PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advise...

bj1125
08-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I've been doing residential blowouts/winterization for a few years now. I've always rented compressors - this year I purchased a used one and want to expand operations. I'm looking at some commercial properties and do not know how to bid them. Any advise on bidding commercial properties? Thanks in advance.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-13-2008, 09:52 PM
hourly if they are real big..

other wise up north here we do it 12 $ a zone 75 $ for 6 zones and under...

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-14-2008, 05:42 AM
OMG Blowout season is about to start. This is one of the best times of the year for us sharp witted southern boys.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-14-2008, 06:21 AM
OMG Blowout season is about to start. This is one of the best times of the year for us sharp witted southern boys.

we are about 1 month away brotha.

jerryrwm
08-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Got my first call yesterday requesting a blow-out on Sept 19th. Guess he's one of the snowbirds flying South for the winter. Hell, I've got a couple clients that haven't even turned their systems on this year!

Wet_Boots
08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Got my first call yesterday requesting a blow-out on Sept 19th. Guess he's one of the snowbirds flying South for the winter. Hell, I've got a couple clients that haven't even turned their systems on this year!Stoopid clients. We need that winterizing money.

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 01:10 PM
I had one call Monday as well. "Just want to get on the list". I have one scheduled for Sept. 15th already. Doubt I will pull the compressor for just the one. Maybe we'll just make sure it is drained and go back to b/o later.

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I had one call Monday as well. "Just want to get on the list". I have one scheduled for Sept. 15th already. Doubt I will pull the compressor for just the one. Maybe we'll just make sure it is drained and go back to b/o later.

We've gone thru October with our systems at 75%. How late do you usually run?

irritation
08-15-2008, 04:18 PM

You guys don't even need to blow out, just drain the backflows or anything above ground. :rolleyes:

The day before Thanksgiving is always my target to be finished.

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 04:24 PM
You guys don't even need to blow out, just drain the backflows or anything above ground. :rolleyes:.

What, and miss all the Christmas money? It's a good time to look for leaks
with the air on and cheap insurance if we do have a hard freeze, which
happens every few years & then all our SAM heads turn to popsicles.

irritation
08-15-2008, 04:29 PM
You're almost as bad as Fimco. He likes to rip off the elderly. :laugh:

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Lie, cheat, steal, that's us sprinkler guys. I have found hairline cracks that
no one noticed until the air bubbles rose to the surface, also split heads and collars.

irritation
08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
subsurface irrigation can be very efficient but I don't see how you can miss split heads and "collars".

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 04:58 PM
subsurface irrigation can be very efficient but I don't see how you can miss split heads and "collars".
The lawn crews are infamous for hitting stuff & not calling. Some of my guys
did not inspect too well either.

irritation
08-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Some of my guys
did not inspect too well either.

That is a shame. :confused:

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 08:22 PM

I too also try to finish around Thanksgiving. But weather permitting we'll do another run a little into December if we get enough lined up to make it worth it.

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 08:26 PM
We put it off one year 'cause we were still installing; got a freeze & snow in early December.

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 09:01 PM
We put it off one year 'cause we were still installing; got a freeze & snow in early December.

Well we got a massive blizzard Oct. 15, 1997 that shut down the city. No way everything would have been taken care of before that. Things happen. Good thing was, that was the year I was out of irrigation!! So no major headaches for me that year :) (irrigation wise anyhow)

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Good thing was, that was the year I was out of irrigation!!

Was that the year you were a rep?

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Not rip off, upgrade:)

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Was that the year you were a rep?

Never a rep. I was looking at getting out of the industry altogether due to my body hurting all the time. hands and knuckles especially. I think us poly guys get this more than PVC guys. But nothing else really took off or made me any money. So I decided to get back into the biz doing things differently and doing it my way. March of '98 I got back into it. So I was out from Dec. '96 to March '98.

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Not rip off, upgrade:)

Upgrade the elderly? is that with new knees, hips, and other body parts? :laugh:

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 10:09 PM
So I was out from Dec. '96 to March '98.

Teaching Tony how to sell cars?

Tom Tom
08-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Dana, we gotta get Tony out on the golf course and pick his brain about selling..........

Tony, where you wanna play?

DanaMac
08-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Dana, we gotta get Tony out on the golf course and pick his brain about selling..........

Honestly, even if I was good at it I wouldn't WANT to do it. But it is a necessary evil for the business. And yes, we should get him out of his stealership... err dealership, I meant dealership!!

Tom Tom
08-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Honestly, even if I was good at it I wouldn't WANT to do it. But it is a necessary evil for the business. And yes, we should get him out of his stealership... err dealership, I meant dealership!!

I don't mind it too much.

Upselling to an ET based controller has worked pretty well- if only Ewing could get them in