PDA

View Full Version : "That's not Cast..."

bobcat_ron
08-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Dad and I got bored after dinner (again) and with scrap metal prices being as good as they are, he wanted to smash something real good, so he grabbed this 8" (apparently) cast iron pipe, his intent was to smash it, let it shatter in to a kajillion pieces and get top dollar for the chunks.

I guess we were both fooled (again)

Oh well, behold, the mighty, the magnificent and majestic "retirement statement", and the decrepit old man that operates it. :laugh:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/rdj-digi-vids/th_Pictures895.jpg (http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/rdj07/rdj-digi-vids/?action=view&current=Pictures895.flv)

kreft
08-16-2008, 12:09 AM
HAHAHAH.good video

Gravel Rat
08-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Any steel 3 feet and under is classed as prepared steel which you will get the best price for. If its over 3 feet in length its oversize. The price of cast isn't that good unless its clean engine blocks. Brake drums is the highest grade cast especially clean drums off of air brake trucks.

Scott Road Trading is giving the best price on scrap right now.

Bleed Green
08-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Why did he want to break it up just to recycle it? Why not just take it whole?

bobcat_ron
08-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Why did he want to break it up just to recycle it? Why not just take it whole?

The smaller the pieces, the better the money, or the scrap yards have to spend their money to cut it up.

We were both expecting freaking shrapnel to start flying every where, I smashed a 15/16" thick 20 foot PVC pipe once to dispose of it, and that was awesome!

Gravel Rat
08-16-2008, 11:17 PM
The price of scrap has gone down its only 150 dollars a ton it was up to 230.

Scrap yards especially out here on the West Coast of B.C. mainly in the Lowermainland are Jewish owned and operated you treat them right they give you the best price. When you show up with nice prepared steel they give you top price. You show some candy on top and the not so good stuff is buried underneith.

I used to haul scrap and my familly has been in scrap business for a long time.