PDA

View Full Version : 2009 P.G Magnum

PSUTURFGEEK
08-15-2008, 08:45 PM
the new 2009 Magnum has 3 main improvements:

SmartSteer is a patent pending "power steering" system that makes the Magnum 50% easier to steer. Amazingly the handles, controls and PermaGreen steering motion haven't changed. The only difference is that SmartSteer automatically cuts the steering effort in half! SmartSteer is so naturally intuitive there is nothing extra to learn or think about and no extra levers to pull. You never have to let go so both you and the machine are always under control.

The Magnum SmartSteer also has a hand-operated braking system that works well in both forward and reverse.

A silky smooth push pull cable opens and closes the hopper. It is heavy duty stainless steel and has 3/16 inch threaded operating ends.

All these systems have been thoroughly field tested under actual heavy production conditions, and they have been performing extremely well. The technicians involved in the testing, in the most enthusiastic terms, prefer operating the SmartSteer over any of the other PermaGreens they have used in the past.

We will show the SmartSteer for the first time on Aug. 21 at the Indiana State Lawn Care Association show.
I will try to post the picture I have soon.

americanlawn
08-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Sounds good (we're always shopping). Have they addressed the "fighting of the gears" or the constant repair probs? Have wiring/pump problems improved? Does it spread & spray farther? What's the spread/spray width now? Has handling hills improved? How 'bout operator fatigue -- better? I want to test drive one. We'll see how it compares. Thanks much for the update -- we'll test it & see how it compares.

RigglePLC
08-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Nice. But maybe that is why I have always operated mine with the handles in the "down" position. See avatar. Easy to steer. A leverage thing, i suppose.

Better brakes are a good idea. I used to hate releasing the parking brake and careening down the ramp backwards at 30 miles per hour. Keep it in gear--I learned.

And I want fenders, too. I would like to make it impossible to accidentally step on a spinning rear wheel--ouch that hurts.

VARMIT COMMISSION
08-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Is the smart steer going to be an upgrade we can install on an 08 pg? I would upgrade it in a heartbeat, if price was ok.

FERT-TEK
08-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Have they done anything to upgrade the pump system for spraying WP's etc? What is the price point?

I am looking into a used skid sprayer for chemicals that I cannot use with the PG. An upgraded pump system would solve many of my problems and would help them retain customers lost to the competition for this reason.

As I am typing this I came up with a feature that no one I am aware of is offering in a ride on. Assuming that the spray system gets upgraded some day to cover the carrier volume or WP issues associated with PG's. What if PG or the competition offered removable tanks so you might be able to carry fungicides, herbicides and insecticides separately for spot treatments or service calls.

RigglePLC
08-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Good idea Fert tek. i think I have seen some discussion on this site about an auxillary tank that was set up to go in the hopper. You need a couple extra valves.
Anybody want agitation for the tank? Does anybody feel like they need three hands to operate the throttle, pump, spreader and trim valve at the same time?

jbturf
08-16-2008, 08:52 PM
would definately like agitation, but also a lower mounted larger tank with mechanical
and jet agitation. i definately need an extra hand to operate the z-spray
but not the PG

PSUTURFGEEK
08-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I will post some more info in a day or two after I meet with Tom.

rcreech
08-16-2008, 09:16 PM
PSU,

Please let me know as soon as you have pics! I am a big PG fan and can't wait to see it!

Any idea where the price will be? How soon will they be available?

This is AWESOME!

teeca
08-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Have they done anything to upgrade the pump system for spraying WP's etc? What is the price point?

I am looking into a used skid sprayer for chemicals that I cannot use with the PG. An upgraded pump system would solve many of my problems and would help them retain customers lost to the competition for this reason.

As I am typing this I came up with a feature that no one I am aware of is offering in a ride on. Assuming that the spray system gets upgraded some day to cover the carrier volume or WP issues associated with PG's. What if PG or the competition offered removable tanks so you might be able to carry fungicides, herbicides and insecticides separately for spot treatments or service calls.

if you call PG they will set you up with a conversion kit to spray higher volums per K

PSUTURFGEEK
08-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Or you can get a tee jet catalog and calibrate it yourself and save a bunch of money, the reason I say this is not to say anything is wrong with getting the kit from pg but if you order one of the Venturi kits it comes with two purple and two brown nozzles, now this is the kit for the centri model and it's like 100.00, you can do it yourself for 33.00

ZSpray Info
08-18-2008, 07:58 AM

The Z-Sprays already offer an extra tank option. All of our units have a 4.0 gpm pump providing constant by pass agitation, giving it the ability for WP's, fungicides etc. The tank can be mounted in conjunction with the main tank, or even have its own dedicated pump and coil hose for spot application.

Carrier volume can be addressed with a different tip, or slowing down ground speed. You can quickly change the tips. A 1 gallon tip can put down 1 gallon per thousand @ 5 mph, or 2 gallons @ 2.5 MPH. Check out our site z-spray.com for a Tip application chart.

The extra tank is great for holding any high dollar product. such as Drive, Manage, Q4, Certainty, PreM's.

FERT-TEK
08-18-2008, 08:27 AM
The Z-Sprays already offer an extra tank option. All of our units have a 4.0 gpm pump providing constant by pass agitation, giving it the ability for WP's, fungicides etc. The tank can be mounted in conjunction with the main tank, or even have its own dedicated pump and coil hose for spot application.

Carrier volume can be addressed with a different tip, or slowing down ground speed. You can quickly change the tips. A 1 gallon tip can put down 1 gallon per thousand @ 5 mph, or 2 gallons @ 2.5 MPH. Check out our site z-spray.com for a Tip application chart.

The extra tank is great for holding any high dollar product. such as Drive, Manage, Q4, Certainty, PreM's.

Thanks for the information and I didn't know that. Which version are you showing in the picture? Is the extra tank setup a add on direct from the manufacturer or something your owners have done on their own. Finally, is that option available on all your models or just the larger ones?

I will look a little harder at your product.

ZSpray Info
08-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the information and I didn't know that. Which version are you showing in the picture? Is the extra tank setup a add on direct from the manufacturer or something your owners have done on their own. Finally, is that option available on all your models or just the larger ones?

I will look a little harder at your product.

That is our Intermediate model. 18 gallon tank with extra 7 gallon tank, and 220 lb hopper. The extra tank can be added our shop, or later by the owner. It is available on all of our models.

RigglePLC
08-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Another thing I would like to see: An electronic system that would record the number of sqft you covered while spreading (and for spraying). (You zero it out at the start.) It starts when you open hopper--not while transporting to the start point. And maybe some kind of electronic calibration system. Maybe a pressure guage, even. All rain proof, of course.

And...a better hopper cover--so rain during transport is no problem. And teflon spinner.

And have you noticed that even if you calibrate perfectly on Monday--on Tuesday it may be 15 percent off, even if you use the same setting.

scweedman
08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
I wish the spray tips were in front of the tires like the ultra. I can't see if i lose flow
or have a good flow.

Victor
08-19-2008, 02:43 PM
That is our Intermediate model. 18 gallon tank with extra 7 gallon tank, and 220 lb hopper. The extra tank can be added our shop, or later by the owner. It is available on all of our models.

Now that's an impressive machine! If I buy one of your spreader/sprayers, it would be one of your 36" Jr's., but that "Intermediate" is pretty impressive none the less.

yardprospraying
08-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Now that's an impressive machine! If I buy one of your spreader/sprayers, it would be one of your 36" Jr's., but that "Intermediate" is pretty impressive none the less.

Victor,

We bought the z-spray intermediate in May, and I must say that the guys at LT Rich are awesome. This machine is built to last. It only took a a few hours to get the hang of it. It will fit in most of the mid size yards that we service, since most homeowners have a little bigger gate for their own mowers to fit through. I am seriously contemplating buying a second one for next year. If I do it would be the junior, just for the simple fact it will go anywhere.

We service several ball fields, and am seriously thinking of ditching the 2yr old hps spreader. I did a granular fert only treatment on a 6 acre ball field complex last week, in under 40 mins. It is unbelievable how well this machine spreads/sprays. We also have 2 of the prolawn sprayers on our grasshopper machines, and I am even considering getting rid of one of them.

I am not an employee or anyway related to z-spray, just another very satisfied customer. I guess it goes to show that a happy customer is the best advertisement you can have!

John..

Real Green
08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I am a little confused here... How is it that a PermaGreen thread gets hijacked by Zspray in a totally rude fashion and no one says anything or makes any verbal attacks? But if anyone discusses the T3000 in a polite fashion in any other thread, certain people go bonkers. I am missing something here...

RigglePLC
08-19-2008, 08:02 PM
And another thing--Michigan state law requires that you wear gloves during any pesticide application. So all ride-on machines should be operable with gloves on.

And all other equipment, also.

Victor
08-19-2008, 10:17 PM
I am a little confused here... How is it that a PermaGreen thread gets hijacked by Zspray in a totally rude fashion and no one says anything or makes any verbal attacks? But if anyone discusses the T3000 in a polite fashion in any other thread, certain people go bonkers. I am missing something here...

:laugh: I noticed that too. A separate thread should have been started to discuss Z's. You're also spot-on about the bias against T3000's here. It's a shame, because it's a really impressive machine.

ted putnam
08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
:laugh:Yea, y'all are right! But geez, just look at that thing. It just looks like it was made to crank it out. I can see myself on one right now!

:cool2:SWEEEEEEET!

ZSpray Info
08-20-2008, 07:39 AM

I do not believe I was rude at all. I specifically replied to a post by Fert-Tek. If I started a new thread, he may not see the response. I did not bash any other machine on the market, I only mentioned the capabilities of our machine.

Real Green
08-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I do not believe I was rude at all. I specifically replied to a post by Fert-Tek. If I started a new thread, he may not see the response. I did not bash any other machine on the market, I only mentioned the capabilities of our machine.

The question Fert-Tek asked pertained to the Perma-Green. And in the manner that you posted, a new thread should have been started or you could have sent him a p.m. Either way, what's done is done and it doesn't really matter. I didn't point the finger at you for bashing a machine or said you did. As you new memeber, you may or may not have seen the Threads for the Turfco T3000 that have been going on for months and I was commenting on the track record with other members postings. Hope you are doing well. Take care and have a great day! :)

ZSpray Info
08-20-2008, 09:32 AM
The question Fert-Tek asked pertained to the Perma-Green. And in the manner that you posted, a new thread should have been started or you could have sent him a p.m. Either way, what's done is done and it doesn't really matter. I didn't point the finger at you for bashing a machine or said you did. As you new memeber, you may or may not have seen the Threads for the Turfco T3000 that have been going on for months and I was commenting on the track record with other members postings. Hope you are doing well. Take care and have a great day! :)

Fert-Tek made a statement that no machine on the market had a feature he was interested in. I replied to that. Why would I create a new thread replying to a statement in another? If I send a PM, nobody else posting in that specific thread knows his statement was incorrect.

Fert-Tek wrote "As I am typing this I came up with a feature that no one I am aware of is offering in a ride on."

ted putnam
08-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Fert-Tek made a statement that no machine on the market had a feature he was interested in. I replied to that. Why would I create a new thread replying to a statement in another? If I send a PM, nobody else posting in that specific thread knows his statement was incorrect.

Fert-Tek wrote "As I am typing this I came up with a feature that no one I am aware of is offering in a ride on."

I think Z's gotcha there Real Green!...And a big fat closeup photo to boot! I have a degree in marketing...Now that's marketing!!!

yardprospraying
08-20-2008, 12:36 PM

Real Green,

If you are talking about me hijacking this thread, I must offer my sincere appologies. I just saw that z-spray info posted the pic showing the secondary tank, making the statement that no other manufacturer offers that option. I was making my comment to Victor. He seemed like he liked the machine, so I put in a little bit of my personal experience the LT Rich's Z-Spray.

I am not a rude person, nor have I ever once commited about the T3000. I have read every post that pertains to that particular machine, and have not once posted any remarks about it, because I do not own one. I am sure it is a good machine, and I have never once bashed it or hijacked the threads that pertain to it.

I know sometimes that these posts can get a little heated because we all have our favorite machines, chems, and ways of doing things, and sometimes think just because someone doesn't do it "our way" then they are against us.

I feel that I shouldn't have posted in this thread, but like you said in an another post, whats done is done. If I offended anyone else I am sorry.

John..

Real Green
08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Real Green,

If you are talking about me hijacking this thread, I must offer my sincere appologies. I just saw that z-spray info posted the pic showing the secondary tank, making the statement that no other manufacturer offers that option. I was making my comment to Victor. He seemed like he liked the machine, so I put in a little bit of my personal experience the LT Rich's Z-Spray.

I am not a rude person, nor have I ever once commited about the T3000. I have read every post that pertains to that particular machine, and have not once posted any remarks about it, because I do not own one. I am sure it is a good machine, and I have never once bashed it or hijacked the threads that pertain to it.

I know sometimes that these posts can get a little heated because we all have our favorite machines, chems, and ways of doing things, and sometimes think just because someone doesn't do it "our way" then they are against us.

I feel that I shouldn't have posted in this thread, but like you said in an another post, whats done is done. If I offended anyone else I am sorry.

John..

No way do you have anything to apologize for John! In fact this has all been too much, all I was stating was a simple observation. That is what this board is here for, for us to discuss and share our ideas. You are right, things do get heated, but not in this instance. Everything's fine and again, you have nothing to apologize for. Take care! :dancing:

yardprospraying
08-20-2008, 01:46 PM
No way do you have anything to apologize for John! In fact this has all been too much, all I was stating was a simple observation. That is what this board is here for, for us to discuss and share our ideas. You are right, things do get heated, but not in this instance. Everything's fine and again, you have nothing to apologize for. Take care! :dancing:

Real Green,

Thanks for the reply. I usually sit idle and read most posts and threads and absorb it all like a sponge. I know we all get excited when new equipment comes out. It reminds me of being a kid again at Christmas time!! I have learned a lot from these discussions, even the pointless ones. I know there is a machine or tool that fits everyones needs better than others. I think it is great that we can all discuss our likes and dislikes about things, I think it really helps the manufacturers make things better. Just like what was being discussed about the '09 PG. I know a lot of people pre-judge things, just by pics and heresey. It is good though for people to be able to post the true facts, and show how these machines or tools have made their business better and life easier.

John.

ted putnam
08-20-2008, 01:54 PM
...And I was by no means trying to "stir the pot" either! If it was taken that way, I am sorry. I just thought it was...I don't think "slick" is the right word, but smart how Z presented the info. And,for those who think distributors and manufacturers don't keep tabs on what is discussed on here....you're sadly mistaken!

Victor
08-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Real Green,

John..

Thanks for the feedback on your Z John. I'll tell you what, the market sure has changed quickly. It looks like there will be good options in every direction you look if you're in the market for ride-on spreader/sprayers next year. Everyone's stepping things up now it seems.

americanlawn
08-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Thanks PSU for the fine post. I like to hear what's going on with equipment so I can try it out, and maybe purchase. No need for folks to PM eachother, cuz everybody else wants to know stuff too. Nobody "hijacked" anything. Just good comparisons (thanks guys). I almost think lawnsite could make a seperate category for ride-ons cuz each have good features. And more & more LCO's are using them. No need for a separate thread for any brand of ride-on........just lump 'em all together so it's easier for folks to make a decision.

How 'bout it lawnsite??? Is it time for a ride-on sprayer/spreader category?

As far as wearing gloves while using a ride-on..........:laugh:

the new 2009 Magnum has 3 main improvements:

SmartSteer is a patent pending "power steering" system that makes the Magnum 50% easier to steer. Amazingly the handles, controls and PermaGreen steering motion haven't changed. The only difference is that SmartSteer automatically cuts the steering effort in half! SmartSteer is so naturally intuitive there is nothing extra to learn or think about and no extra levers to pull. You never have to let go so both you and the machine are always under control.

The Magnum SmartSteer also has a hand-operated braking system that works well in both forward and reverse.

A silky smooth push pull cable opens and closes the hopper. It is heavy duty stainless steel and has 3/16 inch threaded operating ends.

All these systems have been thoroughly field tested under actual heavy production conditions, and they have been performing extremely well. The technicians involved in the testing, in the most enthusiastic terms, prefer operating the SmartSteer over any of the other PermaGreens they have used in the past.

We will show the SmartSteer for the first time on Aug. 21 at the Indiana State Lawn Care Association show.
I will try to post the picture I have soon.

Victor
08-20-2008, 07:54 PM
With there being so many members here that do use ride-on spreader/sprayers, I think it would be a great idea to create a forum that's dedicated to their users, or at least people who are interested in them. That's a great idea Larry.

americanlawn
08-20-2008, 08:53 PM
I think it's a fine idea if lawnsite would open a 'separate channel' for ride-ons only. It should feature advantages, disadvantages, pricing, and new stuff. It should also include ride-ons for sale as well as feedback from operators. All on one site.......instead of having to fish around all over the place. No bad mouthing needed....just show pics, results & stats. This way we all can see.

Anybody else agree? (create a ride-on category) rscvp, thanks :usflag::canadaflag:

The time has come now.
With there being so many members here that do use ride-on spreader/sprayers, I think it would be a great idea to create a forum that's dedicated to their users, or at least people who are interested in them. That's a great idea Larry.

ted putnam
08-21-2008, 12:04 AM
I agree on the new category! As far as the glove thing on a ride on...I don't and probably wouldn't do it. However, they do make nitrile medical gloves that fit snug and would offer some chemical protection...and if it makes a person feel better or stay compliant with state law,so be it. There's no way I would drive around with the big "guantlet" nitriles I wear to spray with the hose/gun.:laugh: Talk about goofy...

yardprospraying
08-21-2008, 10:33 AM
I agree on the new category! As far as the glove thing on a ride on...I don't and probably wouldn't do it. However, they do make nitrile medical gloves that fit snug and would offer some chemical protection...and if it makes a person feel better or stay compliant with state law,so be it. There's no way I would drive around with the big "guantlet" nitriles I wear to spray with the hose/gun.:laugh: Talk about goofy...

Ted,

I started using an all leather riding glove. I use two different kinds, one is full fingered and the other has the fingers cut out. They are kind of like weight lifting gloves. They also have wrist support, which really helps on those long days, especially when lifting a lot of bags of fert. I only wear the nitrile when mixing.

John.

bj22
08-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Any pics of the 09 pg?

PSUTURFGEEK
08-21-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't have any yet but it's very similar looking to the 08 Magnum as far as appearance, the new steering is really cool, I was amazed at how easy it is compared to previous models, I am being told you can get one as early as mid sept.

teeca
08-21-2008, 09:12 PM
the supply and demand for ride on units is so up and comming.... PG has the boomless which i'm a fan of, Z-Spray has the enginering but with booms, turfco has what looks to be a a good unit, but a ball breaking non-industry standard steering wheel??? wtf? and the guy from lawn solutions says he's comming out with a unit, and if he does to the ride on sprayer that he did to the power seeder, then were in business!! the more we post are likes and dis-likes one these forums, the better the ride ons will get.... will they be perfect? who knows, but ive got 2 magnums and a ultra (for sale by the way) and will spend less money on the PG buying new or even used until somebody comes out with what i want (or i make it myself) before i'd spend $9k for a unit that has booms, and would limit me on the properties i have. jmo

ZSpray Info
08-22-2008, 10:41 AM
the supply and demand for ride on units is so up and comming.... PG has the boomless which i'm a fan of, Z-Spray has the enginering but with booms, turfco has what looks to be a a good unit, but a ball breaking non-industry standard steering wheel??? wtf? and the guy from lawn solutions says he's comming out with a unit, and if he does to the ride on sprayer that he did to the power seeder, then were in business!! the more we post are likes and dis-likes one these forums, the better the ride ons will get.... will they be perfect? who knows, but ive got 2 magnums and a ultra (for sale by the way) and will spend less money on the PG buying new or even used until somebody comes out with what i want (or i make it myself) before i'd spend $9k for a unit that has booms, and would limit me on the properties i have. jmo

Just curious as to why you dislike booms? Ours are 3 section and foldable. Each section is controled by its own valve giving the capability of spray widths of 2-4-6, or 8 feet, or even 10 feet on our Max.

However we can custom build a machine without booms, using a Turbo FloodJet nozzle. We generally recommend the air injected nozzle as it will provide a more course droplet and less manipulated by drift.

teeca
08-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Just curious as to why you dislike booms? Ours are 3 section and foldable. Each section is controled by its own valve giving the capability of spray widths of 2-4-6, or 8 feet, or even 10 feet on our Max.

However we can custom build a machine without booms, using a Turbo FloodJet nozzle. We generally recommend the air injected nozzle as it will provide a more course droplet and less manipulated by drift.

i guess it would be the fact that i'm sooo used to the boomless and the fact of one more thing to think about while spraying. i can run along the top of a ditch staying level on the ground and hit any weeds in it. yes i could do the same with the booms, but if a utility pole comes up i need to swerve out to miss it. going inbetween trees, stoping to fold in the booms, etc. just not that cool of a deal for me. jmo

ps.. i've demo'd your mechine and it IS the sh*t don't get me wrong, but now there is the t3000 that claimes to handle a hill like no other. so i guess when a mechine built as good as yours, and that everybody says good about comes along that will handle the biggest of hills, spray boomless, and that does not have a steering wheel, i'll probly get it. (that might take to long, if thats the case i'm most likly going with yours) i'd like an intermedit model with boomless, and the extra 8gal tank with it's own nozzel that would spray 8-10'.