PDA

View Full Version : nutsedge

RSL
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
anyone out there know how to get rid of nutsedge for good used round up killed existing lawn ripped out 1 week later nutsedge coming back sodding it but will grow through sod

bug-guy
08-14-2008, 08:33 PM
sedgehammer, manage. or certainty check labels for usage

americanlawn
08-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Basagran & Compass also works. Need to use spreader/sticker. Mix it strong. Spray it when it's as tall as possible with a fine mist (backpack sprayer or ride-on unit). Then wait 3 or 4 days before mowing or watering. We're seeing more of it this year than ever before. Personally, I'm wondering if a 100% kill is even possible, cuz nutsedge is very resilient and hardy. A banner year for it here.......4 to 6 inch rains, record-breaking rainfall, floods, etc. It's all over the place this year.

robertsturf
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
I have been using Sedgehammer, but I decided to try some Dismiss this week. It works alot quicker but time will tell if it gets the nutlet or not. Persistance is the key.

RSL
08-15-2008, 10:25 PM
sedgehammer, manage. or certainty check labels for usage

tried manage works excellent but im talking for good as in next year this stuff keeps coming back

lilmarvin4064
08-15-2008, 10:36 PM
In case most yall haven't heard. There's a new, updated label for Dismiss. 0.18 oz/1000 on fescue. I got it mixed with Momentum FX2 at 1.5oz/1000. we'll see how well it works (or kills fescue :))

I've heard late apps of sedgehammer don't work well. (haven't used it much)

A golf course super' friend of mine said w/sedgehammer it comes back next year, but not w/ Dismiss.

tlg
08-15-2008, 11:39 PM
anyone out there know how to get rid of nutsedge for good used round up killed existing lawn ripped out 1 week later nutsedge coming back sodding it but will grow through sod

Even though you killed the existing nutsedge that does not mean new plants would not germinate and come through your sod. Your only option is to use a post -emergent like sedgehammer.

RSL
08-17-2008, 08:16 PM
sedgehammer works great but comes back following year

hmartin
08-17-2008, 11:08 PM
If the nutsedge is coming back next year due to an application of sedgehammer this year, you missed plants or waited too late in the year to spray. No matter what you spray or how often you apply, you'll probably still have a least a little nutsedge the following year.

Frank Fescue
08-19-2008, 12:32 AM
I DESTROYED an area of nutsedge in a pretty big development with SEDGEHAMMER and a spreader sticker. took a few days longer than labeled, but i cant argue with the results.

jbrown5
08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Certainty is the best I have found yet for nutsedge. If I really want to wipe it out quickly I use Surge and Certainty together. This is for bermuda and zoysia turf though.

scweedman
08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
What are your mixing rates?

teeca
08-19-2008, 05:57 PM
In case most yall haven't heard. There's a new, updated label for Dismiss. 0.18 oz/1000 on fescue. I got it mixed with Momentum FX2 at 1.5oz/1000. we'll see how well it works (or kills fescue :))

I've heard late apps of sedgehammer don't work well. (haven't used it much)

A golf course super' friend of mine said w/sedgehammer it comes back next year, but not w/ Dismiss.

i used dismiss for the first time 2 weeks ago.. turned it brown in 3days.. thought i had a good product, but alot of it has come back. i treated again today, we'll see what happins this time. (mix rate .18oz K) i have always used manage (or sedge hammer) with a surfactant and had great kills, but for some reason i let the lesco guy talk me into the dismiss, "because ALL the guys are buying it this year''. oh well, it was cheaper. doesn't do sh*t for the clover or the dandies, not sure if there on the lable, but i wasn't going after them anyway.

RSL
08-19-2008, 07:36 PM
How Early Should Sedgehammer Be Applied When First Comes Out?

jbrown5
08-20-2008, 02:24 AM
I use .9 grams, or one scoop, of certainty per 1000ft2 with .75 oz of Surge per 1000ft2. This is during the summer months. When the temps are still in the 70's or 80's I run 1.3 oz of Surge. I use .5 oz of surfactant per 1000ft2 also. The nutsedge is fried in 2 days and completely gone in 10 days. I have still had some regrowth but it has been months later or the following year instead of getting it in a matter of weeks or a month later. I haven't found anything that will kill it all completely but this is the best combo I have found so far.

grassman177
08-23-2008, 07:39 PM
get a goat,!!!!