PDA

View Full Version : High-side toolboxes for pickups

93Chevy
08-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I can't say I've ever seen a landscape truck with the high-side truck boxes on the side of their bed, but I was wondering if anybody on here has ever used them. I'm interested for a number of reasons:
1. I could afford a new truck next summer, but I know I can still get a number a years on mine and I don't want to raise the capital for something I don't necessarily need.
2. I don't have a trailer, anywhere to store a trailer.
3. I don't have an extended cab truck.
4. I don't have a shop or garage, only an area in my dad's shed, and I need most of my tools with me all the time.
5. I feel that any other tool box or combination of tool boxes would not give the room in the bed that I need or the room for tools that I need.

I have a cap on my truck now, with custom shelves for all my tools. I can carry my equipment from lawn to lawn in the back of the truck now, but whenever I do mulch or topsoil, I need it delivered and what if I get too much or too little? So next year, as I start getting closer to doing landscaping full time, I need the cap off my truck and an open bed with room for my tools.

Now that I've justified the cost and use of the boxes, my original point of the post was to gather opinions on brands, and practical usage.

Thanks.

Az Gardener
08-16-2008, 01:16 PM
I had a rig set up like that for years, 3/4 ton H/D Chevy just got rid of it, the box's are sitting on my driveway I need to sell them... It was great when we used P/U's now we have dump trucks. It extends the bed height so you can haul more. It keeps the sides of the truck from being scratched up with people leaning over the side. The only downside was the visibility but if you already have a cap you are used to it. It does make the bed narrower at the top so don't forget that. They do cover the wheel wells and a couple onches more. Don't forget they have legs too they are a bit of a pain but not too bad. You can get a lot of stuff in those box's.

93Chevy
08-16-2008, 03:13 PM
That's exactly the type of reply I was looking for: first-hand experience and no BS. Thanks AZ.

browningv308
08-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Ive used them before for heating and air and they work great for that but when i started doing landscaping they just weren't very practical except for hauling mulch every thing from the weed eater to the gas cans are just too big and long to fit in the toolboxes

dura to the max
08-18-2008, 10:05 PM
i would love those boxes on my truck, but i just had my logo done on the rear window so it would defeat the purpose of the logo.:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

dura to the max
08-18-2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242538

heres a link to the rear window.

93Chevy
08-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Dura to the max: Your truck looks good, and yes, they would defeat the purpose of the rear windor lettering.

BrowningV308: That does raise a good point as I would have nowhere to keep or lock my equipment. At least with the cap, everything sits in the dry and relative safety, although I am seriously cut down the the types of jobs I can do with a cap.

browningv308
08-18-2008, 11:34 PM
how about rigging up some pulleys to a tree so you can lift the camper shell off the truck when you need the bed to be open or just charge the deliveries of soil or mulch to the customer

93Chevy
08-19-2008, 07:24 AM
I wouldn't have any problem with delivering mulch and soil, because so far, I've been right on in my estimates. However, the supply company I use, and I'd rather use them than anybody else, doesn't always get the yardage quite right. I mean, they're usually over, which isn't always good.

I have custom shelves in my cap, so I can't take it off, not only because the shelves are blocking the clamps, but I'd have to undo the shelves every time and that's not feasable.

If I didn't have all the stupid excuses, that would be a good idea.

wildlandscape
08-19-2008, 11:22 PM
if you do a lot of irrigation and pruning then the high side boxes would be nice to have