PDA

View Full Version : HELP warranty issue

mike lane lawn care
08-13-2008, 10:32 PM
hey guys, so as some of you may know i purchased a 2004 GMC 2500HD about 3 months ago, with it i bought a 36/36 extended warranty, asit was just outside of it's factory warranty at 37,000 miles. 5k later at 42,000 i am having to replace both front rotors as well as a left inner tie rod end. now i do nothing but on highway driving, i rarely tow with it. it would seem that an HD truck would have HD parts in it. you would also assume that the dealer would cover the work, but refuses to. it's gonna cost $300 to replace the tie rod end and $150 to do the rotors myself. i did not anticipate having to replace parts this soon, and i simply cannon afford it this week, but i need the truck for a buisness trip(driving 1200 miles across new england) all of next week. the dealer is looking at it tomorrow, but they said they doubt they can do anything for me under warranty. i'm about ready to go to my uncle who is a lawyer, and file a lemon law, law suit on them, i should not having to be replacing these parts this soon.

what do you guys think, as right now i'm stressed.

FIRESCOOBY
08-13-2008, 11:06 PM
hey guys, so as some of you may know i purchased a 2004 GMC 2500HD about 3 months ago, with it i bought a 36/36 extended warranty, asit was just outside of it's factory warranty at 37,000 miles. 5k later at 42,000 i am having to replace both front rotors as well as a left inner tie rod end. now i do nothing but on highway driving, i rarely tow with it. it would seem that an HD truck would have HD parts in it. you would also assume that the dealer would cover the work, but refuses to. it's gonna cost $300 to replace the tie rod end and $150 to do the rotors myself. i did not anticipate having to replace parts this soon, and i simply cannon afford it this week, but i need the truck for a buisness trip(driving 1200 miles across new england) all of next week. the dealer is looking at it tomorrow, but they said they doubt they can do anything for me under warranty. i'm about ready to go to my uncle who is a lawyer, and file a lemon law, law suit on them, i should not having to be replacing these parts this soon.

what do you guys think, as right now i'm stressed.

The tierod's are common for GM's (welcome to Independent Front Suspension). The rotors, that's a wear item that wouldn't be covered under warranty even if you bought it new.

You could try Lemon Law (check your state's laws), but you'll be wasting your time. You can replace the tierod yourself for about 1/3 of the cost and the rotors shouldn't costs quite $150. If there's plenty of metal left, have them turned. Although I replace and don't turn.

mike lane lawn care
08-13-2008, 11:13 PM
The tierod's are common for GM's (welcome to Independent Front Suspension). The rotors, that's a wear item that wouldn't be covered under warranty even if you bought it new.

You could try Lemon Law (check your state's laws), but you'll be wasting your time. You can replace the tierod yourself for about 1/3 of the cost and the rotors shouldn't costs quite $150. If there's plenty of metal left, have them turned. Although I replace and don't turn.

i know the rotors wouldn't be covered, and those i don't mind, as i can do it myself, but the attitude the dealer gave me was insane. and i would do the tie rod end, if i knew how.

mybowtie
08-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Did you check what was covered under the extened warranty before you purchased?? I know I probally wouldnt have looked either, and just assumed.
Is it a GM warranty? If so call them direct...Good luck

TandM
08-13-2008, 11:18 PM
I would not bother with it gm is a pane to deal with it took us a month to get them to pay for a rebuild on or 04 dmax it is too much of a hassle to go to legal action. at least for a tie rod. and rotors

02DURAMAX
08-13-2008, 11:29 PM
None of what you listed is covered in warranty

GravelyNut
08-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Mine had bumper to bumper coverage for 6yrs/60000 miles. That included batteries and tires. Good thing on the tires too as they had to replace a few.

mike lane lawn care
08-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Mine had bumper to bumper coverage for 6yrs/60000 miles. That included batteries and tires. Good thing on the tires too as they had to replace a few.

what do you have? cause that'll be my next purchase.

KS_Grasscutter
08-14-2008, 12:04 AM
You bought the truck USED, right? Thats just a gamble you take buying used stuff. I bought a 89 K1500 the other day under the assumption that "everything works", but I need to put $400 or better into the 4x4 on it, and I need to have the AC converted. Got a good deal though, so I am not gonna *****.

mike lane lawn care
08-14-2008, 12:08 AM
You bought the truck USED, right? Thats just a gamble you take buying used stuff. I bought a 89 K1500 the other day under the assumption that "everything works", but I need to put $400 or better into the 4x4 on it, and I need to have the AC converted. Got a good deal though, so I am not gonna *****.

yea, but an 89 is different than a newer certified dealer bought vehicle with a warranty. i got a good deal, but not good enough to put up with this thing breaking on me. i used my 99 1500 like it was an ATV, wheeled it, towed 3 times it's rating, and never maintained it, and it had 144k on it before a rotor and tie rod went.

Petr51488
08-14-2008, 12:40 AM
yea, but an 89 is different than a newer certified dealer bought vehicle with a warranty. i got a good deal, but not good enough to put up with this thing breaking on me. i used my 99 1500 like it was an ATV, wheeled it, towed 3 times it's rating, and never maintained it, and it had 144k on it before a rotor and tie rod went.

For all you know, the guy that had the truck before you could have towed the hell out of the ruck and also towed 3x its rating. Thats just the risk you take with buying used. Thats one of the main reasons why i dont buy used. You NEVER know how it was used before you. Your dealer shouldn't do it for free, sorry.

TXNSLighting
08-14-2008, 01:23 AM

ya know thats just part of it, i hate to say but it is. Since i bought mine (8 months ago) its been in the shop 7 times. thats about once a month. its the biggest hassle in the world. majority hs been fronend problems (thank you IFS) the first time it was in the shop was 4 days after i bought it, and it hasnt stopped.

I decided to have the vin number pulled to see the service history, and sure enough, the previous owner was having similar problems. He had to take it to the shop 7 times in the 7 months he owned it. So yeh thats 14 times in the shop for this truck. And its been an average of 4 days in there for me. So 56 days of this trucks life has been in the GM service department. I guess thats why he traded so early. Thats just the risk you take when you buy used.

Wow thats post turned out long... sorry:dizzy:

mag360
08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
You can probably drive on those rotors for your trip, if you want. (how bad are they?)
Tie rod end should be replaced or it will wear the front tires (and for safety).
I doubt the rotors would be covered under any warrantee because you can warp them in a day with poor braking (I'm guessing they were like this when you bought the truck but it would be impossible to prove).

mike lane lawn care
08-14-2008, 11:11 PM
You can probably drive on those rotors for your trip, if you want. (how bad are they?)
Tie rod end should be replaced or it will wear the front tires (and for safety).
I doubt the rotors would be covered under any warrantee because you can warp them in a day with poor braking (I'm guessing they were like this when you bought the truck but it would be impossible to prove).

after a long debacle with the dealer i got them to warranty the tie rod ends. i purchased new rotors for $100 for both, and will install this saturday. it did it since i got it, but the dealer didn't feel it during a road test. they ae not that bad, and unless you apply heavy braking power, or brake above 55mph, you can't feel it. hopefully when i get back next weekend, my toyota corolla will be finished(fuel lines rusted out) and i can use that for traveling and leave the truck home.