PDA

View Full Version : Grease

AMCAT
08-15-2008, 01:36 PM
What is a real good Grease to be useing on skids. or heavy equipment i know there are tons of different greases out there.but what is the right one to use on heavy wear pivot points & such ???

Nel-Martin
08-15-2008, 02:39 PM
swepco ?? :laugh:

RockSet N' Grade
08-15-2008, 04:06 PM
You will get all sorts of answers to that question. What I think matters most is that you grease your machines on a regular basis, even when you don't want to. It is easy to get lazy and say that's good enough or I will do it later........grease is the cheapest thing you have going for you when it comes to equipment, so grease-grease-grease! I have a Lincloln electric grease gun and that makes the routine a little easier for me to continue with. If you have employee's, assume they DON'T do it like they say they do (if at all) and make sure all the zerks work......carry extra zerk's in your tool box.

Johnny-CAT!
08-15-2008, 08:06 PM
don't really think it matters that much what kind grease you use as long as you grease it on a regular basis...... Heck of a nice skidsteer you have there!!! :rolleyes:

Nelson M Martin
08-15-2008, 10:21 PM
i have been greasing daily with grease called Wheel bearing grease.
It seems like the pivot points on end of cylinder rods are drying up and makes greasing very hard..So i am not sure that all kinds of grease will do the trick.
maybe same as MTL's and CTL's some brands are better then others:cool2:

Nelson M Martin
08-15-2008, 10:22 PM
swepco ?? :laugh:

Goooday:canadaflag:

Nel-Martin
08-15-2008, 10:39 PM
there is such a thing around , but i WON'T used it even though the sale rep talk very rapidly about how good this swepco grease is to do:hammerhead:

AMCAT
08-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Work pics...............

Junior M
08-15-2008, 10:56 PM
can i ask a question? what is the purpose of the vts? better traction? basically what is the added bonus of the vts?

Nelson M Martin
08-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Work pics...............

why the deere AM:):laugh:

iluvscag
08-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Marathon Miraplex. We buy over 500 tubes a year.

Scag48
08-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Any Shell or Chevron grease is pretty good stuff. Schaeffer's is expensive, but excellent. On equipment this small, just about any good moly grease will do. The pins and bushings are smaller compared to larger equipment, but they really don't see anywhere near the abuse or stress with larger equipment. Wheel bearing grease probably isn't a good idea, probably doesn't do too well when mixed with dirt. Isn't nearly tacky enough to last or provide any real lasting lubrication. It won't stick to the pins very well as compared to a bearing set in a race in which the grease was engineered for use with.

bobcat_ron
08-15-2008, 11:32 PM
I've read too that having a magnesium or copper additive is recommended.

Nelson M Martin
08-16-2008, 08:08 AM
can i ask a question? what is the purpose of the vts? better traction? basically what is the added bonus of the vts?

If you want to do some serious soil moving. Then try with VTS and try without them....you will know the difference in the first few minutes you run the VTS

AMCAT
08-16-2008, 08:29 AM
why the deere AM:):laugh:

Just ignore the deere as if it wern't there:hammerhead:

ksss
08-16-2008, 03:35 PM
You will get all sorts of answers to that question. What I think matters most is that you grease your machines on a regular basis, even when you don't want to. It is easy to get lazy and say that's good enough or I will do it later........grease is the cheapest thing you have going for you when it comes to equipment, so grease-grease-grease! I have a Lincloln electric grease gun and that makes the routine a little easier for me to continue with. If you have employee's, assume they DON'T do it like they say they do (if at all) and make sure all the zerks work......carry extra zerk's in your tool box.

One other point. Don't let your help leave the battery powered Lincoln on the wheel of the skid steer. They don't hold up under a skid steer. 300 bucks gone.

ksss
08-16-2008, 03:38 PM
I use the red box CASE grease and the Yellow box Deere grease both work well, the CASE is a little more sticky but both seem to last and its convienient.

RockSet N' Grade
08-16-2008, 04:11 PM
It's hard to fix "stupid"........although I would usually absorb a "mistake" like the grease gun thing, I really think I would be prone to have the employee replace that one. We just got back from weed-abatement and a rock flew up and broke a side door out of my Kubota. That is a legit boo-boo and that I will have to absorb.......I will tell you this, when you are inside and the glass rains down on you in shattered pieces - it will certainly wake you up! Kinda reminds me of a guy I know in Idaho whose skid shot a rock through an expensive window on an expensive "starter home"........Shiat happens, but stupid doesn't have to without consequence.

ksss
08-16-2008, 04:21 PM
It's hard to fix "stupid"........although I would usually absorb a "mistake" like the grease gun thing, I really think I would be prone to have the employee replace that one. We just got back from weed-abatement and a rock flew up and broke a side door out of my Kubota. That is a legit boo-boo and that I will have to absorb.......I will tell you this, when you are inside and the glass rains down on you in shattered pieces - it will certainly wake you up! Kinda reminds me of a guy I know in Idaho whose skid shot a rock through an expensive window on an expensive "starter home"........Shiat happens, but stupid doesn't have to without consequence.

He paid half.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Just ignore the deere as if it wern't there:hammerhead:Deere's have feeling to.:cry:

JDSKIDSTEER
08-16-2008, 05:59 PM
One other point. Don't let your help leave the battery powered Lincoln on the wheel of the skid steer. They don't hold up under a skid steer. 300 bucks gone.
I did that with our shops grease gun while getting a machine ready for a demo. I am not allowed to use it any more. I patched it with duct tape. Back to the pistol grip for me.:cry:

CAT powered
08-16-2008, 10:39 PM
You ought to see a grease gun after it gets run over by every axle of a nearly 100 ton truck+trailer. It was less than 1/8" thick afterwards.

Employees: You can have a greasegun for 25 years and have it work every day. Give it to an employee once and it gets flattened.

Construct'O
08-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Trouble with the grease guns i have ,every time you go to use it is always .......... empty, darn help!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::usflag:

Junior M
08-17-2008, 12:10 AM
If you want to do some serious soil moving. Then try with VTS and try without them....you will know the difference in the first few minutes you run the VTS
what do you mean? do they have better traction? are they faster?

i guess i am asking what are the advantage's and disadvantages of having vts? I am just wondering a bunch of people have it but never say why they got it...

AMCAT
08-18-2008, 07:43 AM
what do you mean? do they have better traction? are they faster?

i guess i am asking what are the advantage's and disadvantages of having vts? I am just wondering a bunch of people have it but never say why they got it...

in my situation the advantage of the VTS is that some days i need wheels other days i need tracks so with this system i have the best of both worlds but other wise i don't really see much advantage to them

Junior M
08-18-2008, 07:45 AM
so you can take off the vts and put wheels back on?

AMCAT
08-18-2008, 07:58 AM
so you can take off the vts and put wheels back on?

Thats right the tracks bolt onto the hubs where the wheels are normally bolted on the whole procedure takes 1 hour max.I would say these tracks turn your normal skid into a machine that is equivilant to the normal track machine this really gives you some options in both wheel & track situations !!!