PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please!

hollywood276
08-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Just wanting to get advice from someone who knew the biz. I am wanting to start my own lawn biz. Only plans are to start is just mowing. I have the opprituity to do this on my days off. I am a career fireman and we only work 10 days a month. So wanting to do something to keep me busy on my days off and I want to work for my self. I have been wanting to buy a commercial scag mower for some time and just couldn't justify it. But by mowing I can justify it. I plan to work alone and have one trailer one weedeater one mower and blower, etc. I plan to try to come up with 10-15 lawns of medium size. No small city lawns. I live in the country. I can get every thing I need brand new for $10,000. With hopes to try and pay off in one season. I will be putting everything I make twords that sum. Wanting to start next mowing season. I am very peticular on my work. Quality will not be an issue. Is this a crazy idea or should I give it a try. Any advice or comments, suggestions are welcome pleas. Thanks Hollywood276

hockeypro1411
08-14-2008, 01:35 PM
lots of people here are firemen and mow. not too crazy of an idea, but make sure you're going to follow through with it so you dont end up with a bunch of commercial equipment that sits there and collects dust. so long as your work schedule permits it, id give it a try.

NickWilson
08-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Sounds like a perfect idea. Start small and than see if you really want to do it.

brandtb1
08-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Be Careful on your estimates and make sure you get enough to make it worth your time. I would look for yards this winter and get an idea how many you can get before you get the mower. Take the plunge, you will not regret it.

MileHigh
08-14-2008, 04:20 PM
go for it...nut make sure you get backups on your handhelds...ITS NECESSARY, especially when your edger shaft snaps into two driving down the highway cause your trimmer rack sux...lol

dura to the max
08-14-2008, 04:55 PM
go for it, just not quite the way you are planning. look at some of the "mistake" mowers that others have bought. find a low hour machine that someone cant afford. buy it cheap and save a couple grand. and i would get stihl equipment. 1 trimmer, i km head w/ an edger and trimmer head, and a b/p blower.

tons of FF do this on the side. (see below)

JLAWNCARE
08-14-2008, 05:46 PM
i would not buy any equipment until you see what kind of work you get and would buy used save then buy nre

eastportstar
08-19-2008, 05:29 PM
i did same thing this spring. i cut 17 lawns. i bought someones business (truck, trailer, 36" scag, blower and trimmer) for $8000. came with 10 lawns and i added 7 as the season is going (added a 48" walkbehind) takes me 2 1/2 days by myself. sometimes i'll trim a tree or small hedge. look around, you'll find a good deal out there (craigslist.com, or this site)