PDA

View Full Version : Yet another mower thread

stevenf
08-12-2008, 10:30 PM
I know Ive been asking alot of these questions lately but I have come across another mower. It is a 36" Scag belt drive with Kolher engine. Its a 1998-2000 model, Kohler engine that has been rebuilt at one point in time.
The guy is asking $500.00 for it. My Idea: Since the season is over in 2+ months here, I was thinking of rebuilding this machine. Repaint it with the Scag orange, replace belts, spindle bearings, and blades during the winter. With all of this, Im thinking I would be around $700.00 for a fresh machine minus the engine itself.
Would you recommend doing this or spending my money elsewhere?

stevenf
08-12-2008, 11:12 PM
I also am going to look at another one tomorrow that is a 48". The guy said it was belt drivin and turns slower on one side compared to the other.... Im guessing its a loose belt but he said its his buddys and he used to cut grass with him so mabey he should know this?.?.?
He also said he tried to start it today and it didnt start.

AJ Lawnscapes
08-12-2008, 11:16 PM
I'd go with teh 48 for times sake, but I would make sure it's fixed prior to buying it, or buy it really cheap and less than the 700 you're looking to invest int he 36. I would also pick up the 36 for thos yards that are gated.

stevenf
08-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Is there anything I can do to make sure the engine is working? Mabey starter fluid just to hear it fire? This 48" he is asking $600.00

Alpha Property
08-13-2008, 12:14 AM
i have a 36 inch scag belt drive from the same era with the kawi on it, i love it, the 36 i can fit almost everywhere and its wayy faster than the 21's on every lawn, i have gotten so good i can use it kinda like a hydro and roll one side backwards to turn, belts set just rite so u can hold it in neutral without the brakes grabbing too hard, anyway, i'd say get the 36 and if u find u need a bigger machine, invest in some type of zero turn rider, a 48" belt drive i would think would be alot harder to maneuver at faster speeds, and its a pain to be constantly shifting gears for turns and obstacles and then straights

hackitdown
08-13-2008, 06:26 PM
I never buy a machine unless I have work for it, so I'd suggest saving your money. Spend it on advertising, get more business, then buy better equipment. You have a ZTR and a 21". Use what you own untill you are working 40+ hours, and you need to find a way to speed things up so you can handle more customers.

However, I think the 36" makes more sense than a 48" since you own a 44" ZTR. Sounds like short money for a niche machine to get you into gated yards. If it dies, so what, it was only $500.

Of course, I bet you could find a newer mint 36", used, for $1200 or so at the end of the season. So again, save your money.

punt66
08-13-2008, 06:35 PM
I bought an encore 48" belt from a friend for $150. It had a blown kholer on it. I waited and watched online for a deal on a motor. Found a kawi on craigslist used for $200. I bought it. I striped the machine down, repainted, installed motor, new trans belt, and sharpened blades. I have a like new machine for about $400. It was a fun project. But make sure you get the parts cheap or its not worth it. The mower runs and cuts like a champ.

stevenf
08-13-2008, 06:41 PM
My big thing is needing a strong machine that has a good cut and mulch potential. The only thing wront with my current home owner rider is the cut. Even with mulch blades, it leaves huge ugly grass clipping in clumps and boy does it love to scalp ANY imperfections in the ground(even riding off of grass on to pavement). This will be a primary unit for small residential accounts. When I land a few small commercials, I plan to buy a rider.
Are engines pretty much universal on these units? Kaw, Kolher, Briggs, Honda... any engine I can find locally?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I would rather have a machine that is somewhat ready to go myself. You may come across some bugaboos with this thing once you start tearing into it. Make sure you know what the machine needs as far as fix-it before you buy it.

dura to the max
08-14-2008, 05:49 PM
i love buying machines cheap like this. i would offer $700-800 for the pair. as mentioned before a motor can be found cheap, as as long as the other motor is not locked it should be relatively easy to fix. i would make an offer on the pair, but thats just me.