PDA

View Full Version : drainage question

loupiscopolandscaping
08-14-2008, 08:46 AM
hey guys im looking for the proper technic for this job i have to bid on. we r installing a 380 sq paver walkway. the one part of the walkway is the lowest part of the yard and the soil is graded to this area. the street and every other part of the yard is higher than this area. im thinking on making a large 4x4x4 dry well system here that has 2 gutter downspouts connected into the system. installing a 1/2 hp submesible pump 2ft from the bottom of the system and connecting the pvc line with a check valve. the rise to the street is 2 ft and the run is 60 ft. right infront of the check valve i wanna drill a hole and wrap it in weed fabric with a mini gravel pit there so no water is in the line. how do this sound? is there a website that can help me on this?

forestfireguy
08-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Not having seen it, its hard to give you all the possible fixes for this, your idea sounds pretty good, but isn't very serviceable. What happens if the pump craps out, from what you say sounds like it'll run quite a bit. Maybe fix the grade ? If thats not practical what about setting a 12x12 or so drain box with the pump and float set up, like a sump pump system, you'll get the same performance but leave them a reasonable way to service it, pop the cover and change it out, if you bury it under 4 ft of gravel, changing it will be messy and expensive. The obvious benefit to your idea is the gravel will give you a way to let the pump "keep up" if there is alot of water. So I didnt mean to throw a wrench in your plan just trying to be forward thinking......I guess the biggest challenge in my idea is getting the right size/gph pump to keep up with possible input to the drain.

loupiscopolandscaping
08-14-2008, 09:42 AM
yeah theres a few methods to this.... the total lot is 100x100 and this is about 12 ft from thier pool. i wish i cold change the grade but i cant. thank you

LB1234
08-14-2008, 08:54 PM
never done any work in brick but I'm willing to bet your idea will never get past the township zoning/building code. As the other poster said how do you gain access to the pump when it craps out or needs to be cleaned etc.?

How about installed a channel grate at the end of the walk for surface water and daylighting around the back/side of the house. As for the gutters you could probablly do drywells for those (also look into flo-wells by NDS). Or you can run those leads on top/bottom of the surface water runoff for your walkway.