PDA

View Full Version : Just one of "those" days

bobcat_ron
08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
I need to rant for awhile, my blood pressure is up and I need to vent.

I got called to a demo job this morning, get there on time, start breaking a wall and start on a huge concrete slab inside a rather stinky silage bunker.
Half way through, I stop to confirm what the plan is (farmers change their minds by the minute, so it helps to stay up to date) as I get back in the machine, I notice oil coming out of the hammer shroud. OK, no big deal, check the fittings and tighten.
I get back to work, 10 minutes later, there is pool of oil now dripping out of the hammer. Not good.
I curl the hammer into the travel position and run the oil flow. It's just squirting out of the hammer casing, right below the in/out line ports, right in the area where a valve sits to control the incoming oil pressure.

Oh sh*t.

I check the 6 socket head cap bolts, none have moved, all the paint is still intact on the heads and there is no paint chipping. As I shut off the engine, I hear a very quiet hissing noise, then I see some bubbles of red oil, and then the hissing gets louder and faster.

Holy sh*t.

I start throwing rocks at it at this point. I make a quick phone call to a mechanic who rebuilds these hammers, he told me to buy a new hammer, boy, you are S-C-R-E-W-E-D.
Now I already need a new hammer point and lower bushings, cost is $1500, and now it looks like it needs a whole new upper rebuild with new seals.

One problem, the Korean company that built this hammer has pulled out of North America and they cannot be reached or contacted anymore.

Oh firetruck.

Now the fun begins.................................
I rent a hammer from Bobcat Country, not the hammer I thought it would be, what a pile of dog sh*t, I need 85% of max. throttle to run the damn thing, and it vibrates harder than a lonely girl's "massage device" on a Friday night.

20 minutes into the (somewhat pleasurable) vibrations, I notice a massive oil leak from the hydraulic couplers on the loader.

Yeah!

The insane amount of back pressure that these firetrucking Boobcrap hammers develop, blew out their own hydraulic coupler. So I get it replaced. Now I get the job done, barely, some of the thicker concrete I left alone, it's just too much for it to handle. Now the customer wants a "price reduction" for the 3 hour job that turned into 6 hour job.

I need a beer.

And a hug.

This was the Boobcrap hammer in 6 inches of concrete, sounds like a machine gun:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/rdj-digi-vids/th_Bobcathammer.jpg (http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/rdj-digi-vids/?action=view&current=Bobcathammer.flv)

This is what mine does to 10 inch concrete:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/rdj-digi-vids/th_kampman4.jpg (http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/rdj-digi-vids/?action=view&current=kampman4.flv)

Junior M
08-12-2008, 07:55 PM
you shouldnt have to discount the price one bit its not your fault the stuff broke but you have probably read my rant... it was one of "those" days to!! haha

Nel-Martin
08-12-2008, 08:05 PM
what is your kittycraps attachment no good ?? ha ha ha

bobcat_ron
08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
what is your kittycraps attachment no good ?? ha ha ha

These hammers have a life of 6 years, mine made it to 5 1/2 years, and 1 nitrogen recharge since then, that should have been an omen already, when the charge pressure drops from 210 psi to just barely 40 psi in 4 years, there's something not right.

I will give it to my mechanic sometime next month, have him pull it apart, and if he feels it's just not worth chasing down seals and other parts, I'll pay him for his labor costs and scrap it, I'll just have to rent a Cat hammer until Fall.

YellowDogSVC
08-12-2008, 09:31 PM
There has to be a better hammer design out there. I hear about a lot of them that fail and though I have a need for one, I have never taken the plunge.

Sorry, I'm not much of a hugger unless it's hugging a lady..

I had a crappy day too. Finally get back to work with new machine after 6 weeks of waiting. Work 3 hours yesterday (crew didn't have enough trees cut to grind all day) and get 1 hour today and rains come back. It hasn't rained more than 2 inches in 90 days, I was practically off work for 6 weeks, and it rains an hour into a 1-2k job. Top that off and my new machine is already throwing a code that I have no clue how to fix so I am not going to worry about it too much until I have to. And to top everything off, my friggin' FORD 6.0 with 50k miles wouldn't start, again, and I think it's the HPOP AND something with the EGR, AGAIN. I think the Good Lord has other plans for me and wants me to sell my business and do something else. Been a real test ever since I signed up to be a CAT man back in the Spring. I should have left well enough alone. Things were good back in the old days, albeit those were some dusty days!

Must be a good day for a rant..

Nel-Martin
08-12-2008, 09:40 PM
that explains all if you got 4 1/2 years out of it already , when you gettin a new cat ??

Gravel Rat
08-12-2008, 09:55 PM
What about going with a Stanley Rock Breaker one that works for a rubber tired backhoe ?

ksss
08-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Why bother rebuilding the hammer. There is no support for it, junk it. I am sure it doesn't owe you anything now, but it sure will after the rebuild. The reason the BC hammer did not perform well is due to poor GPM perfornance from your machine. Those hammers need flow and your CAT does not make much of it.

I have been running an Okada breaker for about 3-4 years now. I have no complaints. Much easier on the fittings than the BC/Stanley breaker and it hits hard.

YELLOWDOG,
I have it from a very reliable source, He is not telling you to sell out. He is telling you, you should have bought a CASE.:clapping:

YellowDogSVC
08-12-2008, 11:10 PM
YELLOWDOG,
I have it from a very reliable source, He is not telling you to sell out. He is telling you, you should have bought a CASE.:clapping:

You might be onto something but I really like the Bobcat s330 that I had modified. I'll post some pics. I didn't think the CASE III had been out long enough. Power, gpm, etc., was good to go but after my experience with the 272c, I wanted to wait and see what a year of reviews would say about it.
I feel my s330 is much more powerful than the 272c. So far, grinding is much better too, but I have only 5 hours so far. Time will tell. I only ended up with a 5k difference in price between the 330 and the 272c but I think I got more machine. It may not be as advanced as the CAT but the new interior guages are nice to look at and the A/C is ice cold so far. I still don't like the Bobcat seat but my windows don't rattle either! I had Bobcat take off the big tires and put 12x16.5's Galaxy Hulks and add a boom stop so it sits just like an s300. I could have replaced the bobtach but it was an extra $1200. If I can dig just fine with the boom stops, I'll just keep them.
I had the machine weighed and with all options added and counterweights removed, I am at 8840 with a full tank of fuel and C/I 74" tooth bucket and lexan door.
I got the ride control but now I wish I hadn't since nobody told me it was manual to turn it on and off. Have to open back door and flip a lever in a hard to reach spot for someone with a big hand.

Anyway, it can make me some money if I can get back to a full day's work. Seems like everything has been stacked against me since Spring but I really do believe the Good Lord has a plan but I don't think he wants me to switch machines just yet but he might want me to drive a dodge! :)

Gravel Rat
08-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Bobcat Ron has been seen at Parker Pacific picking up literature on a new skid steer :p

ksss
08-12-2008, 11:31 PM
You might be onto something but I really like the Bobcat s330 that I had modified. I'll post some pics. I didn't think the CASE III had been out long enough. Power, gpm, etc., was good to go but after my experience with the 272c, I wanted to wait and see what a year of reviews would say about it.
I feel my s330 is much more powerful than the 272c. So far, grinding is much better too, but I have only 5 hours so far. Time will tell. I only ended up with a 5k difference in price between the 330 and the 272c but I think I got more machine. It may not be as advanced as the CAT but the new interior guages are nice to look at and the A/C is ice cold so far. I still don't like the Bobcat seat but my windows don't rattle either! I had Bobcat take off the big tires and put 12x16.5's Galaxy Hulks and add a boom stop so it sits just like an s300. I could have replaced the bobtach but it was an extra $1200. If I can dig just fine with the boom stops, I'll just keep them.
I had the machine weighed and with all options added and counterweights removed, I am at 8840 with a full tank of fuel and C/I 74" tooth bucket and lexan door.
I got the ride control but now I wish I hadn't since nobody told me it was manual to turn it on and off. Have to open back door and flip a lever in a hard to reach spot for someone with a big hand.

Anyway, it can make me some money if I can get back to a full day's work. Seems like everything has been stacked against me since Spring but I really do believe the Good Lord has a plan but I don't think he wants me to switch machines just yet but he might want me to drive a dodge! :)

What kind of ride control switch is that! I have it on a trigger switch on the handle. If you want it on you hold it in, if you don't then don't hit the trigger.

Dam Yellowdog we need to talk. He does not want you in a Dodge either. GM is the Word and Duramax is the Promise.:cool2:

Junior M
08-12-2008, 11:44 PM
What kind of ride control switch is that! I have it on a trigger switch on the handle. If you want it on you hold it in, if you don't then don't hit the trigger.

Dam Yellowdog we need to talk. He does not want you in a Dodge either. GM is the Word and Duramax is the Promise.:cool2:
no god doesnt want him in some diesel sucking piece of garbage!! god wants him in a brand spanking new dodge 4500 cummins!!! haha just messing with ya...

CAT powered
08-12-2008, 11:50 PM
God doesn't hate Ford. Just the 6leaker. God wants you drivin a 7.3L with all the goodies. God likes a truck with stacks that rolls smoke too.

YellowDogSVC
08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
CAT Powered. I had a 7.3. Sorry I let it go.. :(

6.0 blows in every way imaginable. The guy that sold it to me when I was ignorant (and coming from cummins) should have told the truth about the problems they were experiencing. I was in a bind..didn't do my research properly, relied on specs, etc., so I deserve the stupid tax on that one.

KSSS..The ride control is a lever on a block attached at the back of the machine to the right just inside the door but on the frame. It is ridiculous and again, nobody told me or had any information about it but it seemed like a good idea when I ordered it. They told me after it was installed (and they had problems installing it because I guess I'm the only one who ever orders crap like that) that it is only for travel and you have to get out and engage and disengage it. I don't travel that far and I think it's more of a P. I. T. A. to get in and out to do anything other than pee or clean off my radiator. It is also in a spot that will cause debris buildup whereas in the other machines I've owned, I could easily wash debris out of that spot. I am thinking of having it taken out and letting them sell it for me. It truly is a mickey mouse design on Bobcat's part. In fact, I haven't even tested it yet because I don't want to move the lever.

Junior M
08-13-2008, 09:58 AM
just curious why did you sell your cummins?

bobcat_ron
08-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Why bother rebuilding the hammer. There is no support for it, junk it. I am sure it doesn't owe you anything now, but it sure will after the rebuild. The reason the BC hammer did not perform well is due to poor GPM perfornance from your machine. Those hammers need flow and your CAT does not make much of it.

OK, so let me get this straight, a "supposedly" 500 pound impact hammer did not run well because all of my 14 GPM @3300 PSI wasn't enough???

Let's not forget, my current hammer has 725 impact pounds and it has a max. rated oil flow of...............................14 GPM.

Bobcat biggest hammer needs a whopping 25-30 GPM to get 950 pounds of impact, I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

Cat's hammers require less flow and they put out more power, Stanley, Rammer and the other big names are also built the same, more power out of less oil flow.

I'd say the Bobcat hammers are a joke, the biggest problem I have had with it now, was getting the hoses off, there is so much pressure behind the couplers, I actually had to use my Cat's hydraulic release system to relieve the back pressure, something I never use when disconnectiing any attachments.

bobcat_ron
08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
What about going with a Stanley Rock Breaker one that works for a rubber tired backhoe ?

That's option #2, I'd like to try a Cat hammer first, then compare them, a lot of hammers are built by Stanley.
I am considering Stanley's Slab-Buster, that nifty drop hammer thingamajiggy, I have done a lot of floors and slabs in my time, and customers want concrete debris in smaller pieces.

CAT powered
08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Perhaps he got rid of his Cummins because he was sick of a truck that sounded like it was farting as it drove up a hill.

You can find some good 7.3L Superduties if you look hard enough. They're out there and they're cheap now since the pickup market is in the toilet.

ksss
08-13-2008, 09:13 PM
OK, so let me get this straight, a "supposedly" 500 pound impact hammer did not run well because all of my 14 GPM @3300 PSI wasn't enough???

Let's not forget, my current hammer has 725 impact pounds and it has a max. rated oil flow of...............................14 GPM.

Bobcat biggest hammer needs a whopping 25-30 GPM to get 950 pounds of impact, I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

Cat's hammers require less flow and they put out more power, Stanley, Rammer and the other big names are also built the same, more power out of less oil flow.

I'd say the Bobcat hammers are a joke, the biggest problem I have had with it now, was getting the hoses off, there is so much pressure behind the couplers, I actually had to use my Cat's hydraulic release system to relieve the back pressure, something I never use when disconnectiing any attachments.

Yep I would say you got it. 14 GPM is not enough to run the BC hammer. I am not defending the hammer only to say your machine at 14 gpm (which is pathetic in its own right) is not enough which is why you had to wind the hell out of your machine to run it. My Okada needs around 15 I think. I run it at near idle, but I make around 22 gal. at the aux. at full rpm. I have been trying to think of who it is that makes BC hammer now. Any one know?

DUSTYCEDAR
08-13-2008, 09:21 PM
i like the slab busters only problem is u cant do wall with it

dozerman21
08-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Anybody know who makes Deere's Worksite Pro breakers, or do they build their own? I rented a 500lb. last summer and thought it did pretty good.

I've never priced one of those breakers... does anyone have a ballpark price on a 500 pounder?

ksss
08-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Anybody know who makes Deere's Worksite Pro breakers, or do they build their own? I rented a 500lb. last summer and thought it did pretty good.

I've never priced one of those breakers... does anyone have a ballpark price on a 500 pounder?

I would guess in the 7.5 to 8K range. I priced at 1000 Pound Okada and it was like 13K :dizzy: I told them thanks but I will just peck a way a little longer.

Tigerotor77W
08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Perhaps he got rid of his Cummins because he was sick of a truck that sounded like it was farting as it drove up a hill.

As I was sitting at the US-Canada border crossing (Port Huron), I saw an awesome bumper sticker (well back-window sticker in a Dodge Ram) -- "I'd rather be a cummin' than a strokin'."

I doubt the majority of the English-speaking world understands that (probably one of those "cover your eyes, son!" times), but I thought it was hilarious -- and clever -- and it fits here, too, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Sorry to hijack the thread... hope you find a hammer (with or without the help of ksss :P) that works on the 47!

CAT powered
08-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I'd rather be Stroked than Rammed. That's one of my personal favorites.

ksss
08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
As I was sitting at the US-Canada border crossing (Port Huron), I saw an awesome bumper sticker (well back-window sticker in a Dodge Ram) -- "I'd rather be a cummin' than a strokin'."

I doubt the majority of the English-speaking world understands that (probably one of those "cover your eyes, son!" times), but I thought it was hilarious -- and clever -- and it fits here, too, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Sorry to hijack the thread... hope you find a hammer (with or without the help of ksss :P) that works on the 47!

Well i can add to the Cummin V Strokin comment. A local rookie cop here (not in Rigby) wrote a guy for displaying that sticker in his rear window of his Dodge. It was under some type profanity or public obscenity code. Prosecuter threw it out, but goes to show, buy a Duramax and you can avoid the childish games that Ford and Dodge must play just to see who is number 2.

BC is not interested in my help. Try as I might.

Maybe I will mold 500 pounds of sh!t in the shape of a hammer, put a steel point on it, run some hyd. hoses, paint it black with a CAT sticker on it and ship it up there. Be the best dam hammer made.

Johnny-CAT!
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
you can do as you wish but i would scrap that old hammer and get a new one bobcat_ron, (you dont want that old hammer on your new C series CAT! ha ha ha ):)

bobcat_ron
08-13-2008, 10:43 PM
you can do as you wish but i would scrap that old hammer and get a new one bobcat_ron, (you dont want that old hammer on your new C series CAT! ha ha ha ):)

I am leaning in that direction. I really want to look into the Slab-Buster first, Bobcat's drop hammer is way over priced, like $12,000 for their cheap knock off, no pun intended.

bobcat_ron
08-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Stanley makes them. My Dad bought lower bushings from the Deere dealer for the first hammer, and it was a Thomas branded Stanley hammer.

Johnny-CAT!
08-13-2008, 11:04 PM
hey bobcat_ron when are you getting your new CAT?

bobcat_ron
08-14-2008, 10:16 AM
hey bobcat_ron when are you getting your new CAT?

As soon as my truck stops making funny noises, looks like I need to start a savings program for a new truck in the next year, this truck of mine makes some weird and wild noises while going uphill.

crab
08-14-2008, 07:48 PM
now rat that's not gloomy,its goddamn funny!

coopers
08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Now Ron,

I happened to see a CAT 120 size excavator that wasn't bad looking. Kinda liked it...just a little, what are the 120 size called in CAT language?

bobcat_ron
08-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Now Ron,

I happened to see a CAT 120 size excavator that wasn't bad looking. Kinda liked it...just a little, what are the 120 size called in CAT language?

You mean a 312?

In Cat language it means, too small for the big stuff and too big for the little stuff.