PDA

View Full Version : Need help with purchase of a truck

MOWSTAUG
08-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Just started a new business and I'm looking for info on trucks.
Here's the deal I have a 2006 GMC 2500 6.0 withe a 4:11 rear. I can pull a house down but the gass is killing me.
I'm not bragging the truck is a left over from an old business where I did not have to pay for gas!!!!
I'm thinking of trading for something with a different rear and a smaller v-8.
I tow a 17' duel axel covered trailer with all the goodies. Nothing to fancy. I will need the payload to carry a ton of fert. or a pallet of sod.
I see lot's of guy's in the area with trucks that I think are overkill. Like f-350 towing a 16' trailer with 1 z-mower and some other supplies.

mowerbrad
08-12-2008, 10:41 PM
In my opinion bigger is better. You just never know when you will need the extra power or payload. But fuel prices are really hitting people with larger vehicles hard. Those people that you see with the 350's that you think is overkill may not be for them, you only see them pulling one trailer, for all you know they could pull heavier trailers and more equipment at other times.

mybowtie
08-12-2008, 11:07 PM
So you need it to haul a ton of product in the bed as well as tow the trailer?
I dont see how you can get a smaller truck and safely tow/haul that weight.
Even if your putting a pallet of product in the bed without towing your trailer,
you need a 3/4 ton..Maybee trade for a diesel..I get 14mpg's towing a 4500# trailer around town..Ya I know diesel is more $ at the pump. My nephew has the same truck as mine with the 6.0 gasser...It costs me LESS$$ to go the same miles as him..It just hurts to see that $130+ fill up(34 gal tank)..lol:usflag:

BarrFarms
08-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Man it sounds like I drive the same truck! It does do bad on gas, mow high-end and don't worry about it. lol. I did put cooper discover s/t's on it (mud) in 285/75's and it shot my gas milage, don't do that! It looks alot better now tho! On the farm we use 2 new 1500's, the active fuel management is a great tool but I like a big responsive truck! 3:73 is good in 15's don't go
to 3:42, and make sure you buy a 5.3 engine for towing.

Thanks,

MOWSTAUG
08-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the advice. Like I said in my post the old business I had I would fill up at the shop and never get the sticker shock at the pump. That first time you fill up to the tune of $125 or more makes you start asking questions. I'ts not just the $125 or so at the pump I'm filling up every 3-4 days. This is why I question the 4:11 rear end.
I love having the power I think I'll keep it and mow more grass.lol

KrayzKajun
08-13-2008, 03:17 PM
i'd love to have your truck! keep it!!! nevr downsize a truck!