PDA

View Full Version : Paver patio

VAresident
08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Hello, We are planning a patio in our backyard our contractor is recommending Grinnell patio. We live in Northern Virginia any recommendation about the product quality.

PaperCutter
08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you trust your contractor? Have you had the opportunity to see the product?

VAresident
08-15-2008, 11:42 AM
We like our contractor and his quote is reasonable. Being new to the patio world I did not know what to look for in terms of quality of pavers. Other contractor recommended Rinox. We like the pattern and style of Gernnell.

PaperCutter
08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
I've never used Grinnell- not because of quality or anything, just that I found EP Henry and Techo-Bloc right off the bat and have been happy enough with them I stopped looking around. Hopefully some guys who use Grinnell will weigh in here, but regardless please make sure you're also having this conversation with your contractor. Every project is a combination of aesthetics, site conditions, and budget, and only the folks involved have all that info. Good luck with the project, I hope it turns out great!

bigviclbi
08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I'd check out what kind of warranty grinnell offers. I don't consider them to be one of the higher quality pavers around from what I've seen. Usually using a higher quality paver will result in a small increase in cost but a greater peace of mind.

JimLewis
08-15-2008, 04:47 PM
As far as quality goes - on brands that are available nationally - I like the quality of Pavestone. Their new "Venetian Stone" paver line is just awesome! This kind of paver is the new trend in pavers. Each one has it's own custom pattern. Very nice. We just did a 2500 sq. ft. paver patio using these pavers. It's by far the nicest paver job we've ever done. Check into them and click on all the photos at the bottom of this page;

http://www.pavestone.com/content/view/234/739/

Otherwise, Belgard is probably an even nicer paver. They make top of the line stuff.

http://www.belgard.biz/

VAresident
08-15-2008, 07:11 PM
thanks for all the info. we are going to stop by the dealer over the weekend. I like the Venetian stone.

viet_jon
08-15-2008, 10:22 PM
As far as quality goes - on brands that are available nationally - I like the quality of Pavestone. Their new "Venetian Stone" paver line is just awesome! This kind of paver is the new trend in pavers. Each one has it's own custom pattern. Very nice. We just did a 2500 sq. ft. paver patio using these pavers. It's by far the nicest paver job we've ever done. Check into them and click on all the photos at the bottom of this page;

http://www.pavestone.com/content/view/234/739/

Otherwise, Belgard is probably an even nicer paver. They make top of the line stuff.

http://www.belgard.biz/

really?

I thought the quality has gone bad recently.

Top Dog Pavers
08-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Ive installed a couple of grinell pavers....good product, maybe not as nice as techo-bloc & Def. not as good as rinox

JimLewis
08-16-2008, 03:47 PM
really?

I thought the quality has gone bad recently.

Which one? PaveStone or Belgard?

PatriotLandscape
08-16-2008, 10:06 PM
belgard, they have serious issues with quality in the celtic block. Up here anyway.

Marbleman
08-16-2008, 10:20 PM
belgard, they have serious issues with quality in the celtic block. Up here anyway.

What kind of problems do they have?
One of my suppliers sells them, but I have not used them yet.

mrusk
08-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Grinnell is made about 5 miles from my house and I refuse to use there product. What does that tell you?

tthomass
08-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Considered using stone? Charles Luck on Sterling Blvd has plenty of selection that I install if interested.

viet_jon
08-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Which one? PaveStone or Belgard?

now I"m confused...

when I google belgard or permacon, they both have the same products. Are they the same company.

I don't know about pavestone

JimLewis
08-16-2008, 11:45 PM
One is probably the brand owner (belgard) and the other is probably the LOCAL manufacturer of their product. Just like in Segmental retaining wall blocks, it's not really economical to have one company produce all the blocks at one location and ship them around the U.S. So each area has a more localized "manufacturer" of their products that supplies all of that product to the area.

For instance, AllanBlock is a national name. But in this region, Central Oregon Block and Brick makes and distributes all of the AllanBlock to all of the retail or rock yards in the area.

Anyway, I haven't ever used Belgard. They just recently became available in our area - by special order. But I've seen samples and it looks like amazing stuff compared to typical pavers.

I can vouch for PaveStone though. Their Venetian is kick butt stuff.

forestfireguy
08-17-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm with Rusk, I'm also about 5 miles from Grinnell, and I can't stand the stuff, I've used it but I wouldn't put it in at my house, that said they have a new manufacturing facility and are supposedly working on QC issues, their wall products are also junk at least they were last season when I last used them, the joke was keep a pocket full of pennies to shime them, it's not close to the same league as Techo, go someplace that has both, compare them side by side, there is really not much of a comparison. Grinnell is lighter, less dense and has little air bubbles pock marking the surface. AH but grinnell is CHEAP compared to Techo, my advice, if you can't swing the Techo look at CST good quality, reasonable cost. Then of course theres natural stone but it isn't cheap either.

PAPS Landscape Design
08-23-2008, 11:40 PM
there wall stone is garbage, I use there non-tumbled paver (Spartan I, II) line for cheaper large driveway jobs when the client is trying to save money. we did a 12,000 sqft driveway earlier this year and it came out nice with the pavers.