PDA

View Full Version : Renovation II

RedWingsDet
08-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Old 30 yr old system.

Old valves were completely buried, no box or anything.
PVB was cracked.

New Manifold with 18" of pvc extended from last valve to add the 5 other zones in 2 weeks.
(note to the wise guys: I understand I need to do it before winter, I am also aware of the fact that if I do not add them there will be water trapped in the remaining length of the manifold)

New PVB with boiler drain
New valves (pgv)
New Boxes
9 new pgps
10 new 4" (SRS & 1800's)
Repaired 3 leaks.

Within two weeks, I plan to have the other 5 lines pulled, 5 more valves with manifold (by using an elbow to the existing manifold), New clock, rain sensor, and everything else in place.

All original zones are renovated and are working far better than before. Did not have room on the crappy phone for the finished pic's. Will get some tomorrow.

Criticism will NOT be allowed. Just Kidding.

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-15-2008, 10:34 PM
nice pics brah

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Yikes!! No criticism? too bad :)

I see a boiler drain BEFORE the PVB. Some of us have debated this before. It does not meet codes here, although I see it a lot.

Good job on pushing for a major upgrade. have fun. :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-15-2008, 10:43 PM

I see a boiler drain BEFORE the PVB. Some of us have debated this before. It does not meet codes here, although I see it a lot.

BD;s before the backflow are par here..and actually welcomed..

sweet.

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Nice boot pic. What brand were the valves removed?

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Ouch!!! That original manifold is a poly manifold. Thanks for replacing properly.

RedWingsDet
08-15-2008, 11:08 PM
DanaMac:
I only do pvc manifolds. I've replaced about 10 or so poly manifolds this year and switched them over to pvc.

Mike Leary:
Red Wings all the way. Both the boot and hockey team!

Old Valves were 1" richdel and 1 RB.
btw: There were originally 6 zones, however zone 6 is now concrete/driveway extension so its been capped off.

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 11:15 PM
DanaMac:
I only do pvc manifolds. I've replaced about 10 or so poly manifolds this year and switched them over to pvc.

Poly manis scare me. They just look ugly and unprofessional.

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Red Wings all the way. the boot

Me too, 40+ years of boots and Romeo's.

RedWingsDet
08-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Mike Leary & DanaMac:
My thoughts exactly.

( i thought you guys were going to be a though crowd........ or are you only tough on the guys who "think" they know how to do irrigation..... or is the wrath on me still coming? haha)

Anyhow:
I will post the final pic's tomorrow.... (pea gravel, manifold, valves, wiring, box, etc.)

Until then, from what you see, what could have been done better/differently?

BrandonV
08-15-2008, 11:22 PM
why do you put all the valves together like that???? Whynot put one here and there ? j/k. I have a client that has moved from the north down here and he keeps thinking we're going to put in a big manifold and asked me to price poly pipe... much to my surprise was more $, of course I understand plowing is cheaper.. unless of course you're on a rock pipe like us in which case it ain't

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=RedWingsDet;2468255 i thought you guys were going to be a though crowd. is the wrath on me still coming? ?[/QUOTE]

Yup, the wrath will descend until you learn to spell "tough". What's the deal
with no flow controls, got the system designed to the t*ts?

EagleLandscape
08-15-2008, 11:34 PM
first manifold has 6 valves, 2nd pic has 5 valves? eliminate a zone?

..."I wonder why zone 6 isnt popping up?"...

RedWingsDet
08-15-2008, 11:36 PM
first manifold has 6 valves, 2nd pic has 5 valves? eliminate a zone?

..."I wonder why zone 6 isnt popping up?"...

read post #7

AI Inc
08-16-2008, 12:22 AM

Your right , it doesnt meet code. It is also the way all reputable companies in NE do it. No sceduling blowouts that way. When a system needs to be inspected , we will put a plug there and then replace it with a boiler drain the first fall.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Yup, the wrath will descend until you learn to spell "tough". What's the deal
with no flow controls, got the system designed to the t*ts?

Ditto.... No flo controls:confused: Not wild about manifolds but they do allow for easy access to adjust the FCs so seems like a no brainer to me.:)

DanaMac
08-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Ditto.... No flo controls:confused: Not wild about manifolds but they do allow for easy access to adjust the FCs so seems like a no brainer to me.:)

Honestly, most homes here do not have them. And I don't install them either unless replacing one that already had one. Most good installers will at least put them on a the drip zones though.

AI Inc
08-16-2008, 07:26 AM
You never see them in this area either. We have used them in the rare cases where we use a master valve, thats about it.

Wet_Boots
08-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Reliable valves manage without flow controls, but it is kind of a no-brainer way to upgrade the reliability.

Kiril
08-16-2008, 12:44 PM

Put a hose bibb vac break on it then it will meet code.

Wet_Boots
08-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Put a hose bibb vac break on it then it will meet code.Makes it kind of hard to use the hose bib for winterizing, though.

Kiril
08-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Makes it kind of hard to use the hose bib for winterizing, though.

Then get one that is removable. :hammerhead:

Lawnworks
08-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Why do you put them so close together? If you have to cut one valve out... the whole manifold is toast.

Wet_Boots
08-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Why do you put them so close together? If you have to cut one valve out... the whole manifold is toast.Why would anyone cut out a threaded valve?

DanaMac
08-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Put a hose bibb vac break on it then it will meet code.

No it won't. Not here. If there is any way to attach a hose before the BFV it fails. Now, you can have the hose bibb and cut off the threads, making it just a drain. then it meets codes.

But we've discussed this before. Even the testcocks on the BFV should be illegal then. You can easily hook a hose up to those. Rarely are things inspected here at time of install. Rarely are permits pulled for them either.

Wet_Boots
08-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I suppose someone could come up with some sort of combination of an unthreaded drain valve and a sort of quick-connect winterizing fitting that would hook onto it somehow.

Mike Leary
08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
No it won't. Not here.

Not here either, I have convinced my purveyor to let me glue a plug in if
there's a cross-connection like a boiler drain.

greenmonster304
08-16-2008, 08:38 PM
No it won't. Not here. If there is any way to attach a hose before the BFV it fails. Now, you can have the hose bibb and cut off the threads, making it just a drain. then it meets codes.

But we've discussed this before. Even the testcocks on the BFV should be illegal then. You can easily hook a hose up to those. Rarely are things inspected here at time of install. Rarely are permits pulled for them either.

are all the hose bibs on the houses in your area protected with some kind of device or just ones affiliated with the irrigation system? Not to bring up the whole Suffolk county back flow thing again but here nobody puts vb on hose bibs your lucky if they put a back flow on a system.

DanaMac
08-16-2008, 08:56 PM
are all the hose bibs on the houses in your area protected with some kind of device or just ones affiliated with the irrigation system? Not to bring up the whole Suffolk county back flow thing again but here nobody puts vb on hose bibs your lucky if they put a back flow on a system.

Yes all new homes in the last 20-30 years have them on the spigot.

Wet_Boots
08-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Hose vacuum breakers are on their way to becoming standard issue. Lots of new construction uses frost-proof faucets with built-in AVBs.

DanaMac
08-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Hose vacuum breakers are on their way to becoming standard issue. Lots of new construction uses frost-proof faucets with built-in AVBs.

that's pretty much what we have here.

irrig8r
08-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Been that way here for years...the faucet AVBs I mean, not the frost proof.

Kiril
08-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes all new homes in the last 20-30 years have them on the spigot.

So if it passes code on those bibbs, why not the bibb on the backflow? A hose bibb is a hose bibb, heh?

DanaMac
08-17-2008, 11:05 AM
So if it passes code on those bibbs, why not the bibb on the backflow? A hose bibb is a hose bibb, heh?

OK I was probably wrong on that one. How would one hook up a PVB AFTER the AVB on a hose bibb without it looking completely unprofessional? I have seen it where someone has used a few fittings and a "Y" fitting coming out of the bibb, and installed a PVB. Tackiest thing I have ever seen. But I suppose it works.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about a hose bibb with the integrated AVB and attaching to the outgoing threads. Not sure how codes would affect it if the PVB was hooked in BEFORE an AVB bibb. Or how one would even do that, especially with ours being the frost proof ones. Ugly and unprofessional, in my mind, but we all do things we need to sometimes. I too have done things "ugly and unprofessional" at times.

Waterit
08-17-2008, 01:43 PM

Hose VB's are the standard here, can't pass an inspection without them even for irrigation PAST the irrigation backflow. Supposed to paint the irrigation faucets yellow and attach a metal tag stating it's non-potable, too, but of course no one does.

Frostproof faucets becoming more the norm around here, too, even if you can count on one hand the number of days per year we actually get a frost:)