PDA

View Full Version : T3000 w/truck & carrier rack

americanlawn
08-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Over 30 bags of fert in the back of a pickup truck, liquid herbicide in the Tuflex tank, dual receiver carrier rack, and a T3000 spreader/sprayer allows one person to accurately treat over 500,000 sq ft in one day.

Our T3000 runs just over 5 mph in forward as well as reverse. Spread & spray patterns are perfectly even. Spread width & spray width up to over 12 feet. We've treated lawns as small as 3000 sq ft. Largest property treated in one day was 17 acres.

No need to ask how well we like it, cuz you probably already know.

I told you guys I'd post a pic........better late than never. :laugh: :usflag::canadaflag:

phasthound
08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Nice set up!!!

PHS
08-13-2008, 09:00 PM
OMG, that thing's silly...A steering wheel, are you crazy? What is this, Charlie Brown goes spraying???? I can drag hose faster than that thing!!!!:):):):):):).

That's a sweet set-up. If you load up the back with fert and the tank full of water I bet you're ridin' pretty low. You can get a lot work done though.

philk17088
08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
30 bags of fert, full spraytank and the marvel mystery machine all on a pickup?
It would seem to be a wee bit overweight.

heritage
08-13-2008, 09:34 PM

Yes it would, but Highly doubt anyone would do both. Mabey 75 Gallons and the fert and Ride-on.

Pete

heritage
08-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Over 30 bags of fert in the back of a pickup truck, liquid herbicide in the Tuflex tank, dual receiver carrier rack, and a T3000 spreader/sprayer allows one person to accurately treat over 500,000 sq ft in one day.

Our T3000 runs just over 5 mph in forward as well as reverse. Spread & spray patterns are perfectly even. Spread width & spray width up to over 12 feet. We've treated lawns as small as 3000 sq ft. Largest property treated in one day was 17 acres.

No need to ask how well we like it, cuz you probably already know.

I told you guys I'd post a pic........better late than never. :laugh: :usflag::canadaflag:

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am actually envious.....This is RARE.

Enjoy American!

Pete

DUSTYCEDAR
08-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Action Pics Come On Already:)

americanlawn
08-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks guys. Once in a while I have gone through up to 225 gallons of herbicide, but that's weedy lawns. Average herbicide use = about 75 gallons per day or less. I typically try to carry 100 to 125 gallons per day to make sure I don't run out. Spraying about 1/4 to 1/3 gallons per 1000 sq ft. Weed kill is excellent. Fert coverage too.

This GMC truck is a 2500, not a 2500HD. She rides low in the morning, but she rides high in the afternoon. Our next T3000 will be hauled (on a carrier rack) on a 2500HD.

As you can see in this pic, it's no wonder that we have run this T3000 on 45 degree hills. (going up a 48 degree slope was the steepest, but we don't recommend it -- make sure the hopper & tanks are full to acheive this task).

Like my pimp hat? (I don't get fried that way). :laugh::usflag:

p.s. the goofy guy in the pic ain't me....:laugh::laugh:

grassguy_
08-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Enjoy American! looks like a great setup!

NattyLawn
08-13-2008, 10:59 PM
That thing looks badass, but I don't think I have enough large accounts to use it on. You said as small as 3k, but that thing looks like a boat.

5 mph in reverse? I think the PG does .5.

rcreech
08-13-2008, 11:38 PM

Its not at all for a 2500 or 2500HD.

I carry 120 gallon of H20, and atleast 30 bags of fert and sometimes more with my PG on the back. I leave the house almost everyday with enough product to do between 10-12 acres.

Truck drops a little but not much. I am going to get some of those rubber deals as I think they go betwen the frame and spring or something like that but I am not a mechanic. My buddy has them on his truck for the winter when spreading salt and he said that keeps it from sagging all together.

Jason Rose
08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Well, as much as I laughed at the steering wheel, I just kinda thought how tiresome it can be running a permagreen and fighting the handles, especially when making tight turns when it's loaded... I'm betting that the amount of upper body abuse with this new machine is a LOT less.

I like that the liquid tank is lower to the ground... The PG does make me nervous when it's full because it's rather top heavy that way.

I DO like the fold down handles on a PG though, the ability to jump off and walk behind to get under trees is a GREAT and very well engineered feature of the PG. Also, of course this can be utilized for slopes and climbing hills... I'm guessing the turfco model might be a little harder to work under trees. Looks like it wont have many traction problems though.

philk17088
08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
I meant legally
30 bags= 1500lbs
200gal=1600lbs
spreader/rack 700lbs

Don't get caught.

americanlawn
08-13-2008, 11:45 PM
Mason (just posted) is my right-hand guy who operates our T3000. He has treated lawns as small as 3000 sq ft, but those were "front & sides only'. (easy & wide open). We have enough accounts to warrant another ride-on. That's why we are buying another T3000 instead of any competitors's unit. We've tried many other ride-ons, but none offer the safety, production, ease of use, reliability, safety, etc. I don't mean to offend other sprayer/spreader manufacturers cuz I know you offer fine products.

Bottom line ---- we're buying another TURFCO T3000 instead of anything else. We have over 3000 accounts, and they all rely on us to provide accurate applications.

I can show pics, more pics, & more pics, but until you run a T3000, you will never know it's capabilities. (sorry PG & zspray)

Victor
08-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Great pics Larry! I'm looking forward to demoing one tomorrow at the "OLCA Turf Field Day" tomorrow. I know RC will be there, I'm hoping to see Mark (Grass Guy) there too. I'm sure there will be a lot more feedback on the T3000 here on Lawnsite tomorrow night after we all have a chance to run it. If I love it, or hate it, you'll find out tomorrow night.

rcreech
08-13-2008, 11:54 PM
I meant legally
30 bags= 1500lbs
200gal=1600lbs
spreader/rack 700lbs

Don't get caught.

Ahhhh! Good point!

I guess I don't worry about that...as I am not even sure what a GVWR even in on a 2500HD.

Does anyone know?

I am almost 100% sure that the cops are not going to pull me over in these little "one stop light towns"...plus if they do, I will probably know them anyways! :laugh:

I am sure that every hillbilly here cutting wood is carrying more weight in their trucks then I am! I have seen trucks standing up like a rocket ready to take off and almost dragging the ground! I don't think it would be an issue, atleast here anyway.

rcreech
08-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Great pics Larry! I'm looking forward to demoing one tomorrow at the "OLCA Turf Field Day" tomorrow. I know RC will be there, I'm hoping to see Mark (Grass Guy) there too. I'm sure there will be a lot more feedback on the T3000 here on Lawnsite tomorrow night after we all have a chance to run it. If I love it, or hate it, you'll find out tomorrow night.

Heck yea! See ya there tomorrow!

I think you will really like it! It is a SWEET rig!

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
08-14-2008, 12:23 AM
My '07 2500HD GVW is 9,200#-But it's been modified when I had plow installed-(Stock GVW is a little less) We have DOT State troopers around here that would pull you over in an instant for that! They seem to love to harass lawn care companies! If you have combined weight of 10,001# or more truck & trailer, you'de better have DOT numbers, physical, fire extinguisher, etc., no overloading, everything secured, or you'll get pulled over & slapped with fines:cry: (This while the 18 wheelers go by hauling steel coils that arn't properly tied down:hammerhead:)

kbrashears
08-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Those of you that are putting that much weight toward the back could really use this advice:

Get yourself an on-board air compressor and airbags on that rear axle.

Grandview
08-14-2008, 08:12 AM
My thought is who wants to load and unload 30 bags of fertilizers from a truck.
I pull a twelve foot trailer for my Permagreen Magnum. Loading/unloading the machine from a trailer has to be easier, safer, and quicker than using that rack. Pulling a trailer has never been a issue for me or my employees. As far as production, 500,000 would be an average to easy day for my Magnum, A cake walk for the Z-Max.

Real Green
08-14-2008, 08:20 AM

Victor, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you like it! Ask Rodney what happened in Minnesota when we raced the T3000 and Permagreen... he took the PG of course and definitely ducked out early in the race before going down on a huge hill! :laugh: Hope you guys have a great day!

Victor
08-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I got the chance to take a really good look at this machine and here are my observations. To me, the machine looks a lot more substantial in person, than it does in the pictures I've seen of it on Lawnsite. From looking at it in the pictures Larry posted, I thought it looked kind of flimsy, but after looking at it in person, I walked away from it impressed. The impression I got from carefully looking at it from every side (including it's underside) was that this thing is built to last. Almost everything about the machine seems like it's been well thought out. The only thing about the machine that I didn't like was the attachment method used to hold the carrying tray (that you can load 2 bags of fertilizer into on top of the machine) onto the frame of the machine. There are two knobs that you have to unscrew to attach, or detach the tub, that are in my opinion awkward to use. That was the only thing about the machine that I didn't like. After telling "Turfco Tim" my opinion on those darn knobs, he told me that they're going to replace those knobs with rubber hold-down's.

Now... Onto the demo. I wasn't really sure how much I'd like using the steering wheel on the machine, instead of sticks like Z's have, or handlebars that Permas employ. I'm not going to say that in the short time I spent using it, I was totally comfortable with the steering wheel, but I do think that I'd grow to really love using it. Before operating the machine, I thought it would be clumsy to use because of the steering wheel. I was envisioning having to crank that steering wheel over time and again to get that thing to turn, but that concern turned out to be totally unfounded. The steering wheel on that thing was really responsive. It seemed like it only took a half turn on the steering wheel to turn that thing around sharply and get it heading back the way I came from. Is it a true zero-turn? No. It did turn very sharply though. Even though I treat really small lawns, I don't the turning radius of that machine ever being an issue with me.

During my demo, I used it to transverse a hill and could see why Bob sings the praises of this machines ability to hold hills. It felt really stable and gave me a lot of confidence. Before I'd pull the trigger and buy one of these machines, I'd have to use one of them for a couple of days on my lawns of course. I wouldn't know for sure how well a T3000 would work for me, unless I did that, but so far, so good.

After my demo, when I was trying to decide how much I really liked the machine, I had to admit that I was really impressed. Everything I said in this post is just my opinion obviously and while I really liked the machine, that obviously doesn't mean there won't be people out there who demo one and become detractors.

From what I saw of it today Bob, you did a really good job with this machine. The only hang-up I see people having with it, is the unit's price. I think the $8495 price of this machine will ruffle more than a couple feathers unfortunately. I really hope it doesn't, but I'm almost certain it will.

grassguy_
08-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey Vic,
Glad to see you at the seminar again, sorry though didnt get muc time to chat! I agree i was much more impressed with the machine than from seeing it here in pics. I too think the tub section seemed abit awkward where it was, but it does serve the purpose intended. I didnt get a chance to do any spraying with it, and that would be a major concern i would have. But overall, Bob courtesy of Tim have a nice machine.

americanlawn
08-14-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet Bob from TURFCO. Swell guy.

As far as ducking under low tree branches, the T3000 is a little taller than the Permagreen (when handles are down), but you can hop off the T3000 & walk behind it if you want. Yet this is rarely necessary cuz the spray/spread width is 12 - 13 feet.

Mason said it took him two days to get comfortable with the steering/operation of it, but now he says the majority of the time he uses just one finger while treating the wide open areas of lawns. (We played Frisbie last month -- he was treating my lawn while we threw the Frisbie back & forth.....not recommended on customers' properties).

The carrier tray is nice, but Vic's right. Those knobs suck, and the threads corrode. It's an easy fix, and TURFCO is addressing it. Other than that, I truly believe that all the "bugs" have been worked out.

We don't have many lawns over 200,000 sq ft (if we did, we would consider a Z-Max). Currently we're sold on TURFCO's unit.......5.2 mph, hydrostatic tranny (easy to shift with one finger), 12 foot pattern, easy on the body so you don't get worn out, takes bumps better, handles steep hills safely, no breakdowns, built to last. My oppinion only.

rcreech
08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Victor, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you like it! Ask Rodney what happened in Minnesota when we raced the T3000 and Permagreen... he took the PG of course and definitely ducked out early in the race before going down on a huge hill! :laugh: Hope you guys have a great day!

:laugh:

I forgot about that!

That was a good test definitly!

I am a big PG man....but would definitly take the T-3000 on hills anyday.

I seen the machine today and thought....why don't I have one of these things yet? If I didn't have all my money in fert...there would be one on the back of my truck right now. :cry:

americanlawn
08-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey RC -- you operated the T3000 like a real pro in Mpls (so did others), but you were smart NOT following the T3000 down the hill.

I'm getting fert prices now, and they are scary. UAP says farmers are prepaying (for their fall app) just to make sure they actually get fert.

I'm checking four fert sources right now. So far, I'm seeing $19 to $25 per bag depending. (34% to 46% N). And that's several semi loads per order. I'll never post sources or exact price, cuz that's confidential info between the vender & us.

Hope to see you again, and I'd really like to meet Vic. Your A-Team bud, Larry. :waving:

rcreech
08-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Hey RC -- you operated the T3000 like a real pro in Mpls (so did others), but you were smart NOT following the T3000 down the hill.

I'm getting fert prices now, and they are scary. UAP says farmers are prepaying (for their fall app) just to make sure they actually get fert.

I'm checking four fert sources right now. So far, I'm seeing $19 to $25 per bag depending. (34% to 46% N). And that's several semi loads per order. I'll never post sources or exact price, cuz that's confidential info between the vender & us.

Hope to see you again, and I'd really like to meet Vic. Your A-Team bud, Larry. :waving:

Yea, not only are we prepaying...but they are making us sign contracts now with all kinds of requirements! I now have my 08 fert (current crop), 09 fert prepayed and all my lawn fert bought ahead.

It is getting nuts...and I can honestly say I am not even enjoying it anymore! :cry: Why do we have to prepay everything and lock in prices so far ahead? Not only does it tie up all your money, but there is some risk not to mention....insurance and interest!

I stopped in a Lesco today on my way home from the OTF to get 4 bags of 32% fert with Fe (wanted to juice up the football field for the first home game :weightlifter:) and it was $27 something a bag!

Needless to say I walked out without it!

There is no way that anyone can pay this...and make money! Fert costs are going to be $80-90/ac alone at that rate!

I know one thing....I am FERTILIZER POOR right now!

whoopassonthebluegrass
08-15-2008, 01:31 AM
I am sure that every hillbilly here cutting wood is carrying more weight in their trucks then I am! I have seen trucks standing up like a rocket ready to take off and almost dragging the ground!

I don't think I'm too far from that scenario myself! :laugh: I've got a '98 Chevy 1500 short bed that I bought 3,500# add on's for - b/c when I'm loaded I have nearly two tons in the bed + my mowing trailer on certain days with a grass box on the tongue that ways about a bajillion pounds. It's so heavy that it's too close to the ground to even get the swing jack to stand!

Oh well, at least our profit margins keep getting better. :hammerhead: I'll have that $50k diesel in no time. :cry:

FERT-TEK
08-18-2008, 11:02 PM
American, you have been running that machine for a while. Does it have any agitation built into it. Have you tried to use any WP's through it (fungicides, Drive, Merit WP etc.) Will the pumps handle WP's?

Real Green
08-19-2008, 07:59 AM
American, you have been running that machine for a while. Does it have any agitation built into it. Have you tried to use any WP's through it (fungicides, Drive, Merit WP etc.) Will the pumps handle WP's?

Fert-Tek,

As far as our machine goes we have over 170 hours on it. It does have agitation on each side. We did spray crosscheck in it (now called Bifen). It did just fine, however I do recommend a good flushing once you are done. Hope this helps.

FERT-TEK
08-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Fert-Tek,

As far as our machine goes we have over 170 hours on it. It does have agitation on each side. We did spray crosscheck in it (now called Bifen). It did just fine, however I do recommend a good flushing once you are done. Hope this helps.

Not familiar with those are they wettable powders? Did you get the results you were expecting and did you change tips to spray that product?

robertsturf
08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Crosscheck that I get is not a WP.

americanlawn
08-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Our Crosscheck is a liquid. We've only run liquid herbicides (pre & post) in our T3000.

NOTE #1: We never get off the truck when we fill our T3000. We fil it when it's on the carrier rack (fert bags & liquid herbicide). If we run out, we drive up the ramp & repeat the process. This makes it fast & convenient.

NOTE #2: The truck we carry it with is rated 8600 GVW.....more than enough capacity to legally carry everything we need for a big day. :weightlifter:

I hope this clears this up, and I hope everyone understands why we prefer not pulling a trailer. Our rig is like a PT boat compared to a battleship. Fast, maneuverable, and VERY effective. :usflag::canadaflag: