PDA

View Full Version : Time For A New Trailer. Lets Discuss

DSLND
08-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Ok, So I'm ready for a new trailer.... well I'm overdue for one.

Here is what I will be hauling on a daily basis:

Lesco 48" WB
Lesco 32" WB
Toro Pro-Line 21"
STIHL FS 110, FC 110, BR 550, BG 85, HS 45
Two Grass Gobblers; One Sulky; Garbage Can; Traffic Cones;

I have two TrimmerTrap racks, one backpack blower, and one for three trimmers. Also have one for handtools. A landscape basket will be added soon.

I'm really not into the whole enclosed trailer anymore, I honestly don't have room in my budget and I need to invest in other equipment.

I have a budget of $2k.

I want a side gate!

Dual Axle, Brakes

I really can't get anything over 16', just too big for my route.

Pulled with a Chevy 3/4 Ton Truck:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

I would like to hear some opinions/options.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

Cashio13
08-12-2008, 10:25 PM
I would say try 2 things:
1) Check out your local trailer shop. I know my shop has a 16ft trailer for $2195...a little over 2k but they are a smaller shop so they make up with it in prices.
2) Check on Craigslist...i have seen MANY, nice, 16ft trailers for around 2k.
Good luck, hope to see some pictures of the finished product.

Tyler7692
08-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Well you just said it. You should be able to find a decent tandem axle 16 footer anywhere. Now, it maybe a little more money for something nice, like a PJ Trailer.

TXNSLighting
08-12-2008, 11:30 PM
It shouldnt be to hard, but your not going to get any brakes if you want em. I just bought my 16ft off craigslist for 1100. a ramp gate would cost me about 150-200 and a side gate prob the same. so its doable. craigslist would be the best place to start.

oakwdman
08-12-2008, 11:43 PM
i would go for big tex / load trail. those seem to be holding up the best from what i see in my area. (not really many pj's around me). New 14' big tex 70tv (2ft solid steel sides) double axle brakes on both axles was running right at $3500 tax & title this spring by me. reglar open style was somewhere in the low 2's. I would start with craigslist like others have said.

dura to the max
08-13-2008, 12:01 AM
i would get a 16' trailer. good working size so you dont have to worry as much about logistics when planning your day. i think it's going to be close getting a 16' trailer w/ a side gate new for 2k. i would imagine about $2,200. and a gage will run you about $500.

i bought a brand new, 6x16 open trailer, dual brakes, rear ramp, cage, trimmer racks for about 2k. i have dual 3500lb axles and love the trailer. much easier to work from than an enclosed trailer imo. brakes are a must though, you wil love em once you try them for the 1st time.

DSLND
08-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks for all of the comments.

I have had good luck with my previous Carry-On, what are your opinions on them?

-Mitch-

dura to the max
08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
i think they are too lightweight. especially on the larger trailers. around they are waaaay overpriced. it costs more for a6x16 carry-on than one from the bigger trailer manufacturers.

oakwdman
08-13-2008, 10:03 AM
i have never been too impressed with carry on trailers. i think there are better brands out there for you mitch.

DSLND
08-13-2008, 10:20 AM
So I just got off the phone with a dealer.

He carries Load-Trail, which I have been impressed with.

Heres what I came up with:

77x14 Tandem Axle Landscape Trailer
2ft Mesh Sides
Side Gate
Brakes on BOTH Axles
$2895

Landscape Box Can Be Added For $300.

I didn't think that those prices were out of line. I'd like to purchase a NEW trailer, not a fan of really buying used stuff, being I need something that is warranted, and is not likely to break on me.

It is a two hour drive from my house, but he's the closest dealer.

-Mitch-

Cashio13
08-13-2008, 11:00 AM
I would say that's reasonable. It's a little more than you wanted to pay but 1) its your money and 2) i agree with getting something new. Its always nice to know you can take it back to the dealer if anything goes wrong. Hope to see some pics soon!

oakwdman
08-13-2008, 11:04 AM
i think you are doing the right thing. Talk to POPO (member on here, i'm sure you know of him) and see how he likes his load trail. he's got the same model that you are looking at but its an 18'.

TandM
08-13-2008, 08:42 PM
ya I would def go with that I think that the 14 is a great size Idk why you need dual axles on it though??? your only carrying to walk behinds right? I got my 6x14 single axle brand new last year with a side and rear gate and 4000 pound axle for 1150. I do think this would be a great trailer if u can spare the cash

mow king
08-13-2008, 09:27 PM
So I just got off the phone with a dealer.

He carries Load-Trail, which I have been impressed with.

Heres what I came up with:

77x14 Tandem Axle Landscape Trailer
2ft Mesh Sides
Side Gate
Brakes on BOTH Axles
$2895

Landscape Box Can Be Added For $300.

I didn't think that those prices were out of line. I'd like to purchase a NEW trailer, not a fan of really buying used stuff, being I need something that is warranted, and is not likely to break on me.

It is a two hour drive from my house, but he's the closest dealer.

-Mitch-

I'd try knocking him down a little. I just bought a new skidsteer trailer.

Dealer had it on the low for $3295. It was a Big Tex 18ft trailer with a 10k gvw and brakes on all axles, etc etc, real nice trailer.

Walked out the door for $2700.

If you have a few dealers within a reasonable drive, Fill up your tank and your pocket with cash, dealer's are hurting for sale - posted prices mean nothing.

pjtrailerguy
08-13-2008, 09:46 PM
The Load Trail trailer would be a good choice. Stay away from Carry-On. Built too light. Priced to high. PJ and Load Trail both are built with a 4" c-channel frame and tongue. The PJ even has removeable sides. We sell a brand new 16' PJ with a 4' fold down gate (spring loaded) for $2500. From a dealers standpoint you won't be able to beat them down on the price of a small utility trailer very much. Unless they are priced WAY high to begin with. But I know I would never sell a 3300 skid loader trailer for 2700 even if it meant losing the sale.

mike lane lawn care
08-13-2008, 09:56 PM
The Load Trail trailer would be a good choice. Stay away from Carry-On. Built too light. Priced to high. PJ and Load Trail both are built with a 4" c-channel frame and tongue. The PJ even has removeable sides. We sell a brand new 16' PJ with a 4' fold down gate (spring loaded) for $2500. From a dealers standpoint you won't be able to beat them down on the price of a small utility trailer very much. Unless they are priced WAY high to begin with. But I know I would never sell a 3300 skid loader trailer for 2700 even if it meant losing the sale.

and what would a PJ 77x14 with brakes on both axles, and a side gate for ATV's cost? curious for my own interests.

dura to the max
08-13-2008, 11:11 PM
i think that is waaaay high. although most of the trailers around here are manufactured somewhat locally. i think you should be more around the 2k-$2500 range.

Tyler7692
08-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I agree dura....to the P STROKE!

TandM
08-14-2008, 07:38 PM
I actually lookedat that same 7x14 trailer here a down to earth trailer manufactured local. built very well. dual 3500 axles with electric brakes and a side gate was 2k flat out.

dura to the max
08-14-2008, 09:06 PM
I actually lookedat that same 7x14 trailer here a down to earth trailer manufactured local. built very well. dual 3500 axles with electric brakes and a side gate was 2k flat out.

thats more the figure i was thinking of.

Herrick
08-14-2008, 11:51 PM
There are a lot of local dealers around here Mitch... call around and find the best deal. I know of a place up north a ways called r&p carriages that seems to have good prices, and they have a lot of stuff on the internet so you can shop online. here's a link for you... http://www.randpcarriages.com/ I think for the most part, buying a "name brand" trailer you are paying for the name as well as the steel... learn what makes a good trailer and go look at some of the ones that don't have a big name across the side... odds are you'll find a nice one for a lot less...

Hawg City Lawns
08-16-2008, 10:43 AM
why does everyone want brakes on their trailers for carrying that little of weight its more of a nusance than anything imo

bowhunter74
08-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Take a look at H&H trailers made in Iowa, got my 16' with brakes for $1875 out the door, and they are very well built with a lifetime wood guarantee. http://hhtrailer.com/

oakwdman
08-16-2008, 11:26 AM
You need trailer brakes in IL. It's the law. It's not like mowers is the only thing that is ever going to be on the trailer. I can't speak for mitch but i would be using it for mulch, rock, plants etc.

DSLND
08-16-2008, 04:34 PM
You need trailer brakes in IL. It's the law. It's not like mowers is the only thing that is ever going to be on the trailer. I can't speak for mitch but i would be using it for mulch, rock, plants etc.

You got it. Mainly mowers, but still used as a landscape trailer.

-Mitch-