PDA

View Full Version : The art of selling

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Man do hate selling!! This is one main reason I stopped doing installs. I don't like selling a job. I do not like giving someone a proposal for a $2000-$8000+ sprinkler system. It honestly seems like a waste to me.

I looked at a backyard install today. 3 zones with 12 total rotors. backflow, controller and wires in place. Open dirt lot. $2250. When I wrote up the proposal, I dreaded going up to the homeowner and presenting it. I basically folded it, handed it to him with my business card and just kind of said "please discuss it with your wife and call with any questions". Actually a little more than that, but not much more.

I kind of get the idea they will get lower bids anyway. She told me over the phone "Other companies have told me $500 per zone. What's a zone?" So I know I will be higher in price than the others. I did tell the husband that, but also stressed that we are a service company first, and will be around to service it in the future.

I could never be a salesman. Good luck Tony :)

CAPT Stream Rotar
08-15-2008, 10:51 PM
I love selling systems.

Mike Leary
08-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I love selling systems.

::::Falls over :::::

DanaMac
08-15-2008, 11:25 PM
If I got back into doing installs, I would have to hire Tony as my parttime sales guy. instead of being Sprinklerguy, he can now be SalesGuy.

AI Inc
08-16-2008, 12:26 AM
The key to selling is to make yourself stand out from the rest. I also like to find something to connect with the prospect. When I get there I take a look around, what do I see? a fishing boat? snowmobiles, a Harley? Those things will always come up in conversation. Usualy if they have a dog , they end up buying from me.

DanaMac
08-16-2008, 07:05 AM
The key to selling is to make yourself stand out from the rest. I also like to find something to connect with the prospect. When I get there I take a look around, what do I see? a fishing boat? snowmobiles, a Harley? Those things will always come up in conversation. Usualy if they have a dog , they end up buying from me.

I always try to interact with the dogs too. Kids on the other hand.... keep 'em away.

It is good to find some interaction or common interest. Met with a client that wants a couple new zones and other additions. He brought up the fact that I was wearing a Red Sox cap. So I mentioned I was born there, born a Sox fan, blah, blah, blah. he mentioned he went to law school at Boston College, etc., etc. I try and look around the garage actually - hey nice tools; nice fly rods; cool motorcycle I've never ridden one. Try to spark a little conversation.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Selling can be fun. I focus on education. I do believe in doing as little prep as possible. Where selling kills you is when you invest a lot of prep time and then don't get the job. Just have a great schtick, bring your calendar, and ask them when you can schedule the job on it.

Tom Tom
08-16-2008, 10:17 AM
I hear ya Man...........

I don't know how install guys do it so cheap........what a minute they do crap work and WE fix it later.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-16-2008, 10:34 AM
It's also a lot easier to close sales with Old People:)

DanaMac
08-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Yeah they just forget the next day that you ripped 'em off!! :laugh:

Tom Tom
08-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Yup, they know what they want and tend to hire the person and not the price.

Show up on time, half way clean cut and your in

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah they just forget the next day that you ripped 'em off!! :laugh:

It's all about your attitude. One persons ripoff is another persons upgrade.

New terminology

use upgrade not ripoff.

value not bargain.

sell green turf and healthy beautiful flowers not pipe and sprinkler heads.

Sell self managing timers not irrigation programs.

Always add "and the best part of this deal is that you get me as your sprinkler man!"

DanaMac
08-16-2008, 10:48 AM
It's all about your attitude. One persons ripoff is another persons upgrade.

Hope you know I was kidding.

DanaMac
08-16-2008, 10:55 AM
I guess it's because I don't like be sold to by sales people. I just want the price, will research myself, don't stand there waiting for me to make a decision and hand you a check. Had a bad experience buying my truck 3 years ago. and the one before it. Hate dealerships. Sorry Tony.

I've had guys stand right there and wait for me to make an decision on the spot for a new roof and new driveway. Sorry, not gonna happen. A purchase like that will not be made rashly by me.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Hope you know I was kidding.
I know:rolleyes:...... catch a trout for me today

Mike Leary
08-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Always add "and the best part of this deal is that you get me as your sprinkler man!"

I've turned down some jobs because I did not think I could provide service
'cause they were such dorks. I have also said, " you never want to alienate
your sprinkler man". Few prospective clients understand that service after the
install is the name of the game. I've picked-up many clients because " we got
no phone calls returned by the contractor". With my business model, I'd be
looking up their address as they were explaining the problem, there are areas
in my market I just won't service, but if you live in one of our "gold coast"
areas, I'll be there in fifteen minutes.

bicmudpuppy
08-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Danna, you just need a perspective adjustment. LIFE is sales. WHAT you sell is the key. Make the same investment in sales that you do in troubleshooting and repair. Raw sales is always a numbers game. What percentage do you WANT. I always liked 20%. That means that for every Yes, you must get 4 "no sale" answers. Promote your product and the pride you have in it and let the rest fall where it may. If you get 2 or 3 yes answers in a row, then you have to KNOW that the NO's will follow eventually. A "tire kicker" you can qualify early is still a "no". The average consumer is not a shopper. You have to do the research for them, or they will take the low price instead. If your not willing to do that, then your "number" is going to be lower than the 20%, but if your comfortable with it, then...........no worries. 10% means your hunting for those 9 that say no. Your attitude will improve if the "I'm sorry, we were looking for a cheap system" is a "win" because it counts toward the "no's" you need to make the next real sale.

I had the pleasure of seeing the same customer twice when I was in DFW years ago. The first time was to give them a bid for a system..............I gave them the "pay me now or pay me later" speech. The outfit I was working for helped me decide to make a change...........I was doing repair work for a different company and............Oooops, guess where I go for a service call from hell to fix a "cheap" system :) :) :):drinkup:

AI Inc
08-17-2008, 07:27 AM

A car saleman around here was arrested 2 yrs ago for selling a man with alzimers 13 vehicles in under a yr.

FIMCO-MEISTER
08-17-2008, 08:28 AM
A car saleman around here was arrested 2 yrs ago for selling a man with alzimers 13 vehicles in under a yr.

You don't have to be old to have alzheimers. That guy was scum. The old people I deal with enjoy my passion and want to see what I can achieve.