PDA

View Full Version : how wouldve you handled this situation?

Junior M
08-12-2008, 03:10 PM
ok as most of you know i was working for a landscaper well i officially quit today and i dont know if i handled it the right way... but i have been aggravated working for this guy since i started in june there are alot of reasons so i will tell them like this
1. it gets really hot here during the summer and he wouldnt get us to the job until 10 or 11 somedays mostly becuz he didnt want to get up and then he takes forever to get ready and when he finally gets to my house to get me we go back to the shop and he goes in the office while i load the truck and we sit there waiting on him..
2. he wants to be the big boss that drives around all day and nit picks stuff no matter if we do it the way he wants it done or we do it a better and more efficient way he finds something wrong with it and the bad thing about him trying to do this is he only has two employees me and one other guy.
3. we dont work smart we work hard.. half the stuff we do is becuz he doesnt want to do with a piece of equipment becuz he is in to big of a rush or just wants to get back on the phone with his girl friend.. like for example one day we were putting in drainage and setting grates and he got on the mini excavator and started backfilling and it was at quitting time so he just pushed a little bit of dirt over the pipe and then backed up and went to load up i said hey you didnt fully backfill it.. well his reply was thats why you have a shovel in your hand... his freakn shovel works a hole lot easier than mine!!
4. he will deliberately do stuff just to make our lives hard or wont do something just becuz we are already headed that way.. like one day we were washing a house and he found something that wasnt washed right on the front porch. and we were done on the hole house so i started loading the truck and i stopped to help them take the stuff off the front porch and there were only two little things left and he went up and grabbed one and walked off becuz he saw me standing there even though i was getting something to drink and trying to get the stuff we washed with off my face..

so how wouldve handled this? remember i have dealt with this crap all summer and i finally quit this morning... (sorry if it turned into a rant)

CAT powered
08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Sounds like a crappy boss to me.

One thing I will say is this though.

You are (well. were) the employee. You are paid to do what you're told. Not to try to tell your employer a better way to do things.

And if your employer wanted to load the trailer he wouldn't have hired you to do it.

I always liked to look at it this way when I worked for other people.
If they don't want to do things efficiently I get paid regardless of whether they finish so let him do it the way he wants. At the end of the day your check has the same amount on it regardless.

YellowDogSVC
08-12-2008, 05:59 PM
A lot of the trailer loading and doing things the hard way falls under "..and other duties".
I wouldn't take it personal. Some people don't make good bosses (I'm one of those because I do things my way and usually don't ask for input because it's my butt on the line).
I would just shrug it off but the professional thing to do is give some notice next time. You may have left the guy in a bind and that just isn't a good thing to do. I realize you are young and it wasn't your dream career job but I have done what you did and as I have grown and learned about business, I realized I screwed some folks that probably were having a bad day or just didn't know how to talk to people but weren't attacking me personally..
Just move on. If the guy really isn't that bad to work for after you have had a chance to cool off, then go talk to him. Maybe you can get a raise and a new job description with a little communication. Maybe..

punt66
08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Move on. There is better out there. You are my kind of worker. Effeciency is key. I am solo most of the time but i do hire college kids to help with installs. I am fully loaded, truck warmed up, drank coffee, and fueled before 7:30 when the workers arive. Yea he is an employee but you have to have pride in your job. Move on you can do better. Too bad you are so far, i will be hiring a fulltime guy soon.

Junior M
08-12-2008, 07:10 PM
A lot of the trailer loading and doing things the hard way falls under "..and other duties".
I wouldn't take it personal. Some people don't make good bosses (I'm one of those because I do things my way and usually don't ask for input because it's my butt on the line).
I would just shrug it off but the professional thing to do is give some notice next time. You may have left the guy in a bind and that just isn't a good thing to do. I realize you are young and it wasn't your dream career job but I have done what you did and as I have grown and learned about business, I realized I screwed some folks that probably were having a bad day or just didn't know how to talk to people but weren't attacking me personally..
Just move on. If the guy really isn't that bad to work for after you have had a chance to cool off, then go talk to him. Maybe you can get a raise and a new job description with a little communication. Maybe..
yea but he has left me hanging many times like last friday i finally got ahold of him at 8:45 and he said he would be there at 9:30 well i finally got ahold of him at 12:30 and he said well i got alot of running around to do so just take the day off.. its like wtf!! i have two electric services that need done and i have been standing around half the day waiting on you and one electric service needed done two days before that and it is a 100 mile round trip that is the crap i dealt with... and that isnt the first time he has done that to me.. and we would never start or quit on the same time everyday it was always when he felt like it..

and i got one question.. where is everybody getting the trailer loading from? when i said he went off to load the trailer i meant he pushed a foot of dirt in to a three foot deep hole that already held a length of six inch corrugated pipe in it.. that is alot of dirt for me to move with a shovel and he wanted it done in a few minutes.. let me clarify something.. i didnt mind having to do it it was what he said and what he thought about having me there.. like i wasnt usefull for anything else other than standing on a shovel.. the said thing is i could dig and see grade better than him and i have only been doing it for three years and he has been doing grading and landscaping for eighteen years..

and his quality of work just sucked!! i mean he didnt care about anything just as long as it got done and as fast as he thought it could be done.. and god forbid if me and the other guy stood around to catch our breath while we were cutting grass at his clients house. he wants him to make himself look good even though he showes up in dirty wrinkly clothes and a trashy little toyota truck and a rusty little trailer with bald tires.. but god forbid we sit at the truck and catch our breath while he finishes weedeating or talks to the home owners..

really sorry for the rant i just wasted my summer when i couldve been learning to form, pour, and finish concrete...

bobcat_ron
08-12-2008, 08:27 PM
You did the right thing, I hate starting work so late, give me 7am or even 5 am, then I can take a siesta in the afternoon when it gets too hot.
But you still have to be an a**hole sometimes and start suggesting new idea sometime, I found that out pretty early on in my job.

Gravel Rat
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
In the summer time when I was working for a contractor or working on my own I liked starting at 6:30 or 7am I can't take any time in the sun I get heat exhaustion easy.

My last employer I left a note on the shop desk it I have to terminate employment starting today. I couldn't take :wall anymore it was one step forward and 3 steps backwards.

YellowDogSVC
08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
You did the right thing, I hate starting work so late, give me 7am or even 5 am, then I can take a siesta in the afternoon when it gets too hot.
But you still have to be an a**hole sometimes and start suggesting new idea sometime, I found that out pretty early on in my job.

I think you need to come work in Texas

YellowDogSVC
08-12-2008, 09:21 PM
really sorry for the rant i just wasted my summer when i couldve been learning to form, pour, and finish concrete...

Well if it's that bad then you definitely don't have the time to wait on him. Life is short. I have wasted so much time because of other people and the weather that I mostly look for the jobs I can do alone on my own time. I like to start at 8:00 or 8:30 and be done by 5 so I can be home with the kids and wife. It doesn't always work out that way but it helps to be fueled up and and loaded up with the right tools the night before.

If you like that work, start your own company and compete. Do a better job for a fair price and you will be more successful with a good work ethic. Even with less equipment to start, perserverance and hard work will help you come out ahead.

Junior M
08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
oh. believe me i did. on the dirt work jobs i was second on the totem pole and i am only 14 and the other guy is 46.. and the boss would put me on the backhoe and the other guy on the shovel.. he has never done dirt work in his hole life.. but we had this 7/10's of an acre to grade and he tried to use the backhoe and the tractor with a boxblade.. now i agree with the tractor to get it perfect but the backhoe no the lot had to many trees and it wasnt flat enough so it was hard to get leveled out but whatever it still isnt done because we have been doing all the dirt work since they finished the inside of the house.. that includes drainage, irrigation, and we are doing everybit of the landscaping also....

Junior M
08-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Well if it's that bad then you definitely don't have the time to wait on him. Life is short. I have wasted so much time because of other people and the weather that I mostly look for the jobs I can do alone on my own time. I like to start at 8:00 or 8:30 and be done by 5 so I can be home with the kids and wife. It doesn't always work out that way but it helps to be fueled up and and loaded up with the right tools the night before.

If you like that work, start your own company and compete. Do a better job for a fair price and you will be more successful with a good work ethic. Even with less equipment to start, perserverance and hard work will help you come out ahead.
yellowdog you would understand what it is like to try and start in the heat at 10 or 11 and i am trying to get a business started and so far me and my dad have got some weekend work but i was working with him becuz he asked me to and i need some major cash for a truck of my own since i start driving in less than a year...

NateV
08-12-2008, 09:29 PM
I think I would of told him you'll finish the week out and then your done because school is coming up.

Canon Landscaping
08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
thats why immigrants make up most of the labor in this industry they don't care what time you start work or stop they are always eager to work and they don't argue with you about a "better" way to do the job if the guy wants to pay you do fill a trench with a shovel instead of using a machine thats his decision and either you do it or look for a new job that doesn't require you to use a shovel.

Junior M
08-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I think I would of told him you'll finish the week out and then your done because school is coming up.
well i didnt plan on working this week anyway being my last week and then he lied to me and told me that the other guy wouldnt be back and then when we got to the shop he was there... so its like wtf!!!

Junior M
08-12-2008, 09:43 PM
thats why immigrants make up most of the labor in this industry they don't care what time you start work or stop they are always eager to work and they don't argue with you about a "better" way to do the job if the guy wants to pay you do fill a trench with a shovel instead of using a machine thats his decision and either you do it or look for a new job that doesn't require you to use a shovel.
i dont mind using a shovel i use a shovel when i work for myself me and my dad have graded 24 yards of concrete with a mattox and a shovel when we had a machine but it couldnt be done with a machine.. and the whole purpose of that statement was to say that we worked hard not smart and i could careless when quitting time is... and i was asking what you would do if you were in this situation i didnt post it to be called lazy and a bad worker...

sunray237
08-12-2008, 09:45 PM
the problem with our country today is you are suppose to overlook jerks, they are just having a bad day.
to bad it's going to get worse because if what you say is true , he is and always will be a jerk.
move on the days of job loyalty are over,that died 40 years ago,if you hurt yourself he is not going to pay your bills, you will be history.
when a man hires you do the best job you can , but don't fall for this compasionate loyalty.
respect works both ways,as an employee be on time ,ready to work and don't call in first thing in the morning with lame excuses why you can't work that day.

Junior M
08-12-2008, 09:56 PM
the problem with our country today is you are suppose to overlook jerks, they are just having a bad day.
to bad it's going to get worse because if what you say is true , he is and always will be a jerk.
move on the days of job loyalty are over,that died 40 years ago,if you hurt yourself he is not going to pay your bills, you will be history.
when a man hires you do the best job you can , but don't fall for this compasionate loyalty.
respect works both ways,as an employee be on time ,ready to work and don't call in first thing in the morning with lame excuses why you can't work that day.
and i did work hard i worked as hard as i could with what i had and when he put me over something it got done on time and usually before he said it needed to be and it was hard for me to be on time considering he picked me up from my house.. and after six pm he wouldnt answer a phone so i couldnt get ahold of him if something came up..

ccstrebe
08-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Move on, the guy's an idiot and has not a clue how to run a business. Look at the job as a lesson learned on how 'not' to run a company and how 'not' to treat your employees.

wanabe
08-12-2008, 11:52 PM
You did the right thing. I worked for a lanscaper and put up with the same crap. I had to pull teeth to get the boss to start at 6am. Then he acted like I was a total bum for wanting to go home at 2:30pm, all this in 100 degree heat. All the while he crused through town in his new truck with the ac on! We also did a lot by hand, as he charged by the hour. 5 guys throwing dirt by hand at $35 each-$175 hr. Skidsteer was $70. So he made more money off of killing me. And this was just a help out a friend deal, as I have another job FT. Who needs friends like that? The final straw was waiting 6 months for money he owed me, and paid me about 25 percent of that.

Junior M
08-13-2008, 12:11 AM
You did the right thing. I worked for a lanscaper and put up with the same crap. I had to pull teeth to get the boss to start at 6am. Then he acted like I was a total bum for wanting to go home at 2:30pm, all this in 100 degree heat. All the while he crused through town in his new truck with the ac on! We also did a lot by hand, as he charged by the hour. 5 guys throwing dirt by hand at $35 each-$175 hr. Skidsteer was $70. So he made more money off of killing me. And this was just a help out a friend deal, as I have another job FT. Who needs friends like that? The final straw was waiting 6 months for money he owed me, and paid me about 25 percent of that.
thats why we are still on this easy job becuz he is getting paid by the hour he will take us to the job get us goin and then leave and say he is goin to talk to the homeowner and he will come back with a cracker barrel cup and a cooler that was at the shop when we left and he will tell us he went and here and talkd to the homeowner and when the owner shows up later we ask him if he has seen him and he says no i havent heard from him all day.. and he would do it a couple times a week and say oo well it was there yall didnt notice it?

sorry if this is turning into a rant....

mag360
08-13-2008, 01:39 AM
thats why we are still on this easy job becuz he is getting paid by the hour he will take us to the job get us goin and then leave and say he is goin to talk to the homeowner and he will come back with a cracker barrel cup and a cooler that was at the shop when we left and he will tell us he went and here and talkd to the homeowner and when the owner shows up later we ask him if he has seen him and he says no i havent heard from him all day.. and he would do it a couple times a week and say oo well it was there yall didnt notice it?

sorry if this is turning into a rant....

I think you are right in thinking this guy was a poor employer. Sounds like he was a little disrespectful to his workers (you). As far as the above statement remember (if you work for someone else in the future) that what he does while you're on the clock doesn't effect you and is essentially none of your business unless it effects your paycheck.

Wanabe---I get thrown off sometimes if my guys start either later or earlier than usual (unless I'm with them). You get in such a rhythm that you forget the start time was different.

I make it a point to never show frustration or raise my voice at an employee (regardless of what I may be thinking) and bring up mistakes in a conversation where we can exchange thoughts on how to keep them from happening again. This is the way I was treated by employers I liked working for. Some of the guys who have worked for themselves for years forget what it's like not to have the freedom to approach a job whatever way you choose.

If you don't take days off you will be appreciated. A lot of kids will set up a 5 day a week job for the summer and take a week off for vacation, a day every week or two for whatever reason, want to start late on monday and leave early on friday, etc. That can be very frustrating for your boss.

Scag48
08-13-2008, 03:29 AM
I'll agree with others, the guy is a moron. Just keep in mind though, there are going to be days that you're going to have a crappy boss and even worse tasks to handle. I know, life is too short to be unhappy with things, but sometimes you just gotta stick it out. I woudln't worry about it too much, you're young, I probably would've done the same damn thing. No reason for you to be pissed off about your job at a young age. It's tougher when you're older, though, when you have a wad of bills to pay at the end of the month. Makes it a lot harder to tell the boss to screw himself and just take off, I can't even begin to start counting how many times I wanted to just peace out of the restaurant I worked at for almost 3 years. Hated the job, hated going to work, only liked 1 out of 4 managers, sucked.

Right now I can't walk off a job even if I wanted to, they'll throw me out of the apprenticeship program. Goodbye future for me if I don't like my boss or the job I'm doing, I gotta stick this out for 4 years and hope that every boss and job I get sent out to will be a good one. Chances are slim on that one.

Junior M
08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
I think you are right in thinking this guy was a poor employer. Sounds like he was a little disrespectful to his workers (you). As far as the above statement remember (if you work for someone else in the future) that what he does while you're on the clock doesn't effect you and is essentially none of your business unless it effects your paycheck.

Wanabe---I get thrown off sometimes if my guys start either later or earlier than usual (unless I'm with them). You get in such a rhythm that you forget the start time was different.

I make it a point to never show frustration or raise my voice at an employee (regardless of what I may be thinking) and bring up mistakes in a conversation where we can exchange thoughts on how to keep them from happening again. This is the way I was treated by employers I liked working for. Some of the guys who have worked for themselves for years forget what it's like not to have the freedom to approach a job whatever way you choose.

If you don't take days off you will be appreciated. A lot of kids will set up a 5 day a week job for the summer and take a week off for vacation, a day every week or two for whatever reason, want to start late on monday and leave early on friday, etc. That can be very frustrating for your boss.
i didnt care what he did it was the lieing to us about where he went and making us skip breakfast and then goin himself... i didnt care what he did sure it got aggravating when he would get us goin on a job and leave then show up and critique it then leave again.. and his comment about thats why i am on a shovel was really disrespectful and really lowered my respect for the man.. like you said you shouldnt ever say that to an employee you want them to have the most respect for you.. and if i was the boss in the same situation with the backfilling i wouldve done as much as i could with the machine so i wouldnt kill my employee's and that is how me and my dad work we do as much as humanly possible with the machine and then do what is left by hand... but we are different people and that is how i wouldve handled that situation....

Junior M
08-13-2008, 09:56 AM
I'll agree with others, the guy is a moron. Just keep in mind though, there are going to be days that you're going to have a crappy boss and even worse tasks to handle. I know, life is too short to be unhappy with things, but sometimes you just gotta stick it out. I woudln't worry about it too much, you're young, I probably would've done the same damn thing. No reason for you to be pissed off about your job at a young age. It's tougher when you're older, though, when you have a wad of bills to pay at the end of the month. Makes it a lot harder to tell the boss to screw himself and just take off, I can't even begin to start counting how many times I wanted to just peace out of the restaurant I worked at for almost 3 years. Hated the job, hated going to work, only liked 1 out of 4 managers, sucked.

Right now I can't walk off a job even if I wanted to, they'll throw me out of the apprenticeship program. Goodbye future for me if I don't like my boss or the job I'm doing, I gotta stick this out for 4 years and hope that every boss and job I get sent out to will be a good one. Chances are slim on that one.
scag i did handle it all summer... and i only took one week off during the summer and the whole crew took the week off and he agreed with me that i had worked all summer (most saturdays to) that i should take a week off after all it was my vacation...

i dealt with so much more crap you wouldnt believe it.... but its over now....

Fieldman12
08-13-2008, 08:54 PM
I have been an employer and an employee. Now if this guy hired you to be a general labor person than that means pretty much anything under the sun. If you where hired to be say a doctor and he gave you janitor work I would be mad. Granted he is paying you a pay check so you cannot say much but the fact is you did not take the job to be a janitor. It is okay to help them out every once in a while but when they start doing it all the time then you say something to stick up for yourself. Part of the problem may have been because you where young and he felt he could take advantage of you. He should have told you honestly where he went instead of saying he was talking to the owner. He could have also just said he would be back later. I agree that it would have been better to start early in the morning unless there was some other reason why you could not.

Junior M
08-13-2008, 09:20 PM
there wasnt an excuse he would just stay out all night to drink and come home just hammered well that is what i was told by the other guy and the guy would go knock on his window to get him up at a decent time and he would just cuss him till the guy quit trying..(he is renting his basement until he can get back on his feet) but all of us are friends so that doesnt help the situation any but we are alot better friends than employees and employers... and i really respect the guy and he is really smart i just know now not to work with him anymore becuz of this and we will hopefully stay friends...