PDA

View Full Version : is this to be expected??

dingybigfoot
08-14-2008, 07:37 PM
hey!
I'm new to the biz. this is my first season.
anyways..
i got a call today from a customer that i serviced a month ago. ( about 2500sqft in the back and 16 in the front.
basically a one and done guy. from servicing him last month i figured him out to be a pita. i wanted to get him on a weekly schedule. he wasn't interested. i called him 6 days after i serviced him asking if he would like me to come out. He wasn't interested.
he calls me today askin if i can cut his lawn today. i asked him if its been serviced since i did it. he says no.
we've had alot of rain this season. record breaking summer.
i quote him $80. he starts crying. tells me he'll find someone else
and hangs up. 10 minutes later he's calling me back. i didn't answer. based on my first experience with him a month ago i figured its not worth the stress.
are a lot of potential customers like this??

bigcountry01
08-14-2008, 07:50 PM
You will learn not to fool with people like that. He might be good for a quick buck but i promise you if someone underbid you by $2 he would drop you without question.

ALC-GregH
08-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I would have told him I'd be glad to do it for a additional charge. I'm going to assume the $80 was more then what your weekly would be correct? If so, why didn't you answer the phone? So what if he's a pita, he has money that he's willing to give you to do the job. He was probably going to have you mow it for the price you told him. I wish I could afford to NOT answer the phone, even if it's a pita customer.

My advice, call him back and get the job. If you don't someone else will.

Charles
08-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Really depends on how high the grass is and how big the high grass yard is. What type of grass it is. How desperate you are. I would want up front cash money on high grass. If you don't think you could do a good job on it for $80, then don't take it.
These type people generally don't make good long term customers

Roger
08-14-2008, 10:02 PM
Did you make a mistake in the sizes? Don't you mean 25,000 sq ft, and 16,000 sq ft, not 2,500 and 1,600, as you stated? $80 for 4,100 sq ft of turf is way out of line. Or, did I miss something?

Why wasn't the frequency of visits decided before you made the first mowing? Not having a set schedule before you begin work will result in these confrontations.

AndyTblc
08-14-2008, 10:06 PM
did he actually start crying, or just complaining.

Dave_005
08-14-2008, 11:01 PM
theres always the PITA customers, just have to deal with them. i would have just told him i had a full schedule and suggest he try someone else.

nemow
08-14-2008, 11:29 PM
He sounds cheap. I hate people like that. You did the right thing. If everyone operated the way he's thinking, we would mow each of our lawns once per season and charge $3000 for one cut. He is trying to pull one over on you. Its only one cut so he thinks you should charge him for one cut no matter how long it takes or how much grass you pull off of it...some people have no clue. You did the right thing. For the few other over critical responses to this thread...Ease up. Your not helping.

dingybigfoot
08-17-2008, 05:00 PM
I ended up doing the job.
i dont have a bagger so it took me 3 hrs. and the grass was clumping like crazy due to it being wet. but i got $100 outta him and follow ups for the rest of the season after i broke down the logics to him. i also got his neighbour for weekly's. and she wants me to quote her on her commmercial property.

RonB
08-17-2008, 06:06 PM
See dingybigfoot - YOU did the right thing. If new take any job you can get, you'll never know what it'll lead too. This one "bad" job has already paid off.

Go get'em!

nemow
08-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Nicely done!! Im happy it worked out for you. Four years ago I would have done it but now I just dont have the patients to "train" new customers.

howierd3866
08-18-2008, 06:49 PM
just wait till next week

ALC-GregH
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
It's to bad you don't have a bagger for your mower. It would have cut your time in half or even more. It's hard to deal with some people's ignorance but in reality

Let us know how things progress. My guess is, Howie will have to stick his foot in his mouth. LOL :D

Lawnut101
08-19-2008, 12:27 AM
hey!
I'm new to the biz. this is my first season.
anyways..
i got a call today from a customer that i serviced a month ago. ( about 2500sqft in the back and 16 in the front.
basically a one and done guy. from servicing him last month i figured him out to be a pita. i wanted to get him on a weekly schedule. he wasn't interested. i called him 6 days after i serviced him asking if he would like me to come out. He wasn't interested.
he calls me today askin if i can cut his lawn today. i asked him if its been serviced since i did it. he says no.
we've had alot of rain this season. record breaking summer.
i quote him $80. he starts crying. tells me he'll find someone else
and hangs up. 10 minutes later he's calling me back. i didn't answer. based on my first experience with him a month ago i figured its not worth the stress.
are a lot of potential customers like this??

No, not a lot of customers are like this around here. Some have little things here and there, but not like that. I would do one of 2 things: 1. Cut the lawn with cash in hand, just knowing he will be annoying. 2. Call him back and tell him you only offer weekly service and give him a price for that.

If he complains, tell him sorry. Some people are just out there to get you. Not all, but SOME.

I should add, I have a lot of great customers. I don't work for people that your describing anymore. Good luck

howierd3866
08-19-2008, 08:03 AM
hope I'm wrong some of my cooking my foot might taste better good luck