PDA

View Full Version : Cemetaries

Mowman
01-11-2000, 04:44 PM
Do any of you guys cut cemetaries? If so how do you figure out how much to charge? I think it would be a good place to cut. Any experiences will be greatly appreicated. Thanks.<p>----------<br>Steven R. Knapp<br>

awm
01-27-2001, 11:10 PM
I dread doing cemetaries.Too much like
hard work.It really takes alot to trim the
stones uniformly so it looks like it should.
there is probably some better at this than I.

Green Acres
01-27-2001, 11:46 PM
Last year we took care of 6 of them. There really not that bad of a deal. We picked these up because we had some openings we needed to fill and will bid on them again this year. Just remember that the everything will take more time including mowing since you have to watch out more and try to get as close as possible to help on the trimming. Also on the hot days do all of the trimming in the morning and mow in the afternoon (common sense). If you can when the temp is cooler mow first and trim last. Reason being you can usually blow off most of the stones with the trimmers and you don't have to go over the same area twice. After a time or two you will be familar with what areas the mowers can and can't get. Hope this helps if you need anything else just email me.

cleancut
01-27-2001, 11:51 PM
Alot of people in my area avoid mowing cemeteries, but I've taken on several in the past few years..The ones that I do pay pretty good...They do take more time but I think they're worth the effort...Somebody needs to take care of them...Derrick

kutnkru
01-27-2001, 11:59 PM
Dont people get upset when they see you blasting their dearly departed loved ones markers with clippings. I would have thought that the association would have requested mulching decks to avoid this??

Just curious,
Kris

leeslawncare
01-28-2001, 12:30 AM
I've got the chance to do a small one this year.the other guy was doing it for 40bucks .but he is retired.i have second thoughts about it .it is like at the top of the street where i live .i could ride my walk behind to the place an do it but .never done one b-4 what do you guys think?

1MajorTom
01-28-2001, 12:42 AM
Leeslawncare,

I don't think 40 bucks is near enough for doing a cemetary.
Or did you mean to type 400 bucks? Or 40 bucks an hour?

You say it's small, but I can't see how it would be worth it for you.
Heck, for 40 bucks, you might as well find a residental account to pick up for $40.00 and save yourself the hassles
of the cemetary.

Jodi

Eric ELM
01-28-2001, 01:11 AM
Wow, this is an old thread. It was started over a year ago and the last response before today was January 12, 2000, so I am going to delete the first 2 or 3 posts since the old Hall Of Forum achives isn't around anymore. Those posts won't make much sense to new members.
Eric

Runner
01-28-2001, 03:47 AM
Eric, I hope my story of voluntary work on a cemetery wasn't in with the ones that were deleted. I thought that was a pretty good post. However, it may not have even been in this thread.

Guido
01-28-2001, 08:08 AM
Stock up on lots of trimmer line and extra spools already wound in the truck!! And make sure you have some back-ups!! Thats really the key to most cemateries.

Good Luck!

SpringValley
01-28-2001, 10:03 AM
We mow three cemeteries that were a package deal for the township. I had to take all three. One takes about an hour to mow, 30 mins to trim, not a lot of stones. The second one takes about an hour to mow, 1 1/2 hours to trim, lots of stones (and ground hornets). The last one is an Indian burial mound that they decided to plant people on. That one takes 6-7 hours to mow, and 18-20 man hours to trim. It is brutal. I took them last year for a flat $6000 for the year as that is all the money they had budgeted. He promised $10,000 this year but I haven't received my contract back yet after he (the township trustee) made me make changes. Last year was a bad year to take the flat fee. We worked our butts off on those. I learned a lot and hope to have a more productive, profitable year this year.

Matt

Eric ELM
01-28-2001, 11:21 AM
No, it wasn't on there. It was some referring to the old Hall Of Forums since this forum had just started 3 weeks before the first post on this.
Eric

cleancut
01-28-2001, 07:59 PM
As far as the clipping on the headstones, there's really no way to avoid it unless u use a mulching kit..However, while weedeating around the stone, I use the wind off the weedeater to clean off the headstones so that we don't have to go back and blow them off..On a large cemetery, this saves ALOT of time...Leelawncare: I would say go for the cemetery...If it's it's small u should be able to mow it in less than an hour...And you're performing a service that needs to be done...Derrick

Eng Mwr Guy
01-29-2001, 05:14 PM
I've, heard, Gravely has a 40 inch deck for exactly this purpose.

It is Right, left or left rear discharge (thus no clippings on headstones). It was designed for exacly this purpose.

Some trivia for y'all.

Barry

Mitchell L Evans
01-30-2001, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Eng Mwr Guy
I've, heard, Gravely has a 40 inch deck for exactly this purpose.

It is Right, left or left rear discharge (thus no clippings on headstones). It was designed for exacly this purpose.

Some trivia for y'all.

Barry

jaclawn
01-30-2001, 08:58 PM
I do two cemeteries. They are my highest dollars per hour mowing jobs.

1. They are rough ground, so you cannot go 10 MPH
2. You must use a mulching deck.
3. Try to get them on an every other week trimming schedule. You can scalp the trimming a little, and it does not need trimmed every week.
4. Have the same people do the same jobs each week. You can only learn where you can and cannot fit the mowers from experience.
5. Carry an extra trimmer at all times.
6. You will absolutely have to have the place in tip top shape before Memorial Day.
7. Be prepared to adjust your schedule in case of a funeral.
8. The residents rarely complain.

Atlantic Lawn
03-01-2001, 07:14 AM
Too spooky for me, just remember to watch your chems, sprays and fert can attack bronze or other plaques.

SpringValley
03-01-2001, 07:53 AM
Per my earlier post, I found out Monday the township trustee gave my cemeteries to someone else who underbid me by 7%. I am looking for new accounts now and have been reading past posts on gaining new customers. Wish me success!!

Matt

captdevo
03-01-2001, 08:11 AM
I do two cemetaries with my 48inch GHS Walkers (trimming is minimal) , they are not bad at all. I recently was contracted for a third which is a Veterans Merorial about 12 acres which I am in need of a 36 inch deck to mow with. I charge by the acre on these which price varies from $35-$40 pending on: Headstones (on or above ground), Shepherds poles, set up of markings (Veterans are 40inches apart) and terrain.

DanG
03-01-2001, 08:57 PM
Mow and trim the cemetery on a 10-14 day schedule. Most of the time every two weeks but if needed during heavy growing season it might be done sooner to keep the cemetery appearance up.
All stones if moved by mowing equipment will be re-centered throughout mowing season.
Remove unsightly flowers as needed & remove to designated area or removed from the property.
Mowing Season consists of:

April: Mow one time & pick up flowers from over the winter, Do general cleanup of the grounds.
May: Mow 2-3 times, with one mowing right before the holiday.
June: Mow 2-3 times, with one mowing before just before the 4th of July.
July: Mow 2-3 times
August: Mow 2-3 times, with one before the labor day holiday
September: Mow 2 times
October: Mow 1 time with last mowing to mulch up leaves in the fall

*Mowing schedule may be modified due to unforeseen weather conditions*
( Ie: rain or drought)

This is just one of the contracts that I have and how I deal with them.On two others that I do it is almost the same but with a clause for every other mowing trimming.

There's good money in them & if you take the time to do them right most times they don't go back out to bid.

I use ZTR's(Hustlers 251K's rear discharge) and Toro z-masters to do them)

Dan

D. G. Enterprises

mike
03-01-2001, 10:35 PM
I have one small family cemetary that has about 10 headstones. The rest of the fenced in area is just mowing. Just alittle bit of weedeating. The owner gave me a key & lets me cut when I feel like it needs it. I also cut the owners lawn, usually the same day. I also cut his sisters lawn, & 2 of his neices lawns. I also do some work for his brother! This family has been good to me, I do my best to be good to them!!!!!! A lot of the work is on the main street going into a small town. I have gotten alot of good comments from the local locals. All is good!!!!!

corey77
06-29-2005, 11:30 PM
I got started in the mowing business by working for a town cemetery for a few summers i enjoy it so much i started my own business now i would like to mow a cemetery as a contract im going to bed on a 3 acre one in the spring it includes mowing trimming mulching the flower beds and fall clean up what should I bed?

The Captain
06-30-2005, 01:52 AM
First of all....Welcome to Lawnsite.com, Corey. Since you say you've done cemeterys before, guesstimate how long it's going to take timewise, based on your past experiance, take that number times what you want to make per hour, add in your expeses and hopefully you've got a bid figure. The hourly rate varies so much from area to area I don't think any of us can give you a solid answer on charges...........

Good luck,

Jim

mike micklich
06-30-2005, 07:00 AM
I use a greatdane ztr, toro walkbehind ztr, and toro-z master ztr brutal work $700 for up 2 14 man hrs. i trim with a 40 cc stihl trimmer the best i have had ever and i have killed many many. head does not play out line and never malfunctions debris sheid is removed so as to trim stones with out dancing around them makes for less trim time. also going to try trimmit from zeneca a growth regulator for turf4-6 week growth control for turf grasses 400 bucks a popfor 1 gal

RobH
06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
I used to mow a cemetery and I felt that the hardest part was the trimming. It will cause a lot of wear and tear on the trimmer. I also have found that it is better to cut first and trim second. This way you trim only what wasn't cut vs. trimming a little bit more here and there which can add up to a lot of wasted time.

On the cemetery that I used to cut it would take approx. 2.5 hours just in trimming alone.

When pricing definitely figure the time spent on trimming. Also the layout of the stones can make the mowing easier or harder. The place I cut had stones all over the place with very poor organization. It made cutting difficult as well.

corey77
07-01-2005, 12:38 AM
I was thinking around 16 hours every time!

corey77
07-01-2005, 10:47 PM
the city cemetery I used to work 4 had 3 walkers 2 with 42 ghs decks and 1 with a 62 inch deck to mow open areas and it was changed over 2 a 48 ghs deck in the in the fall to pick up leaves

zmowing
07-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Dead people never ***** :angel: that a plus.