PDA

View Full Version : boring missiles

greenmonster304
08-14-2008, 11:33 PM
looking to buy a 2" +/- missile. does anyone have any input on what brand is the best or maybe have one for sale?

Mdirrigation
08-15-2008, 09:55 AM
I have 3 different sizes , 2inch , a 2.5 inch and a 3.5 inch . The smaller one is kight , uses a smaller hose , but is too small for a 1.5 pvc sleeve. It is also less accurate over longer distances due to its weight , power and lenght. I recommend the 2.5 as a more versitle , the downfall is the weight , its heavy and you have to dig a longer ditch. But its more accurate , goes thru harder ground better and a 1.5 pvc sleeve with bell ends will go thru . My big 3.5 rarely gets used . As far as brands I have no preferance , I bought mine used all 3 are different and all work fine

Vermeer
08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Greenmonster304,
Check this weblink out.

Your Vermeer dealer carries this line of tools exclusively. They do not require alot of maintenance and are extremely easy to service when the need arises.
Check out this link. It has a video of one in operation.
http://www.hammerheadmole.com/products/piercing_tools.htm

koster_irrigation
08-15-2008, 06:07 PM
EBAY!I see them on there all the time.

Waterit
08-15-2008, 07:01 PM

You can pick up some extra keys while you're on there, too.:laugh:

greenmonster304
08-15-2008, 08:15 PM

i just dont feel comfortable buying a $2000.00 +/- tool untested from a stranger.

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 08:53 PM
I agree about buying anything on those sites, can't go wrong on a key, though.

AI Inc
08-16-2008, 07:51 AM
I agree about buying anything on those sites, can't go wrong on a key, though.

If ya dont mind paying $4.99 plus shipping for something your supply house will give to you for nothing.

allinearth
08-16-2008, 08:12 AM
I have one I would sell. Think it is 2 or 3". Rarely use it but I have no idea what it is worth. If you are interested pm me and I will find out details.

Waterit
08-16-2008, 11:15 AM
If ya dont mind paying $4.99 plus shipping for something your supply house will give to you for nothing.

Check out the "eBay as a valuable source" thread.

Az Gardener
08-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Not to jack the thread but what about the smaller cheaper units? I only need to get poly and low voltage wire under smaller areas like big sidewalks, narrow driveways, under L/S beds that I don't want to disturb etc. Any suggestions on those units.

Waterit
08-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Not to jack the thread but what about the smaller cheaper units? I only need to get poly and low voltage wire under smaller areas like big sidewalks, narrow driveways, under L/S beds that I don't want to disturb etc. Any suggestions on those units.

A piece of 3/4 thinwall PVC inside a piece of 1 thinwall PVC and hooked to a hose will do most of that with less investment in equipment and set-up time.

And never apologize for jacking a thread.

Mike Leary
08-16-2008, 05:23 PM
This works in good soils. Gotta plan for the punch, tho.
borit.com

Az Gardener
08-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Those guys are local I just have never seen anyone use their tool so it just makes me wonder. How far have you shot with yours? Does it dive or wander L/R ?

As A young man I put about 60' of PVC under a 25' driveway with PVC and a fireman hose end on a male adapter on the end. I don't know where it went but it wasn't coming out the other side :laugh: don't want to do that again.

Mdirrigation
08-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Yes , a missile will wander , dive and shoot up thru asphalt , all depends on whats in the ground , Thats what they do

Wet_Boots
08-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Yes , a missile will wander , dive and shoot up thru asphalt , all depends on whats in the ground , Thats what they doWhich is one reason why, for poly guys at least, it made more sense to go completely around the house, than to worry about crossing a driveway.

Waterit
08-17-2008, 01:37 PM
This works in good soils. Gotta plan for the punch, tho.
borit.com

Have one of those, it works well in most soils. I use 5 ft. lengths of 3/4 galv pipe with welded-on couplings, start with a 10 ft. ditch for the punch.

Only scary thing is having the water and the power so close together, so I made an extension with a drill chuck on the end to keep the drill a little higher out of the ditch. We use a 1/2" right-angle drill.

AI Inc
08-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Which is one reason why, for poly guys at least, it made more sense to go completely around the house, than to worry about crossing a driveway.

Takes 20 minutes to go around the house. That includes running and raking the line. Could take longer to go under the driveway then doing the rest of the entire system.

Mdirrigation
08-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I only use the missile when absolutly necessary , where it will save me time or work , my last install I used it 4 times . I will go around a house before I use it. The nice part of a missile is the extra work you can do , I did driveway shots for a sign company last week for 900 dollars a piece .

irrig8r
08-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Takes 20 minutes to go around the house. That includes running and raking the line. Could take longer to go under the driveway then doing the rest of the entire system.

I guess you don't encounter many pools, decks, patios or fences there?

Kiril
08-18-2008, 12:23 PM
I guess you don't encounter many pools, decks, patios or fences there?

The solution ...........

greenmonster304
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
MISSILE FOUND: I found a 3" Hammerhead Mole (division of Vermeer) with oiler and 50' of hose for $2000.00. I demoed it today at my brothers nursery (so I couldn't lose it under anything) worked great I think I will buy it.