PDA

View Full Version : Enclose skid steer yourself?

PerfiCut L&L
08-15-2008, 06:14 AM
I'm looking at picking up a skid loader (undecided on manufacturer) we want to spend a little extra to get the track loader vs the wheel loader, but I cant justify spending the extra cash to buy one which is enclosed with heat and ac.

I would like to use this during the winter as well, and was wondering how difficult it would be to enclose the cab myself, and add heat. Anyone done this ?

YellowDogSVC
08-15-2008, 09:02 AM
For about 3k extra, at leas with Bobcat or CAt, you can ge AC and Heat. Not only will you be more comfy but it will be better on resale since the trend is towards comfort.

There are some self enclosed vinyl kits.
For Bobcat, you can make plexiglass windows and build a door from scratch but you will spend 1k easily.

If you figure in your time, effort, and materials to do your own cab, you are better off getting a cab, in my opinion. If you want to save a few bucks, find one with the AC not working and fix the heat. You can then fix the AC when you have funds.

SiteSolutions
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Ditto what Yeller Dog says.

Since I got the cab and AC on my latest machine I am a lot more productive and a lot less grumpy at the end of the day.

Unless you are just going to put hired help in the thing, in which case I wouldn't spend extra for anything, since they are only going to destroy it anyway.

mow king
08-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Theres a guy on ebay that sells the Bobcat brand factory OEM kits for like $1200. Thats just the cab though, not heat and AC.

bobcat_ron
08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
The cheapest option is a vinyl enclosure, but I've been down that road before, and that particular road blew the enclosure off at highway speeds, so Dad coughed up the extra cash and went with all glass and a heater.

JB1
08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
The cheapest option is a vinyl enclosure, but I've been down that road before, and that particular road blew the enclosure off at highway speeds, so Dad coughed up the extra cash and went with all glass and a heater.

oh yes, been there done that, have tried before on things to save money and just cost more.

wellbuilt
08-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Ive seen some skids with plexi Windows . The sides are easy , But to make a nice door that you could get in and out of , is not so easy . I don't no about the windshield wiper . Its hard to see with condensation on the windows . I wanted a new skid with cab & heat , with out A/C but it seems like some one cut my phone line this summer .I don't have much work for my EX or skid , if the banks would start lurking out some money i could get rolling . I looked at lots of used skids and most of them had heat and A/C with a cab most A/C did not work well (not cold) and it gets real hot inside .

Junior M
08-15-2008, 11:51 AM
I would go ahead and buy one with a cab like everyone else said... We werent goin to buy a cab but after i spent a whole day in open rops with the cold wind and rain blowing and me getting soaked and covered in dirt from hauling brush but that changed my mind.. but then the next day i was in the same situation on a backhoe with a radio and a cab wow... i love a cab now.. i would spend the money your so much more productive and comfortable and the radio i really love it.. its almost like you work with the beat of the music idk its just really nice.....

chevydump03
08-15-2008, 04:57 PM
I started a thread on Plowsite a couple days ago about putting an enclosure on a skid. Good information is being posted. Might want to give it a look see. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=63071