PDA

View Full Version : Chimney veneer ?

shovelracer
08-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Im rebuilding the chimney at my house since the stucco was pealing. I stripped it down to the bare block and am ready for the scratch coat. The chimney now has a liner so moisture shouldnt be a problem anymore. I have 2 pallets of thin stone I pulled off an old job a few years ago and Id like to veneer with it above the roof line. Ive done some stucco repairs and wet stone walks, but never laid a vertical veneer. Its my house so Im willing to deal with the learning curve. The chimney is strong and the footer extends 6" around and it is secured to the house all 9 feet above the footer. House is masonry also.

Ive found conflicting info on the proper technique for this. Already I figure on adding ties to the block. The problem is some say to go from the footer regardless of product and weight. Others say that no additional support is needed for thin stone since the weight is low. I figure average weight of the stone and mortar will be 20-30 lbs per square. Can I just go above the roof line, about 9 feet or do I need to go from the footer. If I go from the footer do I need to extend it? Is there anything else Im missing here? Any suggestions or leads to more info would be great thanks.

shovelracer
08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Footing is in a non frost area, under a sun room. Anybody?

crab
08-14-2008, 09:50 PM
block runs to the basement ,no basement?as far as load goes you should be fine,when you say thin i assume you mean a inch or less,brick ties are a good idea though.

shovelracer
08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
block runs outside the basement wall and was once outside, then a 3 season porch in 70's was built around it. Now it is and enclosed mud/laundry room. The footing remains above freezing and dry now. Good and thick from what I saw when I exposed it. Yes stones are in the 3/4-1" range. I would like to do the mud room as well. This only leaves the 2 feet below the mud room and the 2 feet between ceiling and roof. What is the "right" thing to do?

crab
08-14-2008, 11:21 PM
without seeing it its hard to say ,if you had said below freezing i would feel better,but i assume it stays warm enough not to move to much?if that is the case you are good to go,i am not sure were your starting point is,if you don't start from the bottom you will have problems,you do not have to veneer all the way ,just yous block to support what you cant see.always start from the bottom up.sounds simple but its true.as far as the space between the ceiling and roof not a problem,just run through and make sure there that water cant get in.also with a veneer this thin remember type n is you're glue.

Captains Landscape
08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Thin veneer that size does not require any load bearing shelf (footer). Starting from the top will keep your work cleaner from any mortar spills. But you can do either. I would do the corners, then fill in from the top down.

shovelracer
08-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Interesting approach, but I like the idea. I would have gone bottom up while doing the corners ahead. Thanks for the input guys.