PDA

View Full Version : Screening topsoil + lovely employee work

CAT powered
08-13-2008, 03:56 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Picture032.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Picture033.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Picture034.jpg
One of my guys running the dozer cleaning out underneath the screen.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Picture035.jpg
The buttons with which I control the whole operation.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Picture036.jpg
A little shot of inside the drum as it turns. Had to quit early because the dirt was too wet and it just stuck to the inside of the drum.

Now for some handywork of my new guy. Not the one in the picture.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Picture030.jpg
Well the height wasn't marked. Oh... wait...
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Picture029.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Picture028.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Picture031.jpg
The truck frame is bent and the truck was only 1700$ when I bought it so it's not worth repairing it. Bad news is insurance doesn't cover one-vehicle incidents. Oh well. I think he's not going to pull anything like that again. As long as he doesn't have another incident I'm probably not going to fire him.
I guess it should have thrown warning flags when he said his truck needed to be fixed because it was in an accident. I've got him running a D8 sized Dresser dozer and he does good on that, but he definitely wrecked this truck.

Junior M
08-13-2008, 05:27 PM
so is this a job your doing? or do you sell topsoil? if so what exactly do you do? btw nice dozer...

CAT powered
08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
That is at my company yard. I screen topsoil and sell it to a local town. A while ago there was a thread about screening material and I made mention that I had that McCloskey and someone asked me to put up pictures when I ran it again. I usually only run it when the town puts in a purchase order for it. I wish I had taken advantage of the dry weather we had early August. We can't get a solid 3 rainless days here now.

That dozer is a 1997 (i think) Dresser TD7 H. It has a Cummins with under 100 hours in it. It cost me like 23k including costs of putting in the new engine. I had to deal with some family shullbit 2 years ago so I had to start this business from scratch 2 years ago. That dozer is going to be replaced by a JD 550J soon, but first I need a nice little D6.

mow king
08-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Throw that truck on ebay, even with the damage you'll probably get $900-$1000 out of it.

CAT powered
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Maybe. I do have that truck's exact twin that carries around 275 gallons of diesel and 100 gallons of hydraulic oil so I could theoretically pull the engine and trans and have them just in case the other truck breaks. It might be interesting to see what that truck would get though. I might try that.

Dirtman2007
08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Maybe. I do have that truck's exact twin that carries around 275 gallons of diesel and 100 gallons of hydraulic oil so I could theoretically pull the engine and trans and have them just in case the other truck breaks. It might be interesting to see what that truck would get though. I might try that.

finish ripping the sides off and you'll have a nice little flat bed truck!

Junior M
08-13-2008, 07:52 PM
what kind of excavator do you use?

CAT powered
08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Dirtman that was the first thought that ran through my mind when I saw it. Unfortunately he bent the frame so that's not really an option at this point.

The excavator there is a 94 (i think) Deere 490E with a thumb on it. It is just about the right size because with a 3 yard loader you can overwhelm it sometimes.

Junior M
08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
you might take the truck to a body shop or dealership and have them put it on the frame rack.. not sure what the technical name is but that is what my great cousin does before he sells a used truck...

CAT powered
08-13-2008, 09:42 PM
It's not worth the money. I am friendly with a guy that owns a large trailer dealership and he has one of those things that straightens frames out, but it would cost more than I paid for the truck to begin with.

And in other news this just isn't my week. Truck gets totaled and insurance wont pay it. Now I was out mowing and the loader frame on the tractor bumped the guide wire for a telephone pole. The top of the pole snapped off and fell towards the street and power lines were down on the street. Luckily for me my facility is on a po-dunk little road so the cops got there before any cars had to go by. It was getting to be slightly dark and the sparks that flew off that street light when it fell were pretty neat. Luckily for me even the dumb cop that was there was able to figure out within 45 seconds of rolling up that it was a rotted out pole and it shouldn't have done that.

ksss
08-13-2008, 09:55 PM
It's not worth the money. I am friendly with a guy that owns a large trailer dealership and he has one of those things that straightens frames out, but it would cost more than I paid for the truck to begin with.

And in other news this just isn't my week. Truck gets totaled and insurance wont pay it. Now I was out mowing and the loader frame on the tractor bumped the guide wire for a telephone pole. The top of the pole snapped off and fell towards the street and power lines were down on the street. Luckily for me my facility is on a po-dunk little road so the cops got there before any cars had to go by. It was getting to be slightly dark and the sparks that flew off that street light when it fell were pretty neat. Luckily for me even the dumb cop that was there was able to figure out within 45 seconds of rolling up that it was a rotted out pole and it shouldn't have done that.

Reminds me of a County and Western song. Welcome to Earth, third rock from the sun. Sorry, couldn't resist.

mow king
08-13-2008, 10:19 PM
In that case, pull the motor and trans to have a spare.

Cut the sides of the body, so you have "flat bed" and put in the ad that the frame is bent.

You'll still get probably $700 for it.

coopers
08-13-2008, 10:39 PM
CAT,

Nice shots! I like the look of that screened soil too! Can you throw some pics of the 490 too? I was curious to see how people handle the spoils. The 412 screen has the spoils dropping right against the machine. I think that I would want to figure out a way to have the spoils get somewhat away from the machine so I can come in with the backhoe and scoop it out.

CAT powered
08-13-2008, 10:59 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/maj_massacre/Toys004v2.jpg
There's a shot of her back when things were dry. It ran me about 30,000$ at an auction. Pins and bushings are in very good condition and the cab is tight. Too bad it has no AC. It's nice in winter though.

Gravel Rat
08-14-2008, 12:09 AM
I have done lots of topsoil screening it can be boring but keep the radio cranked up and keep working. We were using a shaker screen plant not a trommel plant so it was lots of backhoe work moving the soil.

That 490 looks like its in good shape the tracks are not missing any pads and they are not sagging.

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 12:24 AM
I don't let my machines run around if they are missing pads. My only complaints about that machine are it doesn't have a radio or AC and it needs a new seat. Sometimes it feels underpowered, but it isn't really a very big machine. I really need a 270 in addition to it.

One thing you can't tell in the picture is the rear doors on the sides are both bent in. Not from me, but I've still got to replace or repair them.

ksss
08-14-2008, 12:37 AM
. Sometimes it feels underpowered, but it isn't really a very big machine. I really need a 270 in addition to it.

One thing you can't tell in the picture is the rear doors on the sides are both bent in. Not from me, but I've still got to replace or repair them.

Compare the specs of a 710 backoe to a 120 excavator. Not much difference, even in the weight. 120's have their place, there are a couple guys that dig foundations with them here. I rented a 130 for a good sized hole that was 10' deep. The shorter stick was frustrating to me. They are nimble, I did like that.

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 12:42 AM
The 120 will be able to function in much harsher conditions than the 710 backhoe could.

Backhoes don't make sense for what I do. I've run and owned several backhoes over the years and they do two things, but they do neither thing well. Usually the front end is mediocre at best and the back bucket leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Gravel Rat
08-14-2008, 12:48 AM
A radio is a easy addition most guys here go to a store that sells car stereos and pick up a cheaper CD player or a radio that will work with Sirrus Satelite.

A good seat is a must or you will have back problems. The 490-590-690 and 792 all use the same servo hydraulic controls. You need a good Deere mechanic to set up the controls properly and you will have the power your supposed to have.

I learned that from a operator that has run the 90 series Deeres for quite a few years. The 690 I was running wasn't set up properly the machine didn't work as good as it should.

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 12:55 AM
"Or you will get back problems"

It's a little too late for that. The seat itself is in ok condition but it is missing the armrests and headrest.

And I suppose I should have elaborated about underpowered. It's got the power it just doesn't have the weight. If I stick the boom all the way out and try to get a bucketful of dirt it tips on its nose. I had an old LinkBelt 2700 that I was unfortunately forced to part ways with that wouldn't tip no matter what you did to it. And this machine was originally set up with the JD funny controls so I had a mechanic come out and swap them to regular controls. I can run both, but I'm smoother on regular controls.

coopers
08-14-2008, 12:56 AM
I would eventually like to pick up a backhoe for backup and all around general use on property and maybe occasionally on a job site....but I feel that as I pick up next year I'll find an excavator will be the most common thing I use and other equipment followed by that. It would be nice to have a backhoe for screening since I probably couldn't justify buying a loader at any point in my life.

ksss
08-14-2008, 01:21 AM
The 120 will be able to function in much harsher conditions than the 710 backhoe could.

Backhoes don't make sense for what I do. I've run and owned several backhoes over the years and they do two things, but they do neither thing well. Usually the front end is mediocre at best and the back bucket leaves a lot to be desired as well.

Agreed. I was just comparing the capacities of the two which are about the same (reference the underpowered statement). I have no use for a backhoe myself. My sales guy says that I could use a 590 just as loader and the backhoe would be a bonus. It makes sense from an ROI perspective, but I would prefer a wheel loader.

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 01:25 AM
You guys like your shiny new equipment all the time. You can justify a loader if you can find a loader for 10 grand. I bought 3 identical loaders with 4-in-1 buckets on them for 8500 dollars each. I turned two around and sold them for upwards of 12,000 each at auction so I pretty much got a free loader.

coopers
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
You guys like your shiny new equipment all the time. You can justify a loader if you can find a loader for 10 grand. I bought 3 identical loaders with 4-in-1 buckets on them for 8500 dollars each. I turned two around and sold them for upwards of 12,000 each at auction so I pretty much got a free loader.

Well shiny new equipment is always nice, but I personally like the old Case 580C's and D's over the new M's or even the L's. But other than general use around the property, I wouldn't have too much use for a backhoe I think either. But time will tell. That turn around on your loaders CAT is awesome. Always nice when it works out like that.

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Yea. They were old Dresser 530 loaders. They were in Long Island and I hauled them as far as I could go without being in Rhode Island to get them to auction. The funny thing is one of the loaders was back at the same auction company's yard the next sale they had, but it had a new paint job and a lot of Bondo. Eventually I'd like a new Deere 544, but there's a lot of things on the list ahead of upgrading the loader. (Deere 270 excavator, CAT D6, trade the 35 ton RGN in on a 50 ton, then finally a loader)

If I can get some dry weather I can really push material through that screen. I wasn't even able to get 20 yards through it then.

coopers
08-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Oh yikes, 20 yards isn't much. We have hot dry weather here. 90's today, 96 Saturday. Not my cup of tea but whatever. You want a 270? Wow, that's a jump in size from the 490. Is an excavator more productive for screening than a wheel loader?

crab
08-14-2008, 09:34 PM
i love the 544 there are very nice,controls a little slow but very nice.

crab
08-14-2008, 09:37 PM
sorry bad spelling.

Gravel Rat
08-14-2008, 09:45 PM
A excavator is quicker to load a screener if the material is near the screener in a big pile then you can keep bailing with a clean up bucket. When we were screening soil had one excavator loading a gravel truck hauling the material to the screener and the other excavator loading the screener. A wheel loader will overload a screener if the topsoil is coarse stickey stuff.

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Yea. I've run a 544 for someone else and liked it. The 624 is really underpowered because it is a 644 loader frame on a 544 drivetrain or so I've been told.

The dirt can wedge itself in the hopper if you try to put too much in. Sometimes a 3 yard loader can put too much dirt in. The main reason I am using the 490 in this instance is because I currently have just one loader and I don't want any "dirty" material to get stuck in the bucket and possibly fall out when I'm loading screened material into trucks. Plus if I leave the loader free for the truck driver I don't have any time where the screen isn't using material.

Currently I'm not going to be doing any screening for the next week or so it looks like. I had a good downpour today and there were already little rivers where the loader had made ruts. I'm hoping for a week of sun and then maybe I can put some volume through that screen. Usually I can put about a yard a minute through it.

As for why I want the 270 I do a large amount of work with a client that is in the process of converting his several acres of greenhouses into wood heat rather than oil. Last year he spent upwards of 500,000$ on heating oil. I bought a LaBounty shear that would fit the pins on a 270 sized machine and I have a large amount of wood coming in on a regular basis that I need to break down before I can bring it to him. I haul it by the walking floor trailer which is about 100 yards. That is the main reason I want the 270 is for breaking down wood. Another thing is for any decent sized excavation project the amount of dirt the 490 moves doesn't amount to a pisshole in a snowbank. And it annoys me to no end that I can't just boom up to load a triaxle. I've got to put the stick out and boom up in order to load so it takes longer to go from digging to loading. Originally I was looking at a 300 sized machine, but the shear changed that plus the 270 is significantly cheaper than the 300.

coopers
08-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Well that makes sense if you need the 270 for that reason. I can see how the loader can overwhelm the screen. My boss would be busy mixing and moving material next to the screen while it processed the material so there wasn't too much of waiting around to dump while the soil or compost was screened.

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Yea. I forgot to include the rolloff that I'm looking at. I'll be back here tomorrow night with whether I got it or not. There's actually 2. There are two 1990 Peterbilt tandem axle rolloffs at a local auction tomorrow. One is a 357 and the other is a 379. Both have tarps on them. There are 9 30yd cans for sale as well. All of them in decent condition. There are a lot of places that have wood waste that don't have the machinery to load a walking floor as well as they don't need the volume a walking floor provides.

Currently I have a client that produces over 300 yards per week of wood that I supply walking floor trailers to, but my greenhouse client that is burning the wood is guessing he will need about 10 loads a week.

This is cutting-edge for the greenhouse industry and for everyone since no large facilities like that are wood-heat yet. Right now it is pay dirt since I'm getting money on both ends.

coopers
08-14-2008, 10:18 PM
This is very interesting stuff. Wood heated green houses. That's a lot of wood too. Holy crap. 300 yards of wood a week? Is that from clearing or what?

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 10:29 PM
It's actually a pallet production facility. They make about 12,000 pallets a day average. They also lease pallets. Sometimes the pallets can't be fixed and sent back out so they need to dispose of them somewhere. Here is where I come in.

I am also looking at the gov't. They have a lot of wood that they want disposed of on a regular basis. There's money on both ends of that too.

The old contractor at the pallet place wanted to bang them for like 10 grand a month for wood disposal. They're probably cussing me out and calling me a lowballer.

When I went into the place to start with I went to their desk and told them I wanted to talk to a supervisor and they told me he was busy or in a meeting or some BS and told me to go away. When I mentioned their wood waste he was there immediately wanting to shake my hand and give me a bottle of water while asking me to go to his office. LOL

Right now I'm getting 450$ each load out of them. I haven't worked out a price per load with my greenhouse client. I'm currently bringing in the wood and dumping it onto some old asphalt and pushing it and running it over with the dozer in the picture there to reduce the volume of it.

coopers
08-14-2008, 11:33 PM
oh wow, that is very cool! Never thought of that type of work. haha.

coopers
08-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Hopefully it dries out soon because I'd like to see more pics of the screen and your equipment working.

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Not sure what's going on with my camera, but now I turn it on and the screen doesn't work except when I put it on the viewing mode where you back through all your pictures. It still takes pictures, but it doesn't show on the screen.

So until I can get it figured out or replace it there won't be pictures. Oh well. The screen won't run again until the dirt dries and I could replace it before then.

CAT powered
08-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Well the news is I bought a rolloff today. It's a 92 Peterbilt 357 triaxle with a load cover and an Eaton 7 speed trans. I was hoping to buy a 99 Peterbilt tandem axle that had a hooker on it. It was a Gal-Fab hooker. Not that kind. I have to weld a 4" strap binder on the back of this truck or install one of those units from Gal-Fab. The law requires you to have the back of the container held down by something other than its own weight. I bought two cans as well. I am probably going to lease other containers I'm going to need until after year 1 with the rolloff. The sale I was at today had exactly 3 dozen rolloff trucks. None of them were older than 1985 and the newest was a 2004.

Junior M
08-15-2008, 05:42 PM
lets see some pics.. please.

CAT powered
08-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't have any pics currently. Mainly because it was raining out today and I didn't want to get soaked trying to take pictures and my camera is broken at the moment. Once I get it back to my yard I'll try to grab some pics of it.

coopers
08-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Oh cool, congrats on the new truck. Yeah my camera does that if the dial on the top to set it in picture mode, video mode, night picture mode etc. etc. is in between modes...it freaks out. I wish we had a little bit of rain here, need it.

CAT powered
08-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Looks like we might have a 3 day stretch of sun next week. That might help things dry a little.

My current forecast is
Saturday: rain
sunday, monday: sun
tuesday: rain
wednesday, thursday, friday: sun
saturday, sunday: rain

Basically it means that everything starts drying out, but then it gets soaked again.

SLSNursery
08-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I picked up my new (1200 hours) 160 in the sun and by the time we climbed up on the pile it started to pour like crazy. I tried to snap a picture.

The sun came out though, and we started feeding the plant. I am running the older 9020 to mix in compost. The screener is a loaner while mine gets a new drum. I have a much smaller Rawson Trommel.

SLSNursery
08-17-2008, 09:46 PM
I know how you guys love Case, so I figured a few more pics wouldn't hurt. We mix compost with soil to make loam and also keep some screened compost around for planting. We use big billboard vinyls to cover the piles.

CAT powered
08-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Phil I'm not sayin too much about my stuff here now. You're the enemy. (read competitor)

That's some good lookin stuff you got there, Phil.

We're supposed to get some good weather after Tuesday. Where exactly in West Haven is that site located at?

ksss
08-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Thats what I like to see, Lots of Power Tan!:weightlifter::cool2:

Junior M
08-17-2008, 09:54 PM
yeah right before it falls apart!! hahahaha just messin with ya.

SLSNursery
08-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Happy Birthday.
How is your 9020 hanging in. My turned over 12,500 hours, and I need something more reliable so when the 160 became available I jumped on it.

Here's another Case picture for the enthusiasts. This is a tree at my house that we took down for an addition. It's like a bone for a big dog!

Cat Powered - there is a lot of room for all of us to make a living. I'm off of route 1. I love the action photos, so I couldn't resist putting a few pics up.

ksss
08-17-2008, 10:01 PM
yeah right before it falls apart!! hahahaha just messin with ya.

I think it is time Jr. goes to his room for a "time out".:waving: And leave that poor sock alone.

Junior M
08-17-2008, 10:09 PM
I think it is time Jr. goes to his room for a "time out".:waving: And leave that poor sock alone.
mom!!!!!! do i have to????? darn.......

hahahaha nice pics guys keep them coming.. nice backhoe by the way..

CAT powered
08-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Haha. Leave the poor kid alone, KSSS. He's just "curious."

And Phil I'm jokin around about the whole work stealin thing.

I'm based out of East Haven so I know your area pretty well.
If you ever see a blue Ford 6610 with a Tiger over the rail mower running around North Haven mowing the roadsides it's one of my guys.

ksss
08-17-2008, 10:22 PM
The 9020B runs good. It only has a mere 8500 hours on it. She's a money maker.

coopers
08-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Phil, great pics! I like seeing pics, the more the better. What do you find to be a good mix for topsoil? I know there's a ton of ways to mix, 3 way, 2 way etc. etc. What do you use for compost?

ksss
08-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Haha. Leave the poor kid alone, KSSS. He's just "curious."

And Phil I'm jokin around about the whole work stealin thing.

I'm based out of East Haven so I know your area pretty well.
If you ever see a blue Ford 6610 with a Tiger over the rail mower running around North Haven mowing the roadsides it's one of my guys.

Well I would hate for the young lad to lose his eye sight at the tender age of 14. That, and I am sure his ma is wondering who the hell is eating the other "sock".

CAT powered
08-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Lol. The dryer doesnt eat socks.

bobcat_ron
08-17-2008, 10:45 PM

So that must be Power Tan Porno for you then?

ksss
08-17-2008, 10:57 PM
So that must be Power Tan Porno for you then?

Oh yea, thats what I am talkin about.:drinkup:

SLSNursery
08-18-2008, 10:30 AM
You guys said you like pictures, and I like Power Tan, so here is another one. This is the Outback mulch we make. This is the regrind procedure. It makes a nice $20 mulch product for general use.

CAT powered
08-18-2008, 12:03 PM
I might have to get some of that mulch you're makin there, Phil.

Were you at the Petrowsky sale Friday? There was some pretty decent stuff going for pretty cheap.

SLSNursery
08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Coopers - we wing it. Basically the mix depends upon how wet the ingredients are and how well they go throught the machine. It usually ends up more composty than soil at times, but I have been bringing in some heavier soil, pre-screened to 1"minus through a slotted screen. Then I mix it up in the hopper of the screener until the color is right. The compost is mostly leaves, 2 years old.

Cat - I haven't gone to any auctions lately, but I could have used a couple of roll off cans. It's tough to get away for that long. Fortunately we've been pretty busy. If you are in the area come down and check out the mulch. We have a regular re-wholesale yard, so we are here all of the time. Also - do you have a steady supply of material on the shoreline? Sometimes I need to make referrals or have closer spots with reliable stuff.

CAT powered
08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
You didn't really miss anything on the can side of the sale. There were 8 almost-new 30 yard open-tops, but one guy that was sitting behind me kept buying them ONE at a time for not 200$ difference and they were selling them choice&privilege. They had a few brand new cans on site, but they actually went for more than you pay at a dumpster "dealership."

I'm actually ordering 5 brand new cans from the same manufacturer and I can get them in whatever color I want for 400 bucks cheaper than what they sold for at auction.
If you were in need of a rolloff truck they had literally 3 dozen. Yes. I counted. A lot of them were from All-Waste and there were several from Dainty Rubbish since they got bought out.

CAT powered
08-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Dangit. I hate not having any edit feature. If by material you're referring to topsoil I get all my topsoil off jobs I do. I haven't had to buy any topsoil yet.

SLSNursery
08-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Cat - I was referring to whether or not you sell it at a site. I passed on a job in Guilford that needed 300 yards of soil because I didn't want to deal with I95. Sometimes I have customers out that way doing work and it would be good to make a referral or have somewhere to get it if I am out that way.

CAT powered
08-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I am currently struggling to get enough material to cover my current buyer so unless I can pull a rabbit out of the hat I don't have enough material to cover anything else.

I don't currently sell anything to non-government people. My contract is with the town of Wallingford. It's like 7500 or 8000 yards of screened topsoil over the course of I believe 2 years.

coopers
08-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Coopers - we wing it. Basically the mix depends upon how wet the ingredients are and how well they go throught the machine. It usually ends up more composty than soil at times, but I have been bringing in some heavier soil, pre-screened to 1"minus through a slotted screen. Then I mix it up in the hopper of the screener until the color is right. The compost is mostly leaves, 2 years old..

SLS,

Okay great. Thanks for the info. I'm just getting ideas in my head and seeing what others do etc. I've seen some people with very black compost and topsoil and that always makes my mouth water. :dancing: Do you use the trackhoe and backhoes on jobs or they strictly yard machines?

SLSNursery
08-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Coopers - the excavators usually only leave the yard for special projects 1 or 2 x per year. We have a few backhoes, a mini and a couple of skidsteers that are always out on jobs. The trick with the soil is to make sure it is what your customers want. We sometimes find out that customers went elsewhere to buy soil because it was cheap. Now we keep the 1" minus in stock to compete with others, who often times are selling straight subsoil screened out. We sell that as contractors grade for about $20/yd, compared to $24/yd for premium. Most customers choose the premium grade with the compost.

Here is a picture of primary grind - Before - it is just some brush. After - its ground down to 6" minus and piled up waiting to be ground again.

coopers
08-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Phil,

Ok, that would make sense. Amazing you can just sell soil right from underneath you when it's screened. I figured most like the soil with the compost mix. What's the deal with the chippings after its second grinding? The place I used to work for would do something a tad similar. They would take in compost matter, grind it up, add more, grind it up (mow it with a large tractor) and keep adding letting it compost etc. Then after some time, my boss would pick away at it and add it to soil I think. Made it more black. He used aged horse manure and a little tiny bit of screened topsoil I think to make his compost. It turned out nice, however the manure can be irritating to some neighbors. Do you know how long "aged" horse manure is? There seems to be a lot of different ways to make soil and compost.

I love the pics! Thanks for sharing, always feel free to share more. :) That 160 is quite nice, good find....KSSS??? I think you'll agree.

ksss
08-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Phil,

Ok, that would make sense. Amazing you can just sell soil right from underneath you when it's screened. I figured most like the soil with the compost mix. What's the deal with the chippings after its second grinding? The place I used to work for would do something a tad similar. They would take in compost matter, grind it up, add more, grind it up (mow it with a large tractor) and keep adding letting it compost etc. Then after some time, my boss would pick away at it and add it to soil I think. Made it more black. He used aged horse manure and a little tiny bit of screened topsoil I think to make his compost. It turned out nice, however the manure can be irritating to some neighbors. Do you know how long "aged" horse manure is? There seems to be a lot of different ways to make soil and compost.

I love the pics! Thanks for sharing, always feel free to share more. :) That 160 is quite nice, good find....KSSS??? I think you'll agree.

ooh yea I am jealous. I will have me one those (after this slow down is over). SLS what do you make of the plastic orange safety lever on your CX? Scag here about comes out of his skin because that the lever is plastic and not metal. Any issues? Have you ever broke one? Do you care?

SLSNursery
08-19-2008, 11:12 PM
A. The plastic lever is neither here nor there. It works, and it is the operator's responsibility. It is pretty easy to adjust to, and in my opinon better than lifting up the entire arm which essentially wears out the mini shock and ends up not working. The mini (cx 36) has a more substantial lever believe it or not!

B. How about.....you need to own a few before you say too much.......This would be like a new game. I find, even at my place, that most of the folks with comments haven't logged several hundred or thousand hours on any particular machine, but always feel free to comment on the perceived misconceptions or possible shortcomings. Truth be told, I am also a Ford Truck owner. So...Pile on if you will!!!

Coopers- no horse manure for me - lots of weeds from past experience. If I could get it and heat it up for a couple of years maybe....

Scag48
08-19-2008, 11:53 PM
You guys and your cheap plastic mailbox flags. Even the Komatsu hoe I was running today has a metal hyraulic disconnect lever.

Truth be told, you'd be hard pressed to break that thing off if you're just an owner/operator. It's just the principal of making a plastic lever that irritates me most. I mean really, plastic, seriously. I could see myself being in a hurry bailing out of the hoe and while in the process of lowing it, I snap the little baby lever right off. I know, take care of the equipment, but when your foreman is on your ass about getting the trucks rolling, things get busy quick. That's about the only way I could see breaking the thing.

Had a few moments like that today, good 'ol Komatsu delivered with a steel lever that is practically unbreakable.

bobcat_ron
08-20-2008, 09:36 AM
The reason they are made out of plastic in the event you need to get out of the cab, the disconnect lever will just bend out of the way as you pass through the side of the cab. When your adrenaline is pumping, some people forget the little things and just go, so the handle was made from plastic to avoid any law suits.

Digdug
08-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Nice Case equipment SLS! I am a Case fan also. Did you get a decent deal on the 160? I'd like to find one priced right. doug

coopers
08-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Here's a nice pic I found on the net of compost screening...nice and black!