PDA

View Full Version : spotted spurge

humble1
08-16-2008, 12:18 AM
Anyone else consider this one of those hard to get weeds, i swear it just keeps popping up or is it just burning down then bouncing back. Using eliminate d and octane.

greendoctor
08-16-2008, 03:14 AM
This is a weed that produces a lot of seeds. Before you are about to spray it, pull one up. Does it look like a seedling or is it a thick looking weed that looks like its top was killed several times. Hawaii is full of this noxious pest. If a lawn has this, I broadcast the whole lawn with Gallery + Speedzone. Most preemergents do not do much to this weed. You need Gallery to stop the seeds from germinating around the mother plant. Spurges as a rule are hard to kill. Turflon ester will probably be good as well. I do not like amines on spurges because of the waxy, hard leaves and stems.

LawnTamer
08-16-2008, 03:20 AM
3-way and tri-mec plus don't get it. I have had good luck with momentum fx, chaser. Back in the early 90s, the company I worked for used 3 way spiked with Banvel(dicamba) and it worked well.

Right now, I am using a generic momentum fx, plus a generic drive, it does very well on weeds, even spurge, oxalis, purslane etc. It seems to be struggling with grassy weeds like crabgrass.:confused:

greendoctor
08-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Chaser is 2,4-D ester + triclopyr ester. Do not know of many broadleaves resistant to that combination. Regular Three Way and Trimec are amine herbicides with a low rate of dicamba. When I was working for a company and had 2 acres of lawn(seashore paspalum) full of this weed, I used 8 oz Banvel + 1.5 lb 2,4-D ester per acre. That was way less expensive than Trimec and it did a much better job on the weeds. Only problem is I had to mix and apply this personally. It is not safe to give this out to labourers who will throw an ounce per gallon of each into a hand sprayer and spot spray this mix. Trees and lawns were damaged by this being done.

RigglePLC
08-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Spurge is everywhere! (at this time of year.) I hate this spurge! I feel that something with dicamba is the best bet to control it. But of course dicamba can be tough on trees and bushes by root uptake. (Like on redbud and linden for instance.)

I found I can control it by using Eliminate, surfactant, and the "Yankee Doodle " method. Simple. Aim at the weed and pull the trigger, whistle Yankee Doodle, let go of the trigger. Works great, but sometimes there is a little bit of a brown spot.

cod8825
08-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Like green doctor says I use an expensive cocktail but it works. I spot spray spurge with Q4 and Gallery for its pre-emergent properties.

Matt

olive123
08-16-2008, 07:58 PM
also on gallery, it really depends on the type of spurge. I believe it is the hysop variety that it wont control

greendoctor
08-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Another product that worked very well for me when Speedzone and Quicksilver were not on the market yet was Super Trimec(2,4-D ester, 2,4-DP ester, dicamba). That worked as fast as Speedzone and it was the only Trimec brand herbicde that produced results on spurges and oxalis in Hawaii. Didn't do the Yankee Doodle method with this. I used an XR11003 fan and did the lawn in two directions to ensure total coverage of the weeds. The ester formulation had a very good spreader in it. Spurge was dying in 24 hours and gone in about 7 days. Of course, once Speedzone became available here, Super Trimec had its registration revoked by the DOA. I always wanted to know what would happen if I added 1 oz Quicksilver to this one. There is a big difference between the MCPP in Speedzone and the 2,4-DP in Super Trimec. For one thing, MCPP is not effective on spruge and oxalis. 2,4-DP is normally used for tree and brush control in noncrop areas, so it is some powerful stuff.

gorknoids
08-22-2008, 12:33 AM
The problem is that it matures in something like a week and a half. I have no problem killing it, but as soon as I walk off the property 300 more of the little bastids sprout. God help you if you miss any!

greendoctor
08-22-2008, 02:27 AM
The problem is that it matures in something like a week and a half. I have no problem killing it, but as soon as I walk off the property 300 more of the little bastids sprout. God help you if you miss any!

That is why the high rate of Gallery goes in the tank if I have to do a lawn with this nasty weed in it. Also, this weed tends to show up in low fertility or nematode stressed lawns. Nothing can be done about the nematodes legally, but you can still fertilize.