PDA

View Full Version : So I bought the 236B and the BAD news is !

Stinchcomb Lawn
08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
So I bought the 236B that I was talking about in my post about the Thomas skid steer. I had a friend bring it home for me since my dump trailer was loaded with tree limbs. So I get to looking and measuring and well it won't fit in my dump trailer by 2 inches !! So this made for a very long bad day. I had to buy a new trailer, so I bought the Big Tex skid steer trailer with 2 6k axles 20 ft long. It has a 2 dove tail with ramps for 3,800. It's a very nice trailer and the CAT 236 is amazing thanks to all you guys for your help and advise. I'll try to get some pics when I figure out hot to put them on here. Thanks again !! :usflag:

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 10:32 PM
To get pictures on here you just upload them to your computer then upload them to somewhere like photobucket (google it) After that you just copy-paste the link next to where it says IMG and it will come up with the picture. And I'm glad to hear that you like your new CAT.

74inchShovel
08-14-2008, 11:09 PM
CDL laws are a little goofy state to state- I know in WA that a 12000# trailer would need a CDL in a lot of cases- and a !0,000 wont. Just a heads up

Junior M
08-14-2008, 11:15 PM
thats wierd that it wouldnt fit... usually a dump trailer is just as wide as a between the axle trailer.....

wellbuilt
08-14-2008, 11:19 PM
You wont need a cdl untill you are over 26000 lb my truck is 16000 gvw trailer is 1200 lb I droped the trailer to 1000 lbs No CDL I can pull 12ooolbs with my wifes ford EX diesels but dont need to . Seems silly to me my wife cant even load a trailer .

CAT powered
08-14-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't know what kind of dump trailer we're talking about, but it's probably just as well that it won't fit because I doubt the dump trailer has sufficient tie-downs for that machine.

Junior M
08-15-2008, 12:06 AM
a dump trailer that is made to haul equipment usually has d-rings in the floor...

Scag48
08-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Loading into a dump trailer is a PITA anyway, you'll be glad you bought the trailer. My dad's skid steer fits into the dump trailer he has. We've moved it to and from 1 job, such an angering experience. Even if it fits, it barely fits. Never have enough room to tie anything down, what a freaking hassle it is. Even a small Cat 216 barely fits into a 7x14 dump trailer, dad will never move that machine in the dump again.

On top of the hassles getting the machine chained to the trailer, it's a white knuckle experience getting the machine into the trailer. This could vastly vary between trailer heights and the ramps that you have, I completely understand one trailer could have a decent load angle and another could be completely jacked up. My dad's trailer is a deckover, so the floor is about 3 feet off the ground, more or less. Add to that maybe 6 foot long ramps, maybe, and you have a nice 2:1 slope into a trailer. Sweet. At least that's the way it is with our trailer, like I said, really could vary quite a bit.

Junior M
08-15-2008, 12:09 AM
it probably is... the sad thing is we planned on buying like a 20 foot deckover gooseneck dump... really glad we didnt wouldve had to man handle the ramps that are put way up under it or are hung on the side...

CAT powered
08-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Aha. Thanks for the info. I've never run one of these tow behind your pickup dump trailers before.

Junior M
08-15-2008, 12:14 AM
What?!????????

YellowDogSVC
08-15-2008, 08:18 AM
You wont need a cdl untill you are over 26000 lb my truck is 16000 gvw trailer is 1200 lb I droped the trailer to 1000 lbs No CDL I can pull 12ooolbs with my wifes ford EX diesels but dont need to . Seems silly to me my wife cant even load a trailer .

It's not the actual weight but the GCWR. If your truck is rated at 16k (eg. f550 or similar) and your trailer is rated at 12k, you need a CDL because your GCWR is 28k or 2k over the 26k threshold. A lot of guys think because their actual weight of truck, trailer, and cargo is under CDL that they do not need a CDL. It is based on weight BUT it is also based on what the vehicles' GWR comes out to.
Don't get in a bind because your weight rating puts you in CDL category. You can get nailed with an empty truck and trailer and still get impounded.