PDA

View Full Version : Terrible thing to ask, but I have too...........

INTEGRITY LAWN
01-23-2002, 04:32 PM
Okay, here it goes........You can yell at me, but don't shot! I have a very small lawncare business, just started mid last year. We did well, and were very blessed. Ended up with 10 ten customers from a one time 500 flier distribution. This is a side business for me, that I started for parents retirement, so NO I did not starve. :) Now that I gave you a brief history, here is the question. I can't afford the amount of money that these local mailing companies charge to distribute even just 1000 fliers. Last year I just drove up to mail box, and attached it. It was fun, and was excited about what was to come. However, as the year went on, I noticed probably 8 out of 10 subdivisions have "No soliciting" signs, and some even say "No Handbills". So basicly I am stuck. I am not one to offend people, but this is my main source of advertisment thus far. What do you think, or know about these signs, and what is your personal opinion and suggestion. Well, thank you for your time, and look forward to you ideas, and thoughts. And while I have my chance, Thank you all of you who give your imput on this site, to us rookies. Some of you are incredible beyond belief. Thanks. :D

carlriv
01-23-2002, 05:18 PM
I will send postcards through the mail to certain neighborhoods I want to target. Not a bulk mailing but the results are more where I want them. I can also skip the lawns that I am not interested in (steep hill front yard, or front lawn with small gate etc.) This way takes more work and planning, but I think it is worth it.

LoneStarLawn
01-23-2002, 05:44 PM
There are no legal bindings to "No Soliciting" in neighborhoods. It is city regulations that you have to watch out for.

MATTHEW
01-23-2002, 07:06 PM
SOMETIMES ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO PAY A SMALL FEE FOR A PERMIT.

Randy Scott
01-23-2002, 07:15 PM
I think you may be SOL. If they put these signs up there it's for a reason. Obviously there were enough people that wanted it done and complained about it. Wether there is any actual legal issues with those signs or not, wouldn't matter. If people don't want this type of activity in their neighborhood, what are you going to tell them, that sign isn't legally binding, like their going to hire your services then.
Like it or not, or can afford it or not, you are going to have to find another means of advertising. Possibly the local papers, or phone book. You might want to discuss this with existing customers in this neighborhood and emphasize to them that their word of mouth will help greatly, and for any referred customers you could offer them some type of discount for these referals.
It's not always as easy as you may think to just go out there and "cut grass" for some extra money. This is just some of the daily trials and tribulations that go on in this industry.Takes spending money to make money.

Bigtodd
01-23-2002, 09:59 PM
New to this site and looking forward to learning about the "green business..."

What we did for our snowplowing business is this: I made up some professional looking flyers on my computer and had a local print shop print and tri-fold them for me. Then we went out and targeted some areas and comunitites that we wanted to do work in and wrote down business names and addresses. Then I typed all of the addresses into a database program on my computer and had it generate mailing labels which I printed out. After that it was just a matter of buying a few books of stamps and sitting down and pasting labels and stamps. It ended up costing about $.90 per mailer and I probably spent 8 to 10 hours total over the course of a week or two.

Out of 400 mailers that we sent out, I did 50 new bids and got 15 new accounts.

We are going to be doing lawn care this year as well and I plan to use the same method for that.

BRL
01-23-2002, 11:42 PM
"Last year I just drove up to mail box, and attached it."
This is a federal offense, so be careful doing that. Put them on the doors or other such places, but not in the mail boxes. If you do a search for "flyer" I remember reading some great ideas in past posts, that I can't think of now.

INTEGRITY LAWN
01-24-2002, 12:34 AM
I don't actually open the boxes, I just stick it on the sides. I wonder where I can go to find the laws on mail boxes. I am sure I can't open the boxes, and I don't care to, but I wonder if sticking on sides is illegal. I really appreciate each one of you guys replies to this post. Please keep the input coming.

gogetter
01-24-2002, 12:51 AM
Integrity Lawn, easiest thing would be to stop your mailman sometime and ask. Otherwise, stop by your local post office and ask.
Not sure if it's legal or not around here, but it sure is common! Last season, I tried to stick most of them on the door if I could.
I really hate putting out fliers, but then again, it is nice to be able to pass the ones I don't care to deal with.

Bigtodd, wow! That's a 12.5% response on your fliers. That's high!. But it's a good thing you got that response seeing as you spent quite a bit of money on the whole deal. Good work.

RYAN
01-24-2002, 01:17 AM
Stick them in the newspaper boxes.

LoneStarLawn
01-24-2002, 01:38 AM
The "No Soliciting" signs in neighborhoods are voted on by a board. That board does not want people coming to their doors, ringing the door bell and try to sell them something. Placing a flyer at their door is different. If the "No Soliciting" sign was for a city then it would be a fine since they see no difference between the two. (plus want the permit money as well)

We have actually put out flyers in the past in neighborhoods that ended up having "No Soliciting" signs up (didn't see them until late) and have actually got a good number of people interested in those neighborhoods.