PDA

View Full Version : Grub damage Aug 12th!

mikesturf
08-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Because of all the masked chafers and Jap bettles we had this summer (and all the rain) I expect ALL my customers who did not opt for a Merit treatment will have grubs. Today had a 15,000 sf lawn with lots of spots and TINY grubs. Quoted them $187 for Dylox treatment-sure its a lot, but I warned them a few times to go with Merit. Anyone else seeing grubs yet?

b121774
08-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I've had a few lawns with billbug's but still to early grub's.

tlg
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
No grubs found here yet. I'm sure they will be here soon enough. Smart customers go for the preventative grub application, but we make plenty of money on those that don't. It's a good time to sell next years preventative application. They can pay now or they can pay latter. It's only a matter of time before their lawns get grubs.

grassguy_
08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
mikesturf
I don't blame ya, have been doing the same here with warning EVERYONE and the jury is still out, but from the plots at Ohio State, the counts are enormous! from 10-40 per square foot! Today was actually the first day we seen them within the soil profile, but their sizes are in the first instar. Though i don't mind the additional grub sales from those experiencing the problems, the real issue is getting homeowners to still water it in now, and listening to the whining that continues to follow! this is one of those stories TO BE CONTINUED:rolleyes:>>>>>> LOL

mikesturf
08-12-2008, 11:25 PM
mikesturf
I don't blame ya, have been doing the same here with warning EVERYONE and the jury is still out, but from the plots at Ohio State, the counts are enormous! from 10-40 per square foot! Today was actually the first day we seen them within the soil profile, but their sizes are in the first instar. Though i don't mind the additional grub sales from those experiencing the problems, the real issue is getting homeowners to still water it in now, and listening to the whining that continues to follow! this is one of those stories TO BE CONTINUED:rolleyes:>>>>>> LOL

I am crossing my fingers that my Merit apps work.

TforTexas
08-13-2008, 04:38 PM
We've been seeing them here in Texas for 3 weeks or so now.

americanlawn
08-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Mike -- no reports of grubworm activity here yet (central Iowa). Last year was the worst we saw since the mid 80's. I hope this year is not a repeat.......or maybe not. Dylox treatment income could help offset the high fert costs. :laugh:

mikesturf
08-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I would expect this year to be much worse than last year (which was very bad in Chicago). For every grub last fall that hatched into a beetle this year, it will lay 12 eggs to hatch into grubs this fall. So theoretically, we could have 12 times more grub damage.

Athletic field
08-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Found grubs in western Pa last week. There's a patch of bent in the yard, it is now dead. I guess its a good thing, going to reseed this fall.