PDA

View Full Version : PVC fitting saver

DanaMac
08-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Has anybody used these? I never heard of them until last year when tech #2 started working for us. He mentioned it a couple times, and Ewing got a couple in because he mentioned it to them. I finally bought one this spring for him, and watched him use it yesterday on a cracked manifold. Thing work great!! He has used it a few times this year already. It has helped prevent having to rebuild and entire 8 zone manifold just because an ell and pipe cracked leading into the first PVC mani tee. Cored out the PVC to where all I saw was primer on the inside of the tee. We only picked up the 1".

I can't find a good pic or link, but this link is to a plumbing supplier with a couple weak pics.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcsaver.html

Tom Tom
08-13-2008, 09:09 AM
I've heard of them/seen 'em in the trade mags and probably could have used it several times.

Did you get the setup with the deluxe padded case? :laugh:

DanaMac
08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Did you get the setup with the deluxe padded case? :laugh:

No, just the single 1". Ewing still has two on the wall behind the counter. Go check 'em out. Before I buy them!!

Tom Tom
08-13-2008, 09:33 AM
No, just the single 1". Ewing still has two on the wall behind the counter. Go check 'em out. Before I buy them!!

Still waiting for them to get my SL1600 in. Its been 2 weeks+ since I ordered it.

Anyone else having problems getting SL1600's?

Ewing had a smokin' deal in July on the SL1600/monitor package.

irrig8r
08-13-2008, 09:36 AM
I have 3 sizes. Used to be distributed by Christy's with the name "Socket Saver". I've used them for over 5 years...maybe closer to 10. You need to have the right approach angle and room for a drill.

I heard Christy's stopped selling them (www.tchristy.com) so I bought a couple extras.. I did get one stuck in a tee once when the screw came loose.

I've also used a heat gun to extract broken stubs... carefully.

Dripit good
08-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Cool tool. Have'nt seen one before. Looks like a real time saver if you can overcome the point made by irrig8r. Did/do you have a problem with the shavings?

Waterit
08-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Still waiting for them to get my SL1600 in. Its been 2 weeks+ since I ordered it.

Anyone else having problems getting SL1600's?

Ewing had a smokin' deal in July on the SL1600/monitor package.

No prob getting 1600's here. Love that thing, especially the dual-voltage tranny.

That WAS a great deal in July - "employee pricing" supposedly - $150 for 1600plus an extra mod and the SLW10. It was limited to 2 per customer, so I had some of my buddies that don't use 'em but do buy from Ewing get their 2 and give 'em to me.

evergreensolutions
08-13-2008, 10:24 AM
No prob getting 1600's here. Love that thing, especially the dual-voltage tranny.

That WAS a great deal in July - "employee pricing" supposedly - $150 for 1600plus an extra mod and the SLW10. It was limited to 2 per customer, so I had some of my buddies that don't use 'em but do buy from Ewing get their 2 and give 'em to me.

That pricing is not real far off from what I pay everyday for an SL1600, module, and SLW10. Best controller out there if you ask me.

WalkGood
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Has anybody used these? I never heard of them until last year when tech #2 started working for us. ......... Thing work great!! He has used it a few times this year already. It has helped prevent having to rebuild and entire 8 zone manifold just because an ell and pipe cracked leading into the first PVC mani tee.

So, what is the reward to tech #2 for his time-n-money saving request for this tool?

payup

Waterit
08-13-2008, 10:46 AM
That pricing is not real far off from what I pay everyday for an SL1600, module, and SLW10. Best controller out there if you ask me.

You sure? SL with one mod costs me 131 and change, SLW10 is 142.

So if you're paying "not far off" from 150, you're getting one he!! of a deal. Maybe I need to buy from your branch, even with shipping I'd save some scratch.

Wet_Boots
08-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Cracked manifold?http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/6049/eightvalvemanifold23fz.jpg

(obligitory knock wood :hammerhead:)

Dripit good
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
That manifold cracks me up. Its busier than polka dots on pin stripes!

DanaMac
08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
So, what is the reward to tech #2 for his time-n-money saving request for this tool?

payup

Keeping his job :)

I'm actually giving both a paid day off tomorrow and taking them to the Colorado Rockies baseball day game against Arizona. I think Tom Tom is going too.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-13-2008, 11:54 AM

payup

It's always money with you.:rolleyes:

Waterit
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Cracked manifold?http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/6049/eightvalvemanifold23fz.jpg

(obligitory knock wood :hammerhead:)

Still posting that same old pic - time to take some new ones, Boots (try Google Images).

Wet_Boots
08-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey, not all my manifolds are outrageous. Besides, if I don't repost that every so often, the image host will delete it.

Waterit
08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm just saying, we want to see some OTHER Bootsisms.

WalkGood
08-13-2008, 03:15 PM
It's always money with you.:rolleyes:

Look who's talking, "Kettle Boy". ;)

AI Inc
08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Keeping his job :)

I'm actually giving both a paid day off tomorrow and taking them to the Colorado Rockies baseball day game against Arizona. I think Tom Tom is going too.

Sounds cool , fridays is deep sea fishing haddock / cod for my guys. One of our customers is a cappy out of rye harbor NH, traded him a 1 zone add on for a day of off shore fishing.

greenmonster304
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Has anybody used these? I never heard of them until last year when tech #2 started working for us. He mentioned it a couple times, and Ewing got a couple in because he mentioned it to them. I finally bought one this spring for him, and watched him use it yesterday on a cracked manifold. Thing work great!! He has used it a few times this year already. It has helped prevent having to rebuild and entire 8 zone manifold just because an ell and pipe cracked leading into the first PVC mani tee. Cored out the PVC to where all I saw was primer on the inside of the tee. We only picked up the 1".

I can't find a good pic or link, but this link is to a plumbing supplier with a couple weak pics.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcsaver.html

one time when i was doing somthing stupid (tried to get a tee in the poly just before the manifold and snaped the first tee) I just cut the broken end clean and got the next size up coupling that fits around the manifold tee (1 1/2" or 1 1/4"). Then bushed back down to 1".

bicmudpuppy
08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Dana, that is a different tool, but the same function as a RamBit. Jon and I talked about the over a year ago. It always makes me nervous to use/re-use a fitting on the pressure side, but I've done it with success. Wet/dry blue flex glue (your preference for brand) always makes me feel a bit more comfortable AND I don't pressure them up until the next day.

A search for "rambit" turns up 6 old threads.

Waterit
08-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Years ago one of my mentors taught me how to "cheat out" pipe from inside a fitting. Cut the pipe off even with the shoulder of the fitting, then take a sawzall blade and cut almost all the way through the pipe in a couple of spots about an inch apart. Insert a small screwdriver into the glued area and gently tap the cut piece of pipe away from the fitting. the rest of the pipe should peel out pretty easily. Once pipe is out, I prime both sides then glue (hot blue) immediately. Wait until next day (okay, wait until I've put all my tools back on the truck) to hit it with pressure.

I may have to post a pic so I can illustrate it.

Been doing it that way when in a jam for a long time, have never had a "cheated" fitting blow out on me yet. True, I have busted some fittings, but they would've had to be cut out anyway, so...

::::cringes under desk, watches for sharp objects and pointed remarks::::

dhess
08-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Years ago one of my mentors taught me how to "cheat out" pipe from inside a fitting. Cut the pipe off even with the shoulder of the fitting, then take a sawzall blade and cut almost all the way through the pipe in a couple of spots about an inch apart. Insert a small screwdriver into the glued area and gently tap the cut piece of pipe away from the fitting. the rest of the pipe should peel out pretty easily. Once pipe is out, I prime both sides then glue (hot blue) immediately. Wait until next day (okay, wait until I've put all my tools back on the truck) to hit it with pressure.

Been doing it that way when in a jam for a long time, have never had a "cheated" fitting blow out on me yet. True, I have busted some fittings, but they would've had to be cut out anyway, so...

anyone have pics of the kit in action? also curious to see some pics of the above technique

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-14-2008, 05:54 AM

Did you bill for the 45 minutes you wasted on doing the cheater? With PP and TT and even TT alone I don't think you can get the pipe and fitting apart anymore. That worked well on the old clear glue everybody used to use. I can assure you that it won't work on any fitting I glue in. I have in desperation torched pipe out of fittings before. Would not recommend this to pups.

bicmudpuppy
08-14-2008, 07:52 AM
I saw and then later purchased the first Rambit I ever used from Longhorn in Dallas.

Peter, have you used them? A ram bit actually chases the old pipe via a washer that sets into the pipe, It makes no attempt to follow the actual fitting. You get a set of washers w/ each bit......one for class, one for sch40 and one for sch 80.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-14-2008, 07:57 AM
I saw and then later purchased the first Rambit I ever used from Longhorn in Dallas.

Peter, have you used them? A ram bit actually chases the old pipe via a washer that sets into the pipe, It makes no attempt to follow the actual fitting. You get a set of washers w/ each bit......one for class, one for sch40 and one for sch 80.

Never have but now I'm intrigued. 99% of what we repair is 1" or below. If I dealt with larger sizes more frequently I'd consider cheaters more seriously I'm sure.

Waterit
08-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Did you bill for the 45 minutes you wasted on doing the cheater? With PP and TT and even TT alone I don't think you can get the pipe and fitting apart anymore. That worked well on the old clear glue everybody used to use. I can assure you that it won't work on any fitting I glue in. I have in desperation torched pipe out of fittings before. Would not recommend this to pups.

Usually takes about 10 minutes, and you do have to pick your spots to try it.
I've done it on PP and TT joints.

Definitely not for the pups or the faint of heart. But when the choice is to cheat the pipe out of an indexer or have to come back with a replacement...

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Usually takes about 10 minutes, and you do have to pick your spots to try it.
I've done it on PP and TT joints.

Definitely not for the pups or the faint of heart. But when the choice is to cheat the pipe out of an indexer or have to come back with a replacement...

I can see on a FIMCO you'd want to go that route.

hoskm01
08-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Looks like a goody. 100 bones for the kit, not bad pricing.

DanaMac
08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Dana, that is a different tool, but the same function as a RamBit. Jon and I talked about the over a year ago. It always makes me nervous to use/re-use a fitting on the pressure side, but I've done it with success. Wet/dry blue flex glue (your preference for brand) always makes me feel a bit more comfortable AND I don't pressure them up until the next day.

A search for "rambit" turns up 6 old threads.

I thought there had been some talk here about it, but couldn't find anything due to different name. I do like it and will put one on each truck next year. Something that would also help out when using this is an angle drill.

irrig8r
08-14-2008, 10:11 AM
....Something that would also help out when using this is an angle drill.

Good point. Now I have an excuse to buy another cordless tool...:)