PDA

View Full Version : Help with wild Violets

Athletic field
08-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Has anyone had luck using Drive on violets. I've used vessel and quick silver with little results. I had a yard over run with clover, ground ivy and Violets. Vessel and QS took out almost all the clover and ground ivy, but not the violets. Would a Drive/Vessel mixture do the trick?

RigglePLC
08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I only did a few spots--but--Drive worked very well on violets. Add some crop oil or surfactant of course.

FCS Services
08-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Speedzone??? - that's what we use

junior091273
08-15-2008, 08:00 PM
I've always had good luck with Momentum on Violets.

Even a good batch of Three Way. 8-9 oz per gal.

lilmarvin4064
08-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Drive should be your secondary chem in the mix. It helps greatly. Start with something containing triclopyr (ester is better). 2,4-D and dicamba help even more. Mix this w/Drive and it's toast. Speedzone southern didn't work for me.

Carl0229
09-30-2008, 10:52 AM
My once beautiful 1.5 acres of lawn is currently(past 3 years) been increasingly invested with wild violets. I have tried the Lowes and Home Depot sprays, all of which don't work! I am seeking the solution for this problem. Hoping that one of you can help. I have heard that dicamba or banvel will do the trick, but am cautious about them because they seem to be for professional lawn caretakers. Thanks Carl

JWTurfguy
09-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Lilmarvin is right.

Joshuakwhit
09-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Turflon ester works great!

humble1
09-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Drive should be your secondary chem in the mix. It helps greatly. Start with something containing triclopyr (ester is better). 2,4-D and dicamba help even more. Mix this w/Drive and it's toast. Speedzone southern didn't work for me.

Are you saying speedzone southern w/ drive didnt work or by itself?

I mix speedzone southern w/ drive and lesco hawkeye spreader, oh yeah fries the chit out of stuff.

RigglePLC
09-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Look for the new type of WeedBGone that also kills crabgrass. It also contains "quinchlorac" which is the same as Drive. Add detergent or surfactant, or maybe crop oil. Be ready to repeat as needed.

mngrassguy
09-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Momentum FX from Lesco works great. Read and follow the label.

cod8825
09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Q4 + surfacent 3.0 oz per gallon list mist on weeds two weeks and there gone.

Laner
10-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Momentum FX from Lesco works great. Read and follow the label.

Are you using Momentum Fx or Fx2? Why aren't violets listed on Momentum FX or Fx2 labels? I have had great results with Speed Zone, just looking for other options.

Carl0229
10-01-2008, 07:56 AM
mngrass...is this product granular ?? Where can I buy it? The local Lowes Store has Lesco fertilizers, but I don't recall seeing Momentum FX

mngrassguy
10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Buy direct from Lesco. Go to their web site and look for the nearest dealer. Sorry, FX2. Liquid is the only way to kill any weed. Granular weed control just doesn't work well on anything. Don't forget to add a surfactant.

Carl0229
10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
What is this stuff that I need to add??? Any brand name you could recommend?

RigglePLC
10-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Surfactants are special detergents used to help wet waxy weeds and prevent run-off of the herbicide solution. You can use dish detergent--about a teaspoon per gallon would be more than enough.

pinto n mwr
10-01-2008, 09:49 PM
violets? they suck. i must suck. i have yet to kill 100% of any batch, no matter what i use, rate i used it at, nor how many times it got treated. I don't have to say the select few that i have killed was highly dependent on temp and weather conditions.

pieperlc
10-01-2008, 11:06 PM
violets? they suck. i must suck. i have yet to kill 100% of any batch, no matter what i use, rate i used it at, nor how many times it got treated. I don't have to say the select few that i have killed was highly dependent on temp and weather conditions.

Ditto!!!!!

green_mark
10-02-2008, 12:07 PM
One of our best programs is to get rid of +80% of the tough weeds like this within a 30 day period.

Customer keep coming back and getting the neighbors from applying our
Green Guardian 8-0-5 (3) times over a 30 day time span.

We also apply lime at 25 lbs 1,000 with the first application right after spraying. Our reason is the plants are still wet and sticky so the lime attaches to the leaf and we get a major boost to getting them weaker so they are pretty much defenseless by the 3 app.

With the last appl we apply our Everything Must Go to what remains and then we seed.

Nice program. A bit on the costly side but once the customer see's the results come back for more of our other services.

humble1
10-02-2008, 07:49 PM
One of our best programs is to get rid of +80% of the tough weeds like this within a 30 day period.

Customer keep coming back and getting the neighbors from applying our
Green Guardian 8-0-5 (3) times over a 30 day time span.

We also apply lime at 25 lbs 1,000 with the first application right after spraying. Our reason is the plants are still wet and sticky so the lime attaches to the leaf and we get a major boost to getting them weaker so they are pretty much defenseless by the 3 app.

With the last appl we apply our Everything Must Go to what remains and then we seed.

Nice program. A bit on the costly side but once the customer see's the results come back for more of our other services.

I dont see how i could be doing 10 day cycles 3 times in a month? Good luck bud!

pinto n mwr
10-02-2008, 09:51 PM
wonder how that would work on a 25 acre site.... semi load and a week every 10 days.... good sales pitch....

green_mark
10-03-2008, 11:16 AM
wonder how that would work on a 25 acre site.... semi load and a week every 10 days.... good sales pitch....

Good question. The photo shows how we do this for the commercial accounts.

The truck has a 2,000 gallon tank with a Handy Ramp on the back so we can drive the JD Gator into the back and move from site to site very quickly.

The 2,000 gallons plus the sprayer of 200 gallons are filled each time and we can spray 2,200,000 sq ft each trip.

The sprayer averages 240,000 sq ft per hour

On the residential we have highly dense routes. Often 80 stops within a 5 - 10 mile route.

nik
10-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Mind your air temps and inversions with esters. Triclopyr is a very good ingredient but it will get up and move on you.

Course this time of year temps should be less of an issue.

pinto n mwr
10-03-2008, 09:24 PM
used that exact machine before. nice but not nice. good for wide open spaces but you always have to do the edges and trees. by the time you get the areas that need to be done without the boom it is not worth it. 2.2 million sq ft on 2200 gals. sounds pretty close to micro spray. i realize spraying varies from person to person, company to company. just got done spraying momentum on a 1.2 million sq ft townhouse complex and it took a little over 1900 gals.

rcreech
10-03-2008, 10:30 PM
As far as Wild Violets...I can promise you that in OHIO anyway, Quick Silver at 1 oz/acre and Three Way at 55 oz/acre does an awesome job!

Use this mix year round, and it smoked Violets! You definitly won't get them all the first time, but you will thin them out to nothing after 2-3 apps.

Just treated a few lawns this week there were COVERED a year ago, and there are very few left!

green_mark
10-04-2008, 10:42 AM
used that exact machine before. nice but not nice. good for wide open spaces but you always have to do the edges and trees. by the time you get the areas that need to be done without the boom it is not worth it. 2.2 million sq ft on 2200 gals. sounds pretty close to micro spray. i realize spraying varies from person to person, company to company. just got done spraying momentum on a 1.2 million sq ft townhouse complex and it took a little over 1900 gals.

We apply 1 gallon per 1,000 and put on electric booms with the nozzles pointing straight down and have break away if we do hit something. Set light so they can almost be triggered by starting to fast so damage is nearly impossible.

We fit almost everywhere but have a hose reel and gun mounted on the back to hit the areas we cannot get to.

Three switches control the left, right and center individually. Our town home associations are done almost exclusively with this.

pinto n mwr
10-04-2008, 12:19 PM
used that exact machine before (for the second time)
even set it up when it was delivered.
out of the all the sites i do you could use it at maybe three of them. sites are from 1 acre up to 25 acres.

turfsolutions
10-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Mind your air temps and inversions with esters. Triclopyr is a very good ingredient but it will get up and move on you.

Course this time of year temps should be less of an issue.

What do you mean it will get up and move on you?

I use Battleship III for my broadleaf aps because it has Triclopyr and is the only thing that I have used that works on wild violet. Speedzone, q4, Trimec products will not work. They may burn the tips, but wild violet will come right back.

humble1
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Good question. The photo shows how we do this for the commercial accounts.

The truck has a 2,000 gallon tank with a Handy Ramp on the back so we can drive the JD Gator into the back and move from site to site very quickly.

The 2,000 gallons plus the sprayer of 200 gallons are filled each time and we can spray 2,200,000 sq ft each trip.

The sprayer averages 240,000 sq ft per hour

On the residential we have highly dense routes. Often 80 stops within a 5 - 10 mile route.

I drive an propane truck in the winter its around 2000 gallons and it is bigger than that gator, looking in the back of the truck the gator looks about the size of the tank, looks like maybe 500-750 gal to me. Is it the view?

green_mark
10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I drive an propane truck in the winter its around 2000 gallons and it is bigger than that gator, looking in the back of the truck the gator looks about the size of the tank, looks like maybe 500-750 gal to me. Is it the view?

No the Gator has a 200 gallon tank.

Ric
10-07-2008, 11:22 AM
IMAGE 70DG is labelled to control violets and does a good job.

mngrassguy
10-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Thank Ric, never tried it. Your the King!!!

summitlawncare
10-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Looks like you have been given much advise on this subject, I have had very good luck with Confront. You should check it out.

summitlawncare
10-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Ooops sorry Conront is manufactured by Dow Agro.

nik
10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
What do you mean it will get up and move on you?

Volatility. Those phenoxy-type herbicides like to volatilize under certain conditions. Hot weather, inversions, micro-climates, all help that stuff move. Not just the esters but even amines.

You can see it even on spring days out here where the weather is say 60-65 degrees. Someone sprays a yard and right next to the yards is an ally or parking lot with a lot of asphalt and little air movement. The sun heats the asphalt and the air right around it much hotter than the 60 degrees the product starts leaving the sprayed area. The molecules then move with the whatever air movement there is and can land one something real sensitive like garden veggies or grapes. Happens more than you would think.

We have lots of commercial vineyards in Oregon and lots of big houses with ig yards in the middle of them. Most of the damage is caused by homeowners but not all. Those products are great tools, but like I said you have to be real careful with them.

turfsolutions
10-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Good points. I was actually more concerned with me sucking down the vapors while spraying. I do notice when using battleship that it does mist and move upward.

RigglePLC
10-08-2008, 10:08 PM
To reduce the vapors you suck in. Switch to amines--not much volatility or odor. Lesco Eliminate or Eliminate low odor is excellent. Also use the lowest pressure you can and the highest volume you can. White nozzle on Chemlawn gun is best.

ted putnam
10-08-2008, 10:13 PM
IMAGE 70DG is labelled to control violets and does a good job.

Not trying to correct you Ric...maybe just add to your advice. I have never used Image to control violets. It probably works like Ric says. I have used it to control wild onion and Fescue. Here Fescue is a weed. It may be fine to use on KBG...that I don't know. I would avoid using it to try to control violets in Fescue. JMO

greendoctor
10-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Image is one of the foundation herbicides for warm season turf, it is never to be applied over cool season grasses or any paspalum species unless the goal is to suppress and eventually kill them.

mngrassguy
10-09-2008, 02:47 AM
No wonder I've never heard of it used around here. lol

Ric
10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Oops

Sorry fellows I work on C-4 Warm Season turf only, mostly St Augustine or Zoysia. But what is the rule? "Always read the label" and that should tell you where Image can and can't be used. Always double check any information given by anyone.