and keep my integrity. I could do the same and never get caught, but that's not how I want to run my business. I get paid in cash all the time, the customers think they are doing me a favor. Still record it.

I don't really have a good feeling about the IRS... they will bend you over and screw you any chance they can... I feel like it is just returning the favor.

Fred B
08-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Cash is awesome. As soon as you gave him an invoice that is his receipt. And I bet you also had to sign the invoice claiming 50% deposit paid. Totaly above board, legit, legal, whatever you want to call it. AN ivoice on your part is on the books. Ditto for your customer. Also cash is simple.

02DURAMAX
08-15-2008, 10:36 PM

That said, I know of someone who rents a house to a guy who owns a strip club, and gets paid the rent in cash every month.

Thats why you have a nice big safe in your house so you dont deposit 10k at one time!!!...Cash Is awesome!!!!!

Lawnworks
08-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Thats why you have a nice big safe in your house so you dont deposit 10k at one time!!!...Cash Is awesome!!!!!

Well... gotta spend some if it on the shotgun and glock for the security system.

Mike33
08-15-2008, 11:49 PM

I love these posts. Thousands of members who are all 100% to the T, perfect, law abiding honest businessmen who make sure they claim every $5 tip they have ever received from a customer.

80% of the lawn guys in my area dont even have a registered business and only accept cash. I talk with other business all around the country and they say the same thing. MOST of the industry are under the table operations.

Thats very funny and very true. I would say 1/2 or better here arent even running a leg. business, has illegal mexicans, collects cash all the time, and now making an issue.
mike

nemow
08-16-2008, 12:34 AM

:clapping: HAHAHAHAHAHA :usflag:

lifetree
08-16-2008, 08:07 AM
Was his last name Soprano ?

Yeah, I think I heard a little bird whisper that name ... LOL !! :laugh:

allinearth
08-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Cash is awesome. As soon as you gave him an invoice that is his receipt. And I bet you also had to sign the invoice claiming 50% deposit paid. Totaly above board, legit, legal, whatever you want to call it. AN ivoice on your part is on the books. Ditto for your customer. Also cash is simple.

Cash is much simpler, but harder to carry.:)

Need_Advice
08-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Until you get to the bank to find out it was all counterfeit.
I did a $100 aeration on a huge yard.
Got paid in $20s that were all fake.
Customer was nowhere to be found after

PROCUT1
08-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Wow.

Is there a ring of these con artists?

Ive heard about those aeration scams.

They come into town, send you to a fake property that they dont own, have you do a core aeration, pay with fake money and then they are off to the next town before you can make it back from the bank.

:laugh::laugh:

JimLewis
08-16-2008, 04:04 PM

Not impressed with what??? How does accepting cash make me lose my integrity? You just said, "I get paid in cash all the time..." so does that make you lose your integrity? I don't get you. You're making some big assumptions here, buddy. You have no clue how I handled it after I got the cash. Truth is, I needed the money more in the bank than I needed it in my hand. But regardless, I resent the judgment when you have no idea what I did.

I love how people are so quick to judge others when they just know only a part of the story. A wise man once said, "Why do you see the speck in your neighbor's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye?"

JimLewis
08-16-2008, 04:08 PM

Well, since it was a DEPOSIT for a job we won't be starting for a few weeks, I think I will have had ample time to figure out whether these customers are counterfeit artists or not. The bank seemed to like the hundreds just fine. And how well would that work for them anyway? I show up to the job in 2 weeks and say, "Oh, those hundreds were fake so I won't be installing your back yard, and by the way, here's my friend from the Secret Service. He wants to have a word with you...."

I don't doubt it happened to you. But on a big job like this at a nice home that honestly needs a landscape job, I don't think so. Passing off fake hundreds will get you 10-20. I don't think my clients are that stupid.

FordLawnLandscape
08-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Jesus Mary and Joseph ! Where in the name of sweet jesus has this thread gone ?! :confused: And how has it gotten taken outta context and misinterperuted (bad spelling) so frikin bad :dizzy: ! I'm fairly sure Jim runs a legit buisness people get off his back :cry: ! There is absolutly NOTHING wrong with taking cash payments, deposits or whatever else. Would you not get some type of bad feeling about possible counterfit money by just a few minutes of talking to the guy ? And the integrity comment by "wingfield" ?? DUDE chill , besides you were the "pot calling the kettle black" with your statement. "I accept cash all the time" .

ericmcj31
08-16-2008, 07:57 PM
WHAt are you smokin' ford?

FordLawnLandscape
08-16-2008, 08:34 PM
That was a MANLY comment :laugh:

ericmcj31
08-16-2008, 08:37 PM
That was a MANLY comment :laugh:

watch it now!! :laugh::gunsfirin

FordLawnLandscape
08-16-2008, 08:38 PM
couldnt resist :nono:

ericmcj31
08-16-2008, 08:49 PM
you call tom about that walk behind?? Sorry for the thread high jack-Jim

02DURAMAX
08-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Wat Happened To My Other Post?

Fvstringpicker
08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Probably not the case here but a money laundering scheme is sometime set up with real estate. The property is bought for, on paper, less than its worth with the seller getting part of the sales price under the table and the closing set up for a lesser amount. When the property is fixed up, contractors are paid in cash for the purpose of keeping the basis down. the property is sold to another insider for more than its worth so the gain on sale is a great as possible to clean up money. Multiple 50K gain x 100 properties and you can clean up a lot of money. The same technique is set up for vehicles and equipment. Ever wonder why "speculators" drive up prices in certain areas to astronomical proportions and ultimately leave the finance institution holding the bag?

EagleLandscape
08-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Jim, we both know that each of us run professional companies. You have my respect for your operation, and I hope I have yours. We have both seen pictures of each others work, and have been on for long enough to atleast know that.

Typically when we people talk about CASH transactions, they don't claim them as income (which we both know is illegal). I know we both accept CASH, but I just hope that you report every penny as I do. I am not going to say that you don't, I just expect that you do.

Fair enough?

Mike33
08-18-2008, 09:00 PM
1 point to make i have had this and im sure others have too. H/o wants to pay cash but expects big discount, many times im tight on job profit wise and say i cant give a discount for cash due to i would be working for far less. My largest cash deal was 16k for a wall job. Sure he than expected discount and i had no choice but to knock some off. Bad things from this was : employeee's thought i was rich with a 3" bulge of money in pocket, had to go to my suppliers in person to pay for block, didnt care to stop at sheetz's for a drink and pull out this sum of money, couldn't leave it in truck, wife wanted extra grocery money, and a temptation for my self to buy something i didnt need.
Mike

Lawnworks
08-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Yeah I agree. I really don't care anymore about getting cash payment. There will never be a discount for paying cash. I end up depositing the large sums anyway.

Mike33
08-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Its nice under 1k you can make payroll buy fuel, etc. As far as i mentioned on payroll i do tax my emplyee's but give them cash instead of making them drive to bank.
mike